PDA

View Full Version : Flying with a mando?

Tgh
Feb-11-2012, 10:24am
Hi folks, I'm new to this amazing mando world. How do airlines deal with them, can i carry one in a form-fitted case as a carry-on? What's your experience? Thanks. Cheers to you, TGH.

Randi Gormley
Feb-11-2012, 10:39am
You'll probably get a couple references to older strings, but the short answer is that most of us carry through our mandolins without much problem. The caveat always is that nothing is set in stone and an airline can and will bar your instrument in the cabin and make you either check it at the door or send it with the luggage. It doesn't hurt to check the airline site for specific information from them. The two times I've flown with a mandolin, I've put it in the smallest, most innocuous case I own (which happens to be a soft case), sling it over the shoulder farthest from the people at the door, don't carry much of anything else and look confident.

Kip Carter
Feb-11-2012, 10:41am
There are lots of threads where discussion of travel with instruments (specific to mandolin) are talked about. Here is one that is currently active that you may find valuable.
New Bill (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?82242-New-Bill-allows-musicians-to-carry-instruments-on-Planes)

Regards,
Kip...

Tgh
Feb-11-2012, 10:58am
Thanks, Randi and Kip....that helped! Cheers.

Jim
Feb-11-2012, 11:02am
I've always been able to carry mine on in a little gig bag, I don't carry string clippers or tools in the case, I do put my book or magazine in the case too, a paper back or magazine can help protect the head stock & tuners in a gig bag.

Richard Eskite
Feb-11-2012, 11:07am
Just flew from DC to SFO via Virgin with a Collings in a hard case. Even though the flight was really full, I had no problem. Stowed it in the overhead.

JeffD
Feb-11-2012, 11:32am
The caveat always is that nothing is set in stone and an airline can and will bar your instrument in the cabin and make you either check it at the door or send it with the luggage..

Nobody has a problem, until they have a problem, at which point they have a problem. But until then, they don't have any problem.

Kip Carter
Feb-11-2012, 11:54am
So Jeff what your saying is that the problem with problems is that they don't become a problem until a problem arises in which case you have a problem. Did I get that right?

Xlated for the OP'er: What I've gathered from discussions flows like this:

Most of the time so long as you keep it simple and don't appear to be juggling carry on items, you can carry it on without having to check it as baggage. However, if a given airline employee is having a bad day and/or your behavior suggests that you're going to be a problem for them; then yes they can make you have a bad day as well and you may be force to check your instrument.

This new bill would suggest that there may be an improvement in consistency of handling in regard to instruments but as it also has been mentioned, is not to be immediately implemented (someone said two years to implement), coupled with a bit of ambiguity in the language that could be open for interpretation. Therefore, while the bill perhaps is an indication that our mando will be increasingly accepted as carry on it isn't a guarantee, as any airline employee at the gate or on-board could insist that you check it. And while you could protest, that protest alone could keep YOU and your mandolin off the plane. (not topical but possible)
Regards,
Kip...

JeffD
Feb-11-2012, 1:37pm
So Jeff what your saying is that the problem with problems is that they don't become a problem until a problem arises in which case you have a problem. Did I get that right?

Zakly.

I was trying to forestall or at least pre-respond to posts from folks who are going to relate how they recently had no problem flying from or to here or there, or perhaps have flown a thousands of times times and have never had a problem, as these types of posts imply there is nothing to be concerned about. I would not say worry, but I would say concern is appropriate.

Hillsdale Leroy
Feb-11-2012, 5:06pm
A law was just passed that mandates all airlines allow instruments to be carried on as long as they fit in the overhead. It is also stipulated that musicians may of course purchase a seat for larger instruments.

rgray
Feb-11-2012, 5:40pm
A law was just passed that mandates all airlines allow instruments to be carried on as long as they fit in the overhead. It is also stipulated that musicians may of course purchase a seat for larger instruments.

No law passed (yet). Check out the link that Kip provided above for more info about that bill.

JeffD
Feb-11-2012, 5:44pm
That is a good thread to read. The law is about denying an instrument because of it being a threat. But at any time they can say only one carry on, or just ask you to gate check it, because of a full overhead, or very full plane, or whatever.

OldSausage
Feb-11-2012, 5:51pm
Just whatever you do, slack off the strings before you take it on board.

blauserk
Feb-12-2012, 4:11pm
Anybody fly with a Calton case? Are those too obtrusive and non-luggage looking? Mine is a sight smaller that most roll-on bags.

sgarrity
Feb-12-2012, 4:19pm
I have flown with a Calton many times with no issues. But I always check in early online so I get an early boarding number on Southwest. It also depends on the size of plane. Regional jets have much smaller overhead bins. I flew last fall with a mandolin and mandola, both in Caltons. No issues. I flew once with the mandola Calton and one gate agent told me I had to check it. I explained that it was a very fragile instrument with sentimental value. She said, "I'm not in the mood to argue tonight." So I responded, "Thank you so much. Have a wonderful evening" and just kept walking. No issues after that!

Mo Soar
Feb-12-2012, 5:06pm
A caveat: as a frequent flyer for the last 20 years or so, I'd say the last 3-5 years have been a massive shift (and not for the positive) in the state of flying, between the TSA and the mostly "safety theater" policies, the cut backs in routes and the increase in passenger counts, the airline attempts to generate new revenue via fees, overworked and underappreciated flight attendants, planes pressed in to heavier service and cranky passengers.

What used to work may no longer work, so go prepared. Some airlines have started really enforcing carry-on baggage rules, which is good in some ways and very bad in others, as luggage manufacturers have been "cheating" for years. Most (domestic US) airlines have a 22x9x14 carry-on limit (or 45 linear inches) and they've started to use those sizer templates at the gates. Problem is, most luggage is that dimension if not overstuffed and NOT including the wheels and handles. The gate agents don't particularly care that your carry-on almost fits in the sizer. I had to go to a 19" bag to get something that actually fits in the sizer template.

My next flight is through LAX, which is not my "home" airport, and even though I'm flying first class with 2 free checked bags (ahh, flyer miles), I may well ship my mandolin on ahead this time.