PDA

View Full Version : Singin'along

BlackChris
Feb-20-2012, 4:25pm
I just got the Parking Lot Pickers book of tunes delivered. Opened it to the first tune last night. Pretty simple, more simple than i would normally want to play. Anyway, i see the words there and i think 'i've not sung to ANY tune i have played on the mandolin why would i start now'.

But, i decided to give it a go, simple tune, easy to play why not sing along too.

Bloody brilliant!

My voice isn't all that of course, i sing like two frying pans being banged together but what a way to play. That simple tune comes alive. Singing also makes the tune easier to change and play around with.

Any other new players found the same thing?

Joel Glassman
Feb-20-2012, 7:05pm
I think singing along with instrumental music is an essential part of becoming a good
musician. Music becomes something from the soul, rather than just a series
of finger movements. And...you can do it alone while driving in your car :^)

Barry Wilson
Feb-20-2012, 7:20pm
tbh it surprises me how many musicians I have jammed with that won't even try singing. vocals are just like playing an instrument in that you have to practice and learn... it's just muscle training basically and finding your range.

GRW3
Feb-20-2012, 10:19pm
Singing is my favorite part. I started too late to be a 'hot' mandolin picker but a reasonably competent mandolin player who can sing is welcome in most jams.

Earl Gamage
Feb-20-2012, 10:21pm
Those melodies are simple because they leave it up to you to add embellishments. Start by playing the tune with double stops, then add some slides, then add a new tag, then you might add a fancy lick or two somewhere in the melody. Not so simple any more.

Oh yeah, if you sing you don't have to do all that fancy picking:).