PDA

View Full Version : Nava Cocobolo Twin-Point

GarY Nava
Feb-10-2012, 11:51am
Hi Guys,

Thought that you might like to see my latest twin-point, it’s probably the highest spec one that I’ve done: cocobolo back & sides, red spruce top, Cuban mahogany neck, turquoise and pearl rosette and finger board markers, Alssei tuners, gold wide evo frets, Headway under saddle transducer and my own tailpiece, all French polished.
Here are a few pictures and of course the obligatory video---

82233 82234

http://youtu.be/NRdEM7YSlZU

I’ve also re-vamped my website to include a page of twin-pointers;

http://www.navaguitars.co.uk/twin_point_gallery.html

Thanks for looking ;)

Cheers Gary

Mandocarver
Feb-10-2012, 12:00pm
Gorgeous piece of work Gary in all respects. I'm envying the owner already. Well done and thanks for posting.
Dean

Tavy
Feb-10-2012, 12:08pm
Nice work Gary - and good to see you reflected in the third image! :)

Just curious, what did you use for the binding?

GarY Nava
Feb-10-2012, 12:12pm
Nice work Gary - and good to see you reflected in the third image! :)

Just curious, what did you use for the binding?

Thanks Tavy! The bindings are ebony, as are the points.

Cheers Gary

Max Girouard
Feb-10-2012, 12:43pm
Fantastic!!!

billhay4
Feb-10-2012, 2:13pm
Quite Lovely, Gary,
Wonder if I can ask a few questions about this instrument. It looks large to me. What are the dimensions if you don't mind? Width, length, and depth.
Also, is it an induced arch or flat top? If induced, how much curvature do you put in it?
Hope this is not intrusive. You've built a beautiful instrument.
Bill

amowry
Feb-11-2012, 12:55am
Wow, beautiful work! I love that body shape.

AlanS
Feb-11-2012, 6:24am
Absolutely beautiful!
A work of art that will surely turn into a cannon when played in.

Alan

Paul Busman
Feb-11-2012, 7:04am
I love that you included that sapwood on the back. Most people would cut it out, but it really adds distinction here.

Tavy
Feb-11-2012, 8:00am
Thanks Tavy! The bindings are ebony, as are the points.

Nice, I'm a big fan of wood bindings (why spend all that time on a lovely instrument just to go and put plastic on it?). But I was actually asking about the black/white/red/white strip.

Cheers, John.

Doug Edwards
Feb-11-2012, 8:57am
Very,very nice. Cocobolo is such a beautiful wood, just wish it wasn't such a pain to work with. Where did you find the tourquoise or did you use the reconstituted stone?

GarY Nava
Feb-12-2012, 1:04pm
Quite Lovely, Gary,
Wonder if I can ask a few questions about this instrument. It looks large to me. What are the dimensions if you don't mind? Width, length, and depth.
Also, is it an induced arch or flat top? If induced, how much curvature do you put in it?
Hope this is not intrusive. You've built a beautiful instrument.
Bill

Hi Bill,
Glad you like her;)
It is a wee bit larger-just fits in a Hiscox case! 282 wide about 690 long and around 50 at the rim. The arch is down to the bracing, the amount is lost in the mists of time: I built my jigs and templates quite awhile ago!
Cheers Gary

GarY Nava
Feb-12-2012, 1:07pm
Very,very nice. Cocobolo is such a beautiful wood, just wish it wasn't such a pain to work with. Where did you find the tourquoise or did you use the reconstituted stone?
Glad you like her Doug, Cocobolo is OK to work with, just wear a respirator! ;)The turquoise is reconstituted.
Cheers Gary

JEStanek
Feb-12-2012, 1:40pm
Lovely use of form and color.

Jamie

Steve Sorensen
Feb-12-2012, 5:07pm
Gary,
Wonderful design and execution!
Steve

Jake Wildwood
Feb-13-2012, 1:12pm
Pretty slick stuff. I love seeing turquoise turn up in inlays!

billhay4
Feb-14-2012, 11:50am
Thanks, Gary, I've listened to Brendan's video over a dozen time already.
Bill

GarY Nava
Feb-17-2012, 11:48am
Many thanks for all of your kind comments. Especially nice to get positive comments from fellow luthiers- this life we lead can be rather insular!
Cheers Gary