PDA

View Full Version : Is this Cosmetic or a problem?

playmandolin
Feb-19-2012, 12:39pm
Hi,

Newbie here, finally moved up from a cheap Rogue to a Loar lm-400. I am waiting to hear from the dealer but wanted some advice as to what others think.

This Mandolin sounds and is setup great. There is a blemish that bothers me and am wondering if others have seen something like this and is it just cosmetic or problem waiting?

If its just cosmetic, I could deal with it for the sound. If it is a problem, well thats different.

Any input would help.

Thanks,

Jeff

Pete Summers
Feb-19-2012, 1:08pm
To be honest, I can't discern what finish flaw you are talking about from that photo -- all I can see is reflections of light in the shine of the finish. However, since minor finish flaws seem to be pretty common on The Loar models (at least, judging by threads on this site - that issue is commonly discussed) I'll climb out on a limb and say it's probably not a problem.

Better pictures, though, would help.

Btw, welcome to the Cafe where you'll find a lot of good information and entertainment.
:mandosmiley:

playmandolin
Feb-19-2012, 1:57pm
Thanks Pete,
I don't think its a structural deal, just what you get sometimes I guess. Its just I am new at this, and I don't have a Luthier or shop anywhere near me to get an actual eyeball on it.

On the lower side below the tail piece is an actual thumb size shaving that even the nitro cant hide, you can see the tool marks on the outer ends of it. In the middle of this shaving is what looks almost like a fish eye in the nitro. But I dot think it is.
I guess they shaved out a bad spot or something.

I just am to new and wanted to know if these type of marks are par with hand carved tops at this price. I mean with my old "plywood" of course its perfect looking because its plywood but sounds like junk :) This one sounds amazing, my wife even says I am allowed to play in the living room now :)

I just don't have the experience to know if its a structural deal or a looker.

Sorry about the picture, thats the best I could get. I think I am just being a mother hen.

Pete Summers
Feb-19-2012, 2:21pm
As long as it plays and sounds good and has a good set-up, I think you'll be happy with it. The Loar gets a lot of criticism about it's finish and quality control issues on this site, but most people who own them seem to think they are great sounding for the price (if set-up correctly). If you're anything like me, the finish will get banged up soon enough anyway.:)

I personally don't own a Loar, but I did own a Rogue. Curiously, the three Rogues I've seen hands-on and played were all tonally poor, as you might expect from a plywood instrument, but looked great and were very well constructed with good finish (albeit, very thick and shiny) and good quality control. And they cost $49. Go figure.

playmandolin
Feb-19-2012, 2:33pm
Yeah, the Rogue looks good but the sound, UGH!
This Loar however, sounds like it should cost a few hundred more. I have played 3 other LM-400's that friends have and they look good but don't sound as good as this one. I guess I am trying to see a reason not to send it back for the looks because I probably wouldn't get one that sounds this great with my luck.

The setup is beyond fantastic.
Like I said, I think I just needed some newbie reassurance to just shut-up and play :)
Not to mention, a reason to give my wife why something that cost $500 has some imperfections. I gave the sound argument but that fell on deaf ears so to speak.

I consider it worth it now that I can play around my family or without the cat running out of the room :)

Thanks for the words, and hope to meet many more people on here.

Barry Wilson
Feb-19-2012, 5:35pm
Music is sound. I don't fret the looks too much myself. The inside of my scroll looks like it has been chewed on but the roughness holds my strap string in like velcro. I'm with Pete, my instruments travel around with me and get played so they take bumps and bruises. I love the sound of my "The Loar". It's the 600 so much the same.

playmandolin
Feb-19-2012, 6:30pm
Thanks Barry,
I agree its the sound. I think I just obsessed over it for to many hours :), but sound wise, it is great, and as it ages I look forward to hearing what it becomes.

I used to play Clarinet in a concert band for 14 years and I had many, and never realized how beat and scratched they had become until I bought a new one.

