PDA

View Full Version : Thomastik Heavies

Steven Clarkson
Feb-24-2012, 9:42pm
I stand by these strings - never had a string break - they don't need to be changed that often - and they are very easy on the fingers - every thing on my album "Twelve" forward uses these strings. They have sounded excellent on my L. Smart, my Altman, and my DG1 - the only mandolin I have now is the DG1, but that's another story.

It's nice to approach your mandolin after you haven't played it in days or it the weather has been up and down to not need to make a lot of adjustments.

I played with J74s for years and I feel that their is no comparison - but then again I don't play bluegrass.

Hope this might help someone - they are expensive - but some people change their 74s every week - not a big price difference.

This probably should have been posted in a different section - haven't been on the cafe for awhile.

shiloh
Feb-24-2012, 10:06pm
Hi Steven,
Depending upon the mandolin and the genre, the Thomastik strings can create a debate. But having said that, I totally agree. I've used the J-74s and the EXPs for years on all my mandolins. Although I still prefer the D'addarios for my F mandolins, the Thomastik stark (heavy) strings are amazing on my little, flat, Weber Aspen 2. Every time someone overhears me playing it I am asked "what is that mandolin you're playing?" I attribute that to an exceptionally good mandolin, but also the starks. Honestly, it makes no sense that this flat mandolin with an odd-shaped "D" hole should sound so good. I've given up trying to figure it out!
Thanks for your music. I still enjoy listening to Meow Meow Baby. God Bless, Jill G, San Diego

chasray
Feb-24-2012, 10:53pm
I just put Thomastik heavies on a Rigel A+ deluxe. Very impressed.

Steven Clarkson
Feb-24-2012, 10:54pm
; Jill,

So great to hear from you. I remember you like it was yesterday. I hope your "mandolin" dreams are coming around. My new album "Sunsets" is available was well as "Meow Meow Baby" for free download - pass it along and share the love - "Meow Meow Baby" was played at the recent home and garden thing in Austin. I really appreciate you support throughout the years!

Steven Clarkson
Feb-24-2012, 10:56pm
My first top notch mandolin was an A plus - great instrument and a good string choice - hope you enjoy and thanks for chiming in!

Eddie Sheehy
Feb-24-2012, 10:59pm
I have TI Starks on my DG1. I like them, but I've had my detractors...

Steven Clarkson
Feb-24-2012, 11:06pm
Detractors?

Steven Clarkson
Feb-24-2012, 11:08pm
The only problems I have had with pic noise on recordings - something everyone struggles with. I would be really interested in you input.

shiloh
Feb-24-2012, 11:12pm
I also had a Rigel A. By far the nicest playing mandolin I ever owned. Chasray, where in KY are you? I'll be back there in a few months to visit family. Do you own a Weber Aspen?

Steven, I just downloaded Twelve. Thanks so much! Will have to get Sunsets next.

Eddie Sheehy
Feb-25-2012, 2:26am
DETRACTOR: As in this Youtube comment:

I think the heavy strings you have on the DGM1 are choking the sound a bit and not letting the top resonate to its full potential. Do you have them on there for feel? If not, then I'd say try a set of mediums and see if it's any better. Of course, it's all a matter a preference, so if your happy, that's all that really matters.

BlameItOnGreg

chasray
Feb-25-2012, 3:27pm
Do you own a Weber Aspen?

No, that's a Weber Bridger in my avatar. I probably play it the most. Starks will go on it next! ( or maybe Jazzmando 11's from Ted if cash is low :) ) I'm in Western KY where bluegrass is king, but I'm brave enough to have a Rigel and Bridger.

Steven Clarkson
Feb-25-2012, 5:01pm
Thanks Eddie!

Steven Clarkson
Feb-25-2012, 5:02pm
Shiloh,

Thanks for checking out the site - means a lot to me - hope you like the album.

mandobassman
Feb-26-2012, 10:35pm
I used Thomastik heavy for most of the last 15 years. I have always really liked them but their steadily rising cost, combined with the tone of my mandolin getting warmer prompted a switch to the D'Addario FW-74 set. I'm not at all saying their better strings, but they are a better fit for my mandolin. I totally agree with your comments about durability. I usually had my TI's on the mandolin for 10 or 11 months. In 15 years I never had one break. I always hear people talking about the "fragile" wound A string. They are the most durable strings I have ever used. Although, I have had my first set of FW-74's on since August and they still sound great.

Wolfmanbob
Feb-27-2012, 10:03am
I used Thomastic strings for a while and they were great sounding and very playable. But so expensive. Now I'm using LaBella flatwounds which are almost the same but more affordable.

mandobassman
Feb-27-2012, 2:58pm
I used Thomastic strings for a while and they were great sounding and very playable. But so expensive. Now I'm using LaBella flatwounds which are almost the same but more affordable.

Which LaBella set are you using? The MF-10's or MF-20's (with the wound A)? I used the MF-20's to try once and thought they were terrible strings. The windings were very rough compared to the TI's. I took them off after a week. They are more affordable, but nowhere near the same in quality, IMO.

cedarhog
Feb-28-2012, 9:59am
I love the T-1's........its funny how many people say they don't like them for bluegrass or they are too expensive. Like anything you get what you pay for. I can understand the "bluegrass" thing cause they don't have that extra twang(nice twang) sound and the "A" string isn't always going out of tune. But I think many many players aren't good enough to care that much they just want to be able to a jam and play with others or sit around the house and pic tunes. A good sounding mandolin with great strings can inspire your playing. I also hear people saying over the years that they use this flatwound or that flatwound and they are similar to the T-1's but less expensive..........I've tried them all when recommended and I probably will try the next recommended string to see for myself but none of them.....I mean none of them have the quality of the T-1 which translates to much better feel and tone. Two sets of strings a year might cost you $60-$70 if you even need two sets vs. 6 or more sets of strings of others per year of around $8-$10 a pack. I posted a video a while back of Mike Compton playing my bitterroot with T-1's on them....you'll see how he feels, and you'll see the player can make anything sound great. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=818vNr5LmQQ