PDA

View Full Version : Gibson labels for sale on eBay?

dubbs
Feb-29-2012, 9:39pm
So someone is selling a roll of Gibson inside labels on ebay. I guess I could see someone wanting them for a Gibson collection. The evil side of me says the will get used to pass crappy foreign F-5 mandos off as gibsons. Then again I'm not sure if the labels look different from guitars to mandos. Thoughts?

stetson
Feb-29-2012, 9:48pm
With the printers available today that can virtually counterfeit money at home I wouldn't think it would be hard to print any labels you wanted. Caveat emptor.

dubbs
Feb-29-2012, 9:51pm
Good point.

MikeEdgerton
Feb-29-2012, 10:01pm
Gibson labels, Martin and Fender decals, etc. They've been available on eBay for years. Many of the labels do end up inside Pacrim mandolins. The eBay/Craigslist section of the Cafe is full of fake Gibson stories.

Big Joe
Feb-29-2012, 10:07pm
A lot of these labels are close, but not close enough. They can usually be spotted quite easily. Wrong type... wrong information...wrong size or style for era all contribute to the ability to spot a fake... most of the time.

Stephen Perry
Mar-01-2012, 7:20am
A wide range of Federal and state laws address passing off goods on a criminal level.

The civil remedy under the UCC would be difference between the goods as described and as delivered. So if one describes the mandolin as a Gibson worth $5000 and one delivers a mandolin worth $500, then the damages can be $4500, plus some other charges I suppose. One can always find some other counts in there.

Don't think that it doesn't happen - I know a fellow managed to put himself out of the music business through a mistake in describing an instrument. The other experts disagreed. $40K . . . .

Just make sure you can track down your defendant.