PDA

View Full Version : Eastman 915 - worth the extra 50% ?

scgc.om
Dec-13-2004, 8:41pm
I've been thinking seriously about buying an Eastman for nearly a year now. Like so MANY things, I should've acted sooner . . . !

I saw some at a big BlueGrass Festival last Feb and had a "credibility gap" kind of experience - i.e. "This is too good to be true"! For months now, I've realized that Eastman is perhaps one of the few instances of "Yes, it's too good AND it's true!".

I've realized that shopping for a high-quality mandolin is NOT like shopping for a high-quality guitar. Locating a good store with one or two dozen $3000+ guitars is DEAD EASY compared to finding a shop with EVEN ONE comparable (read in $7500+) F mandolin.

Compunding this: no one within 1000 miles carries Eastman. And so my Eastman purchase would probably have to be a case (yet another . . . !) of "Buy then try". And so I want to get it right the 1st time!!

Cut to the chase, my ? is this: I want an Eastman "15" mandolin.
My choices: The 515 at approx $1000, the 615 at appro $1500, the 815 at approx $2000 or the 915 at approx $3000.

I'm old/experienced enough to understand "Buy cheap - buy twice". So I want to make the right decision FIRST! I'm torn between an 815 and a 915.

Who can, from experience, persuade me of the superior value (at about 1/2 again the cost) of a 915?

OR, who can, again from direct experience, convince me that saving nearly $1000 and getting an 815 is better value?

Thanks in advance.

fatt-dad
Dec-13-2004, 9:02pm
Or you could get a Stiver A-model, a Gibson A5-L or a Flatiron. . . . .

f-d

flairbzzt
Dec-13-2004, 9:08pm
My understanding is that the basic differences is cosmetic (gold hardware, degree of flame of woods, etc.). Talk to Steve Perry at Gianna Violins. He was one of the first to sell them (sold a 515 serial #1)and is a good friend of Gordon Roberts, Eastmans's main guitar and mandolin man. He's an honest, standup guy who won't under or oversell you , and I believe he has seen or handled most of the models in Eastman's lineup. No financial/other interest here. Just my advice. /giannaviolins.com/

Lane Pryce
Dec-14-2004, 1:10pm
Yeah I have to second what Rick said. I am a previous owner of a 615. It had it all; great tone, wood and craftsmanship. I did not have the patience to play it in so I sold it and purchased a used F9 and I have not looked back. Steve offers a trial period with the purchase of his instruments so have no fear. However before I would plop down 3K on an Eastman I'd go and play a Gibson, Flatiron, Weber ect. Test the water and see whats out there. Don't forget the Cafe classifides. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif Lp

ab4usa
Dec-14-2004, 1:25pm
I was at teh DC Eastman Get Together last night and both Gordon and another guy from Eastman were pretty honest in saying that the only difference was cosmetics. They did say that the prototype radiused fret board had been done and it was planned as an option. I don't recall if they expected this to be available on all models or not.

Stephen Perry
Dec-14-2004, 2:32pm
I have a 915. I don't care if it is just cosmetic, the maple binding is gorgeous.

EastmanGordon
Dec-22-2004, 3:50pm
Thought you might like to see a picture of one of my heroes, Mr Dave Pegg of Fairport Convention with his MD915. Peggy was playing it at Ralph McTell's 50th. birthday celebration at The Festival Hall in London.
Here is the link http://www.fairportconvention.com/news04.htm
Gordon
ps. Dave is also the bass player for another obscure Brit Folk/Rock band that you might have heard of called Jethro Tull.

EastmanGordon
Dec-22-2004, 4:26pm
I'm sure Ralph would be delighted to hear about my misprint above but in fact it was his 60th birthday not 50th as previously posted.
Doh!
Gordon