I suppose Mandolins will be worse, this is my first jump into Stringed Instruments so a total Newbie as to what to expect.

I am disabled now, so this is my "Not go cabin crazy" hobby and I think I just got a little to picky and am still learning whats important on these instruments and whats lipstick.

Barry Wilson
Feb-19-2012, 6:53pm
I almost want to cut my fretboard extension off. drives me nuts when the pick hits it.

playmandolin
Feb-19-2012, 7:12pm
Yeah, I keep hitting it also, I know I am rough on instruments, I use them a lot now so this will make my first ding or scratch no big deal :)

Sound wise, I am beyond pleased.

Jeff

Barry Wilson
Feb-19-2012, 7:22pm
wanna see blemished then you should look close at the OM I built haha. but it sounds so good I just don't care. I have a dent on the front of my acoustic guitar from a wrench falling off the desk and striking the front... oddly didn't crack the finish.

I'm no mandolin authority by any means. I just love to collect and play instruments. I have 2 mandolins, my first was the epiphone (widely knocked on this forum). it sounds like a tinny banjo but plays good. the loar sounds way better but I keep it at home for recording for the most part. my little epiphone travels with me all the time.

then again I live in sweatpants and t shirts and don't care what people think of me either ;)

Michael Richmond
Feb-19-2012, 7:43pm
If the concern is the circle near the middle of the photo at the tip of the reflection, then that looks to me like an air bubble formed when the finish was applied. Hard to tell from the photo. My understanding is that finish marks are only a real concern when the bare wood is exposed. If the finish in that area is higher than the rest of the area it might be possible to buff or sand it out with micro mesh. But unless it is really bothering you I doubt it is worth the effort based on this photo. Trying to smooth over the finish puts the "good" finish at risk.

playmandolin
Feb-19-2012, 8:40pm
Sounds like you live like me :)

playmandolin
Feb-19-2012, 8:48pm
Michael,
Yeah, the bubble is just that a broken bubble, the main thing was the bubble sits in the middle of where there is some cross grain planing, probably for some defect that makes a thumb size depression or thinning of the wood there. Look wise, I really don't care because it sounds great. I am new to Stringed Instruments and wanted someone that's smarter than me about them to know if they have seen this type of thing or not.

The finish is thick there but there is no way to make it thick enough to hide that. The thing is, it sounds great and I want to keep it for that purpose, I just don't know enough about them to know if a cross grain planing in that area is a big deal or not. The wood is thinner there but I am guessing all the stress is carried in the curve under the bridge and out to the sides from there.

bmac
Feb-20-2012, 11:52am
I am one of those who can't find the blemish in the photo... but if it bothers you too much you should try to send it back and get another without a blemish.. However you stand the risk of losing the tone you enjoy so much on this one. Most hand made objects are going to have a few imperfections. I doubt that the dent, as you describe it, will have much, if any effect on the tonality or durability of the instrument, and it is so nice when you find one with exceptional tone.

If it bothers you too much just play the instrument hard and wait for it to receive its first scratch. The scratch will draw your attention away from the dent.

playmandolin
Feb-20-2012, 8:45pm
I am one of those who can't find the blemish in the photo... but if it bothers you too much you should try to send it back and get another without a blemish.. However you stand the risk of losing the tone you enjoy so much on this one. Most hand made objects are going to have a few imperfections. I doubt that the dent, as you describe it, will have much, if any effect on the tonality or durability of the instrument, and it is so nice when you find one with exceptional tone.

If it bothers you too much just play the instrument hard and wait for it to receive its first scratch. The scratch will draw your attention away from the dent.

Yeah, that's my thoughts as well, I can live with it because the tone is incredible. The dealer was more than willing to change it out but I am afraid to loose the tone this one has. Of the four or five I played before this one, there is no comparison. Thanks to all of you who responded, I got over my panic mode and have played for about two hours this evening. It is great. I look forward to learning more from you guys.