PDA

View Full Version : Vibrations from James Tailpiece

Jeff Budz
Mar-08-2012, 12:47pm
I can't get my James to stop vibrating with the cover closed. I have resorted to grometting it closed, but I bought it so I wouldn't have to use them. And it's not vibrations or string harmonics, it's the cover that is doing it.

I think the angle of the tailpiece may be the problem, I've tried raising the angle a few times with the strings off but it is almost like it keeps going back to the way it was. I'm wondering if I should swap it out or switch to a fully cast unit with no cover.

Any help / suggestions would be appreciated.

Brandon Johnson
Mar-08-2012, 1:16pm
Jeff, I have the same issue with my James tailpiece. I have put the rubber grommets between each pair of strings, and it helped a little bit. Haven't found the total answer. I don't know if it's my picking pressure or overtones or what, but I fight with the same problem you have. It seems to fluctuate as temperature and humidity change, have you experienced that?

MikeEdgerton
Mar-08-2012, 1:19pm
Are you talking about the grommets that are part of the tailpiece?

JFDilmando
Mar-08-2012, 1:22pm
I think a message to Bill James would be in order.... He is a excellent guy to work with, and I expect he might do something to help you out with this issue.... don't know, but doesn't sound right to me... I have three James tailpieces and never have seen what you are describing....

Brandon Johnson
Mar-08-2012, 1:25pm
I put additional grommets in my strings, and attempted to adjust the grommets that are part of the tailpiece.

Gail Hester
Mar-08-2012, 1:36pm
There are a couple installation and maintenance points that are included in the instructions that come with the James tailpiece but are often missed. The first is the installation angle and the tailpiece is designed to be able to make this adjustment. The angle is best obtained while the tailpiece is off, holding it in place while using a straight edge along the tailpiece to the bridge, then making small adjustments until it is correct. The other issue is that the O-rings require a dab of lubrication when installed and periodically thereafter so that it clicks shut properly. They are great tailpieces and I have installed a bunch of them without problems following the instructions .

P Josey
Mar-08-2012, 1:38pm
I find what works best in adjusting the angle of a James Tailpiece is to remove it from the mandolin and use a vise to do the adjusting. I'm too cautious when I attempt this with the tailpiece attached to the mandolin and it seems to "go back to the way it was". I use padding on the vice jaws to prevent marking the tailpiece. Good luck.

billhay4
Mar-08-2012, 2:34pm
I also think it is designed to be adjusted once only, not for frequent bending. I would think a poor adjustment of this angle might lead to vibrations as described.
Bill

Jeff Budz
Mar-08-2012, 3:20pm
I'm pretty sure the angle just needs to get bent up, away from the body, but I just can't get the leverage on it while it's attached, and I don't want to risk breaking the mandolin. I suppose I will have to remove it, fasten to wood, measure, bend with mini pry bar, re-measure, guess & hope. It's just a wicked pain to do because you don't know if you got it right till you restring the instrument. My electric endpin complicates matters too...

Big Joe
Mar-08-2012, 4:04pm
If you don't have the instructions to adjust the tailpiece angle just contact Bill James and he will provide you a copy. They do have to be fitted to the instrument in some cases.