PDA

View Full Version : Finished my Don Kawalek kit mando

roberto216
Feb-22-2012, 8:24pm
Recently finished my Don Kawalek kit mandolin build. It came out pretty nice for my first time building a musical instrument. I sure learned a lot! Don was very helpful. In fact, I didn't have the tools to cut the binding channels so Don offered to do it for me. I mailed him the body and he installed the bindings and mailed it back to me.

I messed up the tuner holes the first time so I plugged them, thinned the original ebony overlay, and added a macassar ebony veneer. The finished peghead looks pretty nice and now I'm happy I messed it up the first try. Another lesson learned too.

I learned that written instructions only get you so far too. Youtube was a blessing to see video of fret work and neck shaping. Even learned a tip from a Lynn Dudenbostel site. Gotta' love the internet.

Besides the shape of the peghead, the only change I made to the standard kit was to radius the fingerboard (12"R) with a Stewmac radiused sanding block.

It plays and sounds nice. The next one (if there is one) should be even better.

Dfyngravity
Feb-22-2012, 8:48pm
Looks fantastic! I'd be mighty proud of that one.

JEStanek
Feb-22-2012, 9:17pm
Wow. Well executed and nice woods to boot! Way to go.

Jamie

Eric Hanson
Feb-22-2012, 10:00pm
Beautiful work. You should be proud!

Ron McMillan
Feb-22-2012, 10:58pm
Beautiful work and an instrument with real character. I agree with the others here who say you should be proud of your achievement. I'm green with envy.

rm

pjlama
Feb-22-2012, 11:09pm
Nice job, it looks great. I now have kit-mas. I wish I had the time, patients, skill and no fear of losing fingers to try one myself.

Bob Bronow
Feb-22-2012, 11:14pm
Looks Beautiful! Enjoy it!

Leroy
Feb-23-2012, 1:28am
Very nice. The wood choices are very beautiful. Love to hear a sound sample.

Barry Wilson
Feb-23-2012, 2:56am
awesome kit. I think the headstock looks even better with that wood... and also on the heel. very nice. love the stripe in the neck too

Randi Gormley
Feb-23-2012, 9:13am
Very impressive. Excellent job!

jake-mando
Feb-23-2012, 1:42pm
Very nice. I agree with what pjlama said. I wish I had the patients, skill, and no fear of losing fingers!

Paul Busman
Feb-25-2012, 6:33pm
First rate job! You'll enjoy that for a long time to come and maybe pass it on to your kids to enjoy.

Tom Liston
Feb-25-2012, 11:44pm
Nice work mate!

tablaninja
Sep-09-2012, 12:00am
Wow! Looks great! I've been doing research for my first build (mostly on this forum) and you've inspired me to contact Don about ordering one of his kits. I hope mine turns out this nice!

Skip Kelley
Sep-09-2012, 12:28pm
Roberto, The mandolin looks awesome! You did a wonderful job on it!
What do you mean "the next one, if their is one"? As great as this one looks you should build another!
You can be proud!! :)

Denny Gies
Sep-09-2012, 12:33pm
Roberto, you should be very proud.

Steve Sorensen
Sep-09-2012, 12:45pm
Lovely natural finish!
Steve

Tiderider
Sep-09-2012, 6:48pm
I know this an old post but you did a bang up job. Hats off to Don providing the great kit and support. How does it sound and play after 7 months?