PDA

View Full Version : Tenor Guitars: Archtop vs. Flat-top?

Ed Goist
Feb-21-2012, 8:49am
I'd love to hear opinions on this...

It seems that flat-tops are strongly preferred in the guitar world, while archtops are strongly preferred in the mandolin world. (Of course, I know this is a generalization and not always true, but it sure holds up when one considers the instruments used by most noted performers on both instruments.)

Is this because a strong, punchy rhythm is much less important for most guitarists (including tenor guitarists), or is it because of the common applications of the different instruments, or are there other reasons?

I'd love to hear opinions on this, especially from folks who own or have played both flat-top and archtop tenor guitars. What are the characteristics and strengths of each?

Bernie Daniel
Feb-21-2012, 10:40am
I think you have it right. If you want to play back up with your tenor -- they do this a lot in Texas fiddle contests (one tenor and one or two 6 strings) you definitely want an arch top tenor. But I say almost nothing is sweeter than a vintage flat top tenor guitar to accompany yourself. Then what do I know -- my singing is akin to a cow bellowing.

Eddie Sheehy
Feb-21-2012, 1:27pm
I use my archtop for singing accompaniment - kept to a minimum by request . My singing has been likened to the 'Mating Call of the Rusty File'...

jesserules
Feb-21-2012, 2:48pm
Flat top (round hole) tenor guitars are used for Texas fiddle backup at least as often as archtops, if not more so: examples include Jerry Thomasson, Gary Lee Moore to name but two of the all time greats in this style.

Charles E.
Feb-21-2012, 8:07pm
Ed, I have owned both arch top and flat top tenors but at the moment I only own a flat top. ( I also own a National Triolian and a Republic tenor but those are a whole different kettel of fish.)
I had a 1950's Gibson for quite a while and it was a blast to play. These are basicly a full size six string body with a tenor neck stuck on them and I never felt that the four strings could fully drive the top as it should. So while it had a nice tone, it lacked volume. If one were playing swing and jazz it would be a great choice with a pickup ( vintage DeArmond ) installed. One advantage of playing an arch top is that it makes you look really cool.
After I found a Martin O-18, I sold the Gibson. The Martin was a more versatile instrument. It had much more punch, volume and bass end (if there is such a thing on a tenor). It seemed to fit Old Time music as well as Swing tunes. That said, I wish I still had the Gibson in the house.

Pete Martin
Feb-23-2012, 2:01pm
Sorry to contradict you Bernie, but at least people in Texas oriented fiddle contests in the west and the Texan players who come to Weiser all play spruce topped flattops. They ring much more than the archtops. This extra ringing really shines through as the chord voicings are in the range between the 6 string guitars and the fiddle.

They play either late 20 to early 30s gibsons or Martin O18Ts.

delsbrother
Feb-23-2012, 2:54pm
I agree with most above; I've actually seen (heard) more archtop tenors playing trad jazz than backing Texas fiddlers.

Of course, "preferred" is a strong word for something so rarely seen (played) in the wild. What is it, more than 6 of the 12? :)

Charles E.
Feb-23-2012, 7:12pm
Flat top (round hole) tenor guitars are used for Texas fiddle backup at least as often as archtops, if not more so: examples include Jerry Thomasson, Gary Lee Moore to name but two of the all time greats in this style.

The late Steve Parks built a "Jerry Thomasson" model tenor guitar, each one inspected, approved and signed by Jerry. I am not sure how many he made though. I have had the chance to play two of them and they were nice.

Ed Goist
May-27-2012, 7:39pm
I've been playing my Blueridge BR-40T (basically a clone of the Martin O-18T) like mad as of late, and loving it. But, now I think it might be time to get an ff-hole arch-top tenor to provide a contrasting and different voice.

Since this would be somewhat of a 'feeler' instrument to test the waters, I'm setting my budget at about $500. Researching the vintage archtop ff-hole tenors that seem to fall in this price range, it looks like the most highly recommended are:
* The Harmony H950
* Early Regal archtop (pre-1960)
* Kay Custom Kraft
Thought about these? Are there any others I should keep an eye out for?

Oh, and if this archtop thing sticks, which of these big boys is most recommended?:
Gibson TG-7 (1934-40)
Gibson TG-50 (1934-58) - f-holes are rare
Martin C-1T f-hole model (1933-38) -very rare

Other thoughts on archtop tenor builders to consider? Has anyone played a Selmer-style tenor?...This seems like a natural, no?

delsbrother
May-27-2012, 9:12pm
Gibson TG-50 (1934-58) - f-holes are rare

Really? Most of the Gibby archtops I've seen have f holes.

Martin C-1T f-hole model (1933-38) -very rare

Yeah good luck with that one. It's hard to find any unmolested Martin archtop tenor, but personally I'd prefer the oval holed one. Actually woulnd't mind a Gibson archtop round hole either.

Same thing can be said on Selmers - unmodified ones will be extremely rare and expensive. I can think of a few people on this board that may have played one, however, so hopefully they chime in. The closest I've come is a Dellarte. I also own a Hodson EFS. IMO they sound more like flattops (which they are) than archtops. The EFS has such a funky tuning it really is a different beast.