PDA

View Full Version : Inherited Washburn mid-1920's Style B item #564

NorthwoodsWashburn
Feb-22-2012, 12:51pm
I inherited a Washburn (Lyon & Healy) mandolin with black case from my grandfather. It has been in my bedroom closet for many years. I have done some brief internet searches and have not located this round "banjo-style" in any photos. It has an open back with the letters...Washburn...style B...564. The round "drum skin" was replaced in 1973 by the lyon & Healy store on 95th street in Chicago. The original wood bridge was placed on the new skin at that time. There are 24 metal lugs holding the round skin to the circular frame. Mandolin is in perfect shape. The black hardcase has a bright purple soft fabric liner with a small built in container holding the lug key and a few old wound-up strings. The case appears to be from the 1920's.

I'll take some photos tonight.

Any guidance or comments appreciated.

Sorry for my terminology...not familiar with string instruments.

mrmando
Feb-22-2012, 4:22pm
It's a "mandolin banjo." Made between 1923 and 1925, judging from Hubert Pleisjer's Washburn Prewar Instrument Styles, p. 201. Actually, Hubert might be interested in your photos, given that he lists mandolin banjos in Styles C, D, and E, but not A or B. So yours might be the first documented example, which would make it of (minor) historical importance.

Hubert's book is the best available resource for old Washburn instruments, but there are evidently a couple of instruments that were left out ... it also fails to mention the Bernado de Pace signature model mandolin, of which two examples have come to light since the book's publication.

Kindly post the photos in this thread ... we'd be interested in seeing them.

NorthwoodsWashburn
Feb-22-2012, 4:57pm
Thanks for the info. I'll take 4 or 5 photos and try to post Thursday. Worst case you or Hubert could call me toll free at my office and I can email them to you.

Thanks again.

NorthwoodsWashburn
Feb-27-2012, 10:18am
I have taken 8 photos of the Style B #564 and will attempt to load on to this post. Correction from my initial post...there are 22 metal lugs not 24.

If I can not load the photos on this website, I can send these photos via email...please call me toll free at my real estate office 8303083031830328303383034830358303683037...1-800-433-9494...ask for Wes Nicholas. Thanks.

Jim Garber
Feb-27-2012, 2:25pm
That one is kind of neat since it has the same headstock as the style B carved top mandolin. That tube/resonator might be an add-on -- it is hard to tell from the photos. Might be a means to make it louder!

mrmando
Feb-27-2012, 2:43pm
That one is kind of neat since it has the same headstock as the style B carved top mandolin. That tube/resonator might be an add-on -- it is hard to tell from the photos. Might be a means to make it louder!

I have a Style A mando-banjo of similar vintage, although mine's branded Lyon & Healy. It doesn't have the tube. Mine has 30 hooks/nuts rather than 22.

Jim Garber
Feb-27-2012, 2:54pm
Martin: Does yours have a scroll headstock?

mrmando
Feb-27-2012, 3:35pm
No, I wish it did. Here's what mine looks like:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9627770@N07/5036197043/

So, a little fancier than Wes's Style B, but not all the way to a scroll.

Charles E.
Feb-27-2012, 8:01pm

Jim, I have seen L&H tenor banjo's with that same tone ring. According to the Pleijsier book, it is called a 'donut' tone ring.
It sure is a pretty piece.

keef
Mar-05-2012, 4:46pm
Very nice instrument. I've never seen these before I think - at least not in the catalogs.

Martin's L&H version was advertised though - it's mentioned on page 174/5 of the Washburn book, with the catalog page. That one was part of a pretty expensive line of banjos but with simple, very understated looks. They were discontinued quickly though.

mrmando
Mar-05-2012, 4:53pm
Yes, I did find the L&H mando-banjo in your book but not the Washburn one.