PDA

View Full Version : fretboard may be too thin....

buckhorn
Feb-27-2012, 9:38am
I've been working on a mandolin for a friend that is truely custom...He wanted a wider body to get more base sound,and a compound radiused fretboard (9in to 12in)..My first time trying to radius....In the process of sanding , I noticed that the edges of the board has gotten pretty thin...I have always bound my fretboards and am concerned about the thickness...My question is , has anyone ever glued a piece of laminate under the fretboard to made it thicker ?....also, what would you use on the ebony fretboard to ensure a good glue bond..i've heard that acetone takes the oils out of ebony and helps this...He also wants the tail to be scooped and i am worried that there is not enough wood left for this...any help would be appreciated.....keith

Bill Snyder
Feb-27-2012, 9:52am
Keith, more builders might see this in the Builders section (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?45-Builders-and-Repair).

buckhorn
Feb-27-2012, 9:56am
My bad....guess I was on the wrong thread...don't know how to move it without reposting....maybe someone can help....where is the brain when you really need it....keith