PDA

View Full Version : Gibson A-12

Mouse ear Mike
Feb-13-2012, 6:53pm
I posted this in General discussions,so sorry for being repeditive but I only have a couple of mandolins to show off. http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l224/michaelknifenut/000_1226.jpg

MikeEdgerton
Feb-13-2012, 7:02pm
A Gumby lump scroll Gibson. We've discussed them many times over the years. :cool:

Joe Mendel
Feb-13-2012, 7:13pm
You'll likely get a lot of negative comments, but I always thought they were oddly cool looking. I saw one in a pawn shop about 10 years ago, that sounded really good, if I had had the $600 they wanted at the time I would have bought it, even though it was pretty beat. If it sounds good, who cares what it looks like.

Mouse ear Mike
Feb-13-2012, 7:29pm
I'll look it up,I can imagine the resposes! It is pretty homely but I love it,It's the only Gibson I will ever be able to afford...Mike

MikeEdgerton
Feb-13-2012, 9:32pm
Here (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/search.php?query=gumby&exactname=0&starteronly=0&forumchoice%5B%5D=&prefixchoice%5B%5D=&childforums=1&titleonly=0&searchdate=0&beforeafter=after&do=process) is every thread with the word Gumby in it. Scan through them and you should see more information on these mandolins. The applicable subject lines will jump out at you.

Willie Poole
Feb-13-2012, 9:34pm
I have seen a few of those and a few of them sounded OK....I never understood why the bump, why not just make a two pointer and be done with it? The bump don`t do a thing for the sound and IMO it makes it look ugly....

MikeEdgerton
Feb-13-2012, 9:42pm
I have seen a few of those and a few of them sounded OK....I never understood why the bump, why not just make a two pointer and be done with it? The bump don`t do a thing for the sound and IMO it makes it look ugly....

Interestingly enough, although these were a product of Gibson in the 60's and 70's the lump scroll was actually something Gibson first built in the 30's. This (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?77761-Here-s-a-Mystery-Cromwell-A12&highlight=lump+scroll) Cromwell built by Gibson surfaced last year and it plainly shows that the design was an attempt during the Gibson second line craze to build an inexpensive F model look alike. This is probably the rarest Gibson built second line instrument I've ever seen.

Jake Wildwood
Feb-14-2012, 12:04am
Wow, the Cromwell looks actually pretty cool with the simplified headstock and minus point no. 2 -- I like.

MikeEdgerton
Feb-14-2012, 8:34am
That's the only one that I know of that has ever surfaced and I'm convinced it was the real deal.

AlanN
Feb-14-2012, 8:40am
I remember picking on one at Manny's Music in NYC. I set it back down, walked out of the store. The sales gal literally ran outside onto the street, begging me to buy it.

Joe Mendel
Feb-14-2012, 9:02am
I have to add that I owned an oval hole one that sounded roughly the same as if you put a neck on a brick and strung it up, dead barely describes it. The f hole one in the pawn shop really did sound good, much better than their reputation would lead one to believe.

Jake Wildwood
Feb-14-2012, 12:06pm
That's the only one that I know of that has ever surfaced and I'm convinced it was the real deal.

Well, why wouldn't it be? I don't know of many folks who would fake a 2nd-line instrument. Besides, all the hardware and stylings match typical Cromwell instruments.

MikeEdgerton
Feb-14-2012, 1:07pm
My first impression was that it was some sort of Frankenmando but the more I looked at it the more I thought it was something I'd never seen. I'd still like to know who won that auction. A few years ago a friend bought what he thought was a repainted Gibson second line guitar in an auction on eBay. When he brought it over I pointed out the truss rod. It was an actually Gibson archtop that somebody had spray painted.

tkdboyd
Feb-14-2012, 1:31pm
Interesting not to have the standard sunburst that is normally seen on an A-12; do you know if it is original--including the lack of a finger rest?

The attached file is currently my fathers-In 20 years (sadly I don't think I have that long) or more I hope to inherit/purchase it from his estate.

Be proud of yours, I'll be proud of mine. It was a product of its time, sort of like leisure suits...

Mouse ear Mike
Feb-14-2012, 6:10pm
Interesting not to have the standard sunburst that is normally seen on an A-12; do you know if it is original--including the lack of a finger rest?

The attached file is currently my fathers-In 20 years (sadly I don't think I have that long) or more I hope to inherit/purchase it from his estate.

