PDA

View Full Version : Pegasus and Calton

Barry Platnick
Feb-20-2012, 4:21pm
I'm thinking about a pegasus case and was wondering about size compared to calton?

Like fitting in the over head in a plane for example?
thanks

Mike Bunting
Feb-20-2012, 5:03pm
They are basically the same size. I have a Colorado Case cover for my Calton and a Small Dog for the Peg and I've never had a problem using the overheads.

mrmando
Feb-20-2012, 5:16pm
The Pegasus is equipped with a teleportation device. You put your mandolin inside, press a button, and the mandolin can reappear in another Pegasus case anywhere else in the world.

Just kidding. The Pegasus takes up fewer cubic inches than the Calton, although an overhead bin on a large jetliner should accommodate either one.

sachmo63
Feb-20-2012, 5:31pm
The Pegasus is equipped with a teleportation device. You put your mandolin inside, press a button, and the mandolin can reappear in another Pegasus case anywhere else in the world.

Just kidding. The Pegasus takes up fewer cubic inches than the Calton, although an overhead bin on a large jetliner should accommodate either one.

At the price of that case it should bathe me too.

Mike Bunting
Feb-20-2012, 6:50pm
The only problem is that when you lose your luggage, your mandolin winds up back in Scotland!

Barry Platnick
Feb-20-2012, 6:54pm
Do they really allow winged horses on planes...maybe just frontier.

Big Joe
Feb-20-2012, 10:35pm
The Pegasus will fit in the dimensions allowed for overhead carry for most airlines. The Calton is a bit too big, though I have carried them on planes numerous times. Now that they are a bit fussier the Peg would be a better choice. The Peg is, in my opinion, a better case all around. No wasted space but enough for your mandolin, a pack of strings, a wire nippers, and a tuner. It looks great and is easier to carry. The Calton has had issues with headstock damage. That does not happen often, but it can. I've had both and liked both. The Peg is just my preference.

foldedpath
Feb-20-2012, 10:49pm
At the price of that case it should bathe me too.

Unless you buy one of Sam's occasional spec cases, this is a custom order with options for outer case color and inner liner fabric color. That's going to cost more, from a handmade case supplier, than a generic off-the-shelf case. I have one on order, and didn't mind the price considering the one-to-one contact via email (USA to Scotland) and the option of spec'ing my own case.

It's funny because Sam offers Tartan plaid interiors, and my S.O. and I went through a few days of hilarity, trying to figure out what Tartan would be appropriate for my mostly Sassenach family history, with a bit of late Irish infusion. At first I decided on a generic Scottish Tartan from the samples Sam provided, and then decided that we'd honor the original owner of the historic 1880's home I live in, who was a sea captain who came here from Nova Scotia, with a famous Scottish name.

After selecting that family Tartan (the "hunting" version), Sam told me that it was also the Tartan of a famous Scottish regiment that was formed "just over the hill" from his shop. So, full circle.

I know that obsessing over the color and pattern for the lining of the case your mandolin sits in, is a silly thing. But it was fun, and that's one of the things you pay for, with a custom order. It's fun! You're not just picking something off a generic rack of products.

Mandobar
Feb-20-2012, 11:15pm
Try Hoffee. I am thinking of ordering one for my mandola.

almeriastrings
Feb-21-2012, 1:53am
The Hoffee looks very nice. I note they have upgraded the protection levels on their guitar cases... have they done so on the mandolin case too, or is that unchanged?

As for getting a mandolin onto an aircraft as a carry-on, it really is down to the airline. Some European airlines have incredibly restrictive carry-on rules.... so very important to check every stage of a journey well in advance for possible problems. US carriers normally have more generous allowances.

Mike Bunting
Feb-21-2012, 3:03am
Four years ago we flew to a festival in Lithuania from Copenhagen to Vilnius via Air Lithuania and returned to Amsterdam via Lithuania Airlines and had not a second look at the Calton mandolin case that I carried on. I don't know about any other European carriers, though.

Pete Martin
Feb-21-2012, 1:54pm
Never had any airline problems with the Pegasus.

mandroid
Feb-22-2012, 2:57pm
Always better to check in to board early, so you put your stuff in the OHC first .