PDA

View Full Version : Festivals - if you could see only one or two?

levin4now
Dec-14-2004, 10:10am
A while back I got the flyer for ordering Merlefest tickets. I've always wanted to go. I always say "Next year, I'm going!" I know there are some negatives about Merlefest that have been expressed in the past, but I can drive to it, and it has a ton of great bands/mando players at it.

So...I'm asking what festivals would you consider a top draw for you? Rockygrass? Winfield? Merlefest? What should i consider?

Any advice for attending Merlefest?

Jonathan James
Dec-14-2004, 10:35am
Go to Merlefest! The multi-stage approach is really cool, and you'll be hard-pressed to find a better collection of talent in one place. The no alcohol policy keeps the festival really pleasant. Workshops, great vendor tents, intimate and large stage settings. It is a GREAT time.

JDARTGOD
Dec-14-2004, 10:42am
Never been to Merlefest. Lineup is great, but I've heard lots of negatives, mainly associated with the HUGE Crowds. That's fine for some, but not my cup of tea.

The Wintergrass Festival in Tacoma, WA is always a winner. Great Lineup and 5 or 6 different stages with all acts performing on different stages on different days. Very easy to map out a good festival viewing game plan at this one.

The North Georgia Bluegrass Festival will be in it's 3rd year next summer. This one grew from 1st to 2nd year, but it has a SERIOUS lineup always. The Chevrolet dealersip owner (where the festival is held) is named Mitch Simpson. He is a Monster mando picker and enthusiast. He has arguably the best "Mando lineup" of any festival out there. Last year he had Ricky Skaggs, David Grisman, Alan Bibey, Andy Leftwich, John Wesley Lee, Adam Steffey, Jeff Parker, Doyle Lawson, and some others I'm sure I'm forgetting. This one is in Cleveland, GA around Mid July.

The Lonesome River Band Music fest will have its 2nd festival Easter Weekend 2005. It's the best $45 weekend ticket you can buy in my opinion. I'm friends with Jeff Parker and absolutely love Lonesome River Band, but they have a killer lineup as well. I'll be on top of the hill again next year, right behind the seating area at the outdoor amphitheater.

LRB Musicfest 2005 (http://www.lrbmusicfest.com)

Tom C
Dec-14-2004, 10:50am
I was once interested in going to merlefest until one person from NC attended Greyfox and they were just blown away by it because no shuttle from campsite to stage. They thought Greyfox was really laid back. It's on private property so alcohol is permitted. No authorities are walking around so there is some weed smokin but kept in a low profile since it is a family atmosphere. At Merlefest you do not campout where the music is. You have to be shuttled. I hate shuttles. I can't imagine that as I like to see select bands and then pick for some and have a homebase to relax and still be part of festival. I would not want to walk around all day with my mando.

peterbc
Dec-14-2004, 11:29am
I went to Weiser for the first time this year and loved it. not much in the way of concerts if that's what you wanted, but I go for the jamming anyway. Also not as much bluegrass as I had hoped (but plenty of old time and swing), but I think they want to work on that.

GBG
Dec-14-2004, 11:35am
Would someone tell about the Winnfield festival? I'm thinking about going next year.

Tim Saxton
Dec-14-2004, 12:46pm
Go to Merlefest. It is hands down the best events I have ever been to. We travel 3000 miles just to go to it. We stay in a motel near by and drive evry day. It's not too bad.
Great bands, great people, and great times.

Tim Saxton

duuuude
Dec-14-2004, 2:00pm
That's easy:
Spring Strawberry Music Festival
Fall Strawberry Music Festival
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

GVD
Dec-14-2004, 8:58pm
If I could only go to one it would have to be Winfield. As the winfield-l@yahoogroups.com motto said last year it's "Summer Camp For Adults".

GVD

Jonathan James
Dec-15-2004, 5:21am
While I would not miss Merlefest each year, I would love to make it to the Telluride festival some time. The combination of the great bluegrass in that scenic locale seems like an unbeatable combination. Some year...

ootee1
Dec-15-2004, 1:18pm
Telluride is well worth the haul. Was there in '93 and '96 - not all bluegrass (wouldn't classify Ani Difranco as anywhere near the genre) but a fantastic conglomeration of eclectic music. You're right about the scenic locale. The concert field is set up against a box canyon of high peaks. It doesn't get much better. Although the weather can get pretty dramatic. We sat through 40 degree rain followed by 65 degree and sunny in the same day. Saw Strength in Numbers perform - what a show!

GVD
Dec-15-2004, 2:30pm
- not all bluegrass (wouldn't classify Ani Difranco as anywhere near the genre)

You mean Cake doesn't play bluegrass? # http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

GVD

Martin
Dec-15-2004, 5:26pm
Well I'd have to say Winfield but I live about 45 minutes away and haven't missed one in the last 13 years. Went early in the 70's a few times but don't recall much of that but I'm sure I had a good time. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

If you decide to go be prepred to do alot of pickin cause it's everywhere. All types of music not just bluegrass. Some of the stage shows are Ok but the campground picking is where I spend most of my time.
One stage show I was glad I didn't miss was John Reischman playing with the Waybacks he was playing his mando behind his head ala Jimi Hendrix, it was great.

Michael Lewis
Dec-18-2004, 1:49am
I have to speak up for the California Bluegrass Assn. Father's Day Bluegrass Festival in Grass Valley. At IBMA it was honored as the EVENT OF THE YEAR beating out Merle Fest and Wintergrass. It is a traditional bluegrass festival with some old time and some bluegrass gospel, but you won't find Ani DeFranco or even Strength In Numbers there. Very traditional music from well known bands.

There is a 3 day music camp that immediately preceeds the festival, and the instructors are nearly all very well known performers. John Reischman and Tom Rozum teach the mandolin classes, along with one other instructor, last year it was Skip Gorman.

You camp right in the fairgrounds among the tall pine trees and everything is within easy walking distance.

J. Mark Lane
Dec-18-2004, 9:02am
What? No mention of Bean Blossom?

cutbait2
Dec-19-2004, 1:05pm
get a copy of BG unlimited, lots of choices, if its a "music fest" lots of hippies, townies. a bluegrass fest, lots of motor homes containing pairs of retired BG fans who follow the festivals like deadheads did, plus a generally more local feel depending on the size........

Crowder
Dec-21-2004, 8:35pm
The indoor SPBGMA in Nashville in February is a unique experience for sure. Jamming EVERYWHERE.

mandolooter
Dec-23-2004, 11:47am
wintergrass in Tacoma...see ya there!~

mandofiddle
Dec-23-2004, 1:52pm
ROCKYGRASS!!!

Only one stage. Fairly small crowd-wise. River runs right by the stage and seating area for easy quick dips to cool off during the day. Camping on-site. GREAT lineup every year. #Lots of picking. Beer served by New Belgium Brewing Company (Mmm, Fat Tire). #I see folks I know every time I turn around. #I love it!