PDA

View Full Version : Tex Mex and Vinyl

justwrite
Feb-20-2004, 9:57am
So, I'm having a big Tex Mex dinner party tonight and plan to spend most of the day cooking and cleaning. I had the bright idea of listening to some old vinyl while I work. Of course, this meant fishing an old Fisher Price record player out from under my son's bed -- we bought it for him at a garage sale when he was about 6 and he couldn't understand why it wouldn't rewind. Anyway, I'm not an audiofile, so that doesn't matter that our stereo turntable is out of commission.

Right now, I'm listening to the Urban Cowboy soundtrack, which I haven't heard in years. Great! I'd completely forgotten about the great Ricky Skaggs mando playing on "Hearts Against the Wind."

Vinyl and Tex Mex. I highly recommend it.

SteveW
Feb-20-2004, 10:05am
I still have hundreds of LPs, though I confess that with the advent of CDs, I don't listen to them that often. Anyway, my 11 and 9 year-old daughters are on a Beatles kick, and most of my Beatles music is on LP. So they've been listening to those old records a lot lately. The other night, my 11 year-old said, "Dad, records are awesome!" The ultimate compliment.

I told her I had to agree. While I love the convenience of CDs, they will never capture the feeling I get from listening to LPs. There are LPs that I love -- as much as objects as for the music they contain. For some reason, I can't imagine anyone loving a CD.

Steve

justwrite
Feb-20-2004, 11:06am
It's the cover art.

SteveW
Feb-20-2004, 11:25am
That's certainly part of it -- my near-sighted eyes find reading most CD booklets not worth the trouble. But there's also something about the record itself -- the way it feels in your hands. It has a heft and substance that feels good pulling it out of the sleeve. It's just a more complete sensory experience than what you get from CDs.

KYGirl
Feb-20-2004, 5:05pm
That is great~! #My husband and I had a record party a few month ago. #We invited around 12 of our friends who were also record geeks like us, and told them to bring a few of their fav's. #We took turns and everyone got to play their picks. #Man, we had a blast! #Everyone loved it because they could bring a little piece of their past and present it to everyone in the form of a song. #It was such a hit, we are planning another record party real soon.

Ahhhh, the smell of vinyl, nothing like it!
Michelle

Mandodoc
Feb-24-2004, 3:05pm
I love LPs, I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 700 of them, you take them out of the jacket (with the great art work, liner notes, song lists etc.), use your disc washer and anti-static brush on them, put them on the turn table and lower the needle onto the groove. It is so much more user interactive. And even though I love clean audio there is something about pops and static that feels good. One draw back, they are hard to listen to in the car LOL....

garyblanchard
Feb-24-2004, 3:11pm
Actually, I'd like to go even more retro and buy an old wind-up Victrola and find some of the great old 78's. I never get nostalgic for albums or 45's but I long for the Bluebirds, Edisons, etc.