PDA

View Full Version : Altman 2 point mandolin

Wilbur James
Mar-04-2012, 8:24pm
I see there is one in ther classifieds (NFI). Looks great I wonder if they sound as good as all the others I have heard. Dont hear of many of these out there.

Clement Barrera-Ng
Mar-04-2012, 9:37pm
If you are seriously interested, email the buyer and he will tell you all about it. Seriously - John is a great guy to talk mandolin with and I had the pleasure of corresponding with him regarding one of his mandolins. Very knowledgeable and just a great guy to deal with.

Ken_P
Mar-04-2012, 10:07pm
I see there is one in ther classifieds (NFI). Looks great I wonder if they sound as good as all the others I have heard. Dont hear of many of these out there.

Just be glad I don't have that kind of money lying around or I would have snatched it up already :) That's a seriously MAS inducing instrument!

JFDilmando
May-03-2016, 11:50am
Bumping this..... a member here has recently acquired one of a very few Altman 2 pt mandolins.... perhaps only two made, and perhaps only one remaining... I had one of these Altman two points some years back, and I passed it on to another here in the Cafe, when I was amassing funds for a Loar...
I cannot for the life of me find any records of the particulars of this mandolin, nor the good soul who purchased it from me. It was finished in a mat satin finish, and was typical of Bob Altman's meticulous construction and it had, as would be expected, an incredible voice.

The member here who recently came into his two point would, understandably, like to account for the remaining example, if it still exists.... I say "still" as there is some evidence that it, or another Altman two point was destroyed in a car crash...

Help ?

Can anyone contribute any information as to who of you might have received this from me ???

Josh Levine
May-03-2016, 12:17pm
I saw that Altman for sale and it did not seem like too far a drive from me and was quite a bargain considering what his F models sell for... kind of regretting not taking that drive to check it out.

Jim Nollman
May-03-2016, 2:56pm
I bought it. You can read a long thread about touching up some scratches on it, in the builder's section. It is everything that folks above say about it. The voicing is superb.

I am the person trying to find out if the Bob Altman's only other two-point build still exists. I asked Bob about it and he said it may have been destroyed, but wasn't absolutely certain of that. I'd love to know if there are two of them, or just one.