PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference between....

sallyann
Mar-05-2012, 12:42am
What's the difference between a Gibson Master Model F5V built in Bozeman and a Flatiron of the same year, both signed by Weber? I've been trying to come up to speed on this era under Gibson. I've seen several messages on the difference in neck joints b/t the two brands (mortise and tenon vs dovetail) and bracing (X vs. tone bars). I think these differences existed before the move to Nashville. Right? They seem to fall into two entirely different resale classes now and I'm just trying to figure it all out. What am I missing? :confused:

Buck
Mar-05-2012, 11:40am
I don't believe any Nashville mandolins used a bolt on neck, which was the method for the Montana mandolins. (Someone please correct me if I've oversimplified that.)

During the Bozeman period most Gibsons used tone bar bracing, while most Flatirons used X-bracing. Again, that may be an oversimplification, but I believe it is generally true. However, there are X-braced Gibsons and tone bar braced Flatirons.

Regardless of how they are built or sound, Gibsons from that era generally sell for more than the analogous Flatiron.

You mentioned and F5-V, which would be a varnish finish.