PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Mandolin Building DVD

Eddie Blevins
Feb-20-2012, 4:04pm
Does anyone have a copy of Don MacRostie's How To Build A Carved-Top Mandolin dvd that they would sell? I have Roger Siminoff's book, but I think the dvd's would help me a lot on my first build.

Steve Sorensen
Feb-20-2012, 5:38pm
You can rent from SmartFlix.com. They have a lot of great building and finishing videos.
Steve

bmac
Feb-20-2012, 5:57pm
I might also suggest that you buy a mandolin in need of repair... that you can take apart, repair and and put back together to understand some of the techniques used in construction. Or if you are a complete beginner I found the IV kit good for learning the basics of construction... The Siminoff book was sold as a package with the IV kit for a while.

have fun!! Should be a good esperience.

Eddie Blevins
Feb-21-2012, 8:22am
I got interested in building when I first saw the kits at Stewmac, but the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to start from scratch. I already have the Siminoff book and I've read it thru. I have built several of the fixtures and templates and I've purchased my tone wood. I thought that the dvd might be very helpful in the respect that you can actuall see something being done as opposed to just reading about it and looking at photos.

Dick Hutchings
Feb-21-2012, 10:25am
I thought that the dvd might be very helpful in the respect that you can actuall see something being done as opposed to just reading about it and looking at photos.
That's cheatin:))

Eddie Blevins
Feb-21-2012, 10:28am
That's not really cheating, Dick. No different than going to luthier and watching him build. You'll have to cut me some slack...

Eddie Blevins
Feb-21-2012, 11:53am
I just looked at Smartflix and the dvd copies of this video are 'backordered'. I found lots of negative reviews about Smartflix on the net. Anyone here actually used them?

Jim Garber
Feb-21-2012, 11:56am
That's not really cheating, Dick. No different than going to luthier and watching him build. You'll have to cut me some slack...

Note his emoticon... he was kidding.

Eddie Blevins
Feb-21-2012, 11:58am
Oh, I know he was kidding. Just jabbing back. No offense taken at all.

Dick Hutchings
Feb-21-2012, 12:07pm
I was very fortunate to catch Lynn Dudenbostle on the DIY show when I was building my first. I found it extremely helpful. I still route my binding ledges the same way he did on the show. Hope I spelled his name right.

Dale Ludewig
Feb-21-2012, 12:44pm
You didn't. :)

Jim Hilburn
Feb-21-2012, 12:45pm
Bob Bennedetto's video set on archtop guitar is very thorough and 90% of it applys to an archtop mandolin.

Dick Hutchings
Feb-21-2012, 1:17pm
You didn't. :)

Dang! Now I have to know.

Dudenbostel