Be proud of yours, I'll be proud of mine. It was a product of its time, sort of like leisure suits...I am proud of mine,the brown finish is original as far as I know.It didn't have a pickguard when I got it.I have had a few mandolin players and a lot of musicians say they like the sound of it,even over my Martin.I wouldn't trade it or sell it.Hope you get yors,I bet you will cherish it.Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...Mike

f5loar
Apr-18-2012, 12:39pm
These 70's mandolins finish colors seem to vary a lot from 1970 to 1978. Some look pretty good while others are really cheap looking. I guess it went into the spray booth and got whatever was in the spray mix that day. And I'm sure who did it varied too.
I'm guessing Gibson had a high employee turn over rate during the 70's due to the economic downturn then with high interest rates and factories moving overseas at a fast pace.

mando-tech
Nov-13-2012, 11:32am
All the A-12s pictured look different from mine, which seems to be made in 1969, judging from the ser#. There is apparently no earthly way to get these instruments to sound like an F-5, etc. Keep in mind, - Gibson DID NOT know how to construct a mandolin in that time period. However, I have used mine on stage many times, and it has served me well. What seems like endless tweaking, buffing, sanding (on saddle to remove stock), etc., may have upgraded its credentials some. To see this mandolin and hear it in action,..-go to MAPLE VALLEY BOYS you tube. However, the selections heard without the live video, were made using another Gibson.

I posted this in General discussions,so sorry for being repeditive but I only have a couple of mandolins to show off. http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l224/michaelknifenut/000_1226.jpg

Bluejay
Nov-13-2012, 1:23pm
I thought these were referred to as 'the confused mandolin' it doesn't know if it has a scroll or not. Be proud of it. It's nice to have something a bit different. We don't all like the same thing. Thank God.

f5loar
Nov-13-2012, 1:31pm
I would say it would near impossible for yours to be a 1969 by the serial no. I would say you are judging your serial no. wrong and not looking in the right serial. no. list. There were no A-12's made in 1969. 1971 was the first year. Post your serial no. here and let the experts here tell you when it was made. PS: If you have already contacted Gibson Co. about the year made and they told you 1969 then they are not the experts you need to get the right answer. Gibson used the same serial nos. in the 60's and 70's.

mando-tech
Dec-31-2012, 11:30am
I would say it would near impossible for yours to be a 1969 by the serial no. I would say you are judging your serial no. wrong and not looking in the right serial. no. list. There were no A-12's made in 1969. 1971 was the first year. Post your serial no. here and let the experts here tell you when it was made. PS: If you have already contacted Gibson Co. about the year made and they told you 1969 then they are not the experts you need to get the right answer. Gibson used the same serial nos. in the 60's and 70's.

The A-12's ser# is 657942, pressed into back of peghead,...with NO "made in usa". Year of mfg. please?

jmp
Jan-01-2013, 12:33pm
Never met a Gibson I didn't like. Amazing top range fretboard on this one, look like you can get up to a high-high B-flat!!!

JeffD
Jan-01-2013, 1:48pm
It is pretty homely but I love it,

Its kind of cool. There was a mandolin instruction/tune book I had, many years ago, that had a photo of one on the cover.

It's the only Gibson I will ever be able to afford...Mike

Unless you have taken a vow of some kind, that is not true. Whether, once able to afford one, you decide to spend the money in that fashion, well thats a different matter. :)

mando-tech
Jan-28-2013, 11:27am

...allright, experts, tell me what year of mfg.--A12 SN 657942 pressed into back of headstock, withNO "made in usa"...-thanks.

f5loar
Jan-28-2013, 1:04pm
This is one of those good news, bad news numbers. The good news is there was no 657XXX numbers in the 60's so that totally rules out it being from the 60's. The bad news is the 6XXXXX numbers are the worst wild card numbers of the 70's. Meaning they only have records showing it was made between 1970 and 1972 or 1974 to 1975. Let's just say Gibson had a poor record keeper from 1970 to 1977. The no "Made in USA" is just a Monday/Friday fluke. The guy stamping the numbers on the back of headstock reached over and the "Made in USA" stamp was not there (he loaned it to his guitar buddy down the hall or something) so he just lets it slide without that stamp. It was on the label anyway so no big deal. I'd say you are down to one person to tell you which year yours is and that's me. I would have to see a good photo of the front and back to determine the type sunburst used as they varied from year to year and I am the only person I know of that has that documentation on hand. I know Gibson ain't got it. Nobody in the vinatge dealers has it because they could care less what year an A12 is. If you can't post photos here but can by email send them to me isenhour @ vnet.net and I'll get you a more exact year of manufacture.