PDA

View Full Version : "Georgia On My Mind" played by Electric Mandolin

Tom Sailor
Feb-23-2012, 1:18pm
Hi folks,

I really love "Georgia On My Mind", a wonderful Jazz tune composed by Hoagy Carmichael. I played it on my new Almuse Jazz-Mandolin (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?81903-New-Almuse-Jazzmando) & BOSS GT-10. I developed the voicing myself (inspired by Shelby Eichler (http://jazzmando.com/tips/archives/000945.shtml)) and played a bass line (GT-10 double octave effect) on a second track. Please tell me what you think about my playing - I play the Mandolin for a year now just my myself and I never had some lesson :-)

Have fun, :mandosmiley:
Tom Sailor

http://youtu.be/okOH5mbsTv0

Jean Fugal
Feb-23-2012, 1:40pm
Very nice, Tom

Ed Goist
Feb-23-2012, 3:12pm
You've been playing for just a year?!! :disbelief:
Fantastic stuff, Tom!
The Almuse sounds great, and your playing is excellent - Beautiful timing and feel.
Congratulations on a fine e-mando, and congratulations to Pete for building it.

Magnus Geijer
Feb-23-2012, 4:53pm
That was grand! You wouldn't happen to have that written out in tab, by any chance? :grin:

Darren Bailey
Feb-23-2012, 5:21pm
hey Tom Sailor - nice playing. Is that the Archangel michael I see in th icon?

Barry Wilson
Feb-23-2012, 6:33pm
I had to internet surf for lyrics to sing along. I really enjoy that song

rico mando
Feb-23-2012, 7:42pm
nice !

Tom Wright
Feb-24-2012, 12:00am
Very, very, nice. Good arrangement, good sound, nice touch, and nice instrument. (Personal interest, my first good electric guitar was a used Jazzmaster in 1968.)

mandrian
Feb-24-2012, 3:57am
Hi Tom,

My compliments to the mandolin player and the instrument maker. Sounds good.

Tavy
Feb-24-2012, 5:05am
Very nice sweet sound - congrats all round!

Tom Sailor
Feb-24-2012, 12:25pm
Hello @all,
what a nice surprise to have a look to here this afternoon...
Thank you all for your kind plaudit...
@Ed Goist: yes, I play Mandolin since Christmas 2010, but I play the violin for about 30 and the giutar (just easy accords) for about 20 years, and playing the Mandolin is exactly the crossbreed for me. So that wasn't a start from the beginning ;)
@Magnus Geijer: yes I have it written out, but I have to rewrite it to make you able to read my clow :grin: I'll see what I can do the next days. My Jazz Mandolin however is tuned FCGD so if you play that on a normal Mandolin the tune will be one tone higher. But that's no damage.
@Darren Bailey: The icon shows Jesus Christ on the donkey on his way to Jerusalem...
Keep on playing:mandosmiley:
Tom

lukmanohnz
Feb-25-2012, 12:03am
Lovely arrangement, and beautiful playing. Very nice indeed!

Jerry Turberville
Feb-25-2012, 7:39pm
Very nice Tom. I hope you'll share some more.

bobamysdad
Apr-19-2012, 4:19pm
That's really lovely, played on a brilliant instrument. Cheered me right up, thanks.

Tom Sailor
Feb-23-2013, 1:36pm
hi @all,
just finished my try to write out the tabs, as requested... well, I have neither seen nor writing out that many tabs so far and in fact I didn't know exactly how to depict the small figures especially into the first part of the tune. So I hope that everyone who is interested can handle with this attempt... if not, tell me how to improve...
have a good time,:mandosmiley:
Tom

ald
Feb-24-2013, 12:27pm
Thanks a lot, Tom

Rick Jones
Feb-27-2013, 9:25pm
Posted with Tom's permission - I downloaded the JPG Tom provided, opened it in Photoshop, adjusted levels and such to darken up the text, and exported out as PDF. It's at least a little bit easier to read. If you have access to a printer that prints on 11x17 paper, it makes it a lot easier also.

tmsweeney
Feb-28-2013, 12:54pm
nice electric sound and playing!