PDA

View Full Version : Bacon Artist mandolin

Jim Garber
Dec-10-2004, 2:47pm
I had posted a few pics of this mandolin some time ago but the thread has been deleted. Here are a few of this relatively rare instruments. Mine is dated on the label 1921 and signed by Wiliiam Place, Jr. who was a prominent mandolinist of his time. This was the top of Bacon's line and I assume was meant to compete with the Gibson F4 and the Lyon & Healy A. #In fact, IMHO ths sounds is somewhere between the two.

Jim Garber
Dec-10-2004, 2:48pm
Here is the back of the mandolin. It has an almost flddel style edge to it, in other words the binding is not flush with the top or sides.

Jim

Jim Garber
Dec-10-2004, 2:49pm
Closeup of the body

Jim Garber
Dec-10-2004, 2:50pm
The label

Darryl Wolfe
Dec-10-2004, 2:55pm
jgarber..I saw another one (maybe the same one for sale, but sold on an internet page. It too was signed by Place. Is the Wm Place signature a feature or are they the same mando?? BTW. I have got to find one of those..absolutely stunning mojo

Darryl Wolfe
Dec-10-2004, 2:56pm
never mind on the signature..I should have read the label..really cool.

Is the top carve or flat..it's hard to tell

MANDOLINMYSTER
Dec-10-2004, 4:24pm
Jim,

Thanks for sharing the pics. I almost bought one of those about 10 years ago but I let it get away. By the way what is the scale length?

Jim Garber
Dec-10-2004, 5:38pm
I had a couple of more pics. Here is the peghead.

jmkatcher
Dec-10-2004, 5:38pm
What a cool shape! What does it sound like especially compared with a Gibson or L&H A?

Jim Garber
Dec-10-2004, 5:39pm
Here is the tailpiece cover. Not quite as ornate as an L&H but getting there.

Jim Garber
Dec-10-2004, 5:48pm
The scale length is 13 7/8 inches. The top and back are carved. The carving is much different than either L&H or Gibson. Sort of flat near the edges for maybe 3/4" or so then bulges out.

I got this one many years ago at a live auction (remember them?) in the Hudson Valley. I knew I wanted it and just kept my bidding card in the air. I almsot sold it on ebay a number of years ago but it didn;t meet reserve and by that time I rediscovered it.

Acoustic Music works in Pittsburgh had this one (http://www.acousticmusicworks.com/Bacon.html). The guy who bought it contacted me about it. His was/is missing the tailpiece cover. You think it it hard to find an original L&H cover try to find a Bacon.

There was also one on ebay a few years ago and a guy in California got it and I sent hi a tracing to repro the pick guard.

Darryl, I will keep my eye out for one for you.

Jim

Jim Garber
Dec-10-2004, 5:49pm
What a cool shape! #What does it sound like especially compared with a Gibson or L&H A?
See my very first post.

Jim

Django Fret
Dec-10-2004, 6:03pm
Jim,

Great looking instrument! What town in Connecticut were they manufactured? I can't tell from the label, but would be interested to know where they made these.

Ken
Dec-10-2004, 6:11pm
Neat! Just curiosity, does the tail block extend across the lower part of the mandolin?

Ken

Jim Garber
Dec-10-2004, 7:12pm
Jim,

Great looking instrument! #What town in Connecticut were they manufactured? #I can't tell from the label, but would be interested to know where they made these.
Groton.

Jim

Mandosecond
Dec-10-2004, 7:26pm
I'm "the guy" who grabbed the one that Steve at Acoustic Music Works in Pittsburgh put up for sale here on the classifieds. #It's not nearly as cosmetically gorgeous as Jim's (though it's better in person than in the harsh light of Steve's photos), but it's structurally fine and I agree with Jim as to the sound: somewhere between my teens Gibson F and my L&H long scale Style A. #

I've been lazy and haven't yet done any measuring, either inside or outside. #I've just been playing the thing.

Ok, so who's got a tailpiece cover for it? Fess up. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Jim Garber
Dec-10-2004, 7:34pm
Yeah, Bob, I was surprised that Steve even mentioned your name on the site.

Jim

MANDOLINMYSTER
Dec-10-2004, 8:16pm
Hey Jim,

I think I was at that auction, Fishkill, NY by any chance?

Jim Garber
Dec-10-2004, 9:49pm
Hey Jim,

I think I was at that auction, Fishkill, NY by any chance?
That was the one, actually across the river in Newburgh. Doyle was the auctioneer and they were in Fishkill.

There were a few of those auctions over the years. I got my favorite fiddle at another of those and a National tenor guitar at yet another.

Jim

f5loar
Dec-16-2004, 10:16am
It only took the new Gibson "F" hole F5 to take Place away from Bacon and over to Gibson to endorse Gibson in 1923.
Gibson presented Place with a custom "gold" plated F5 in 1923 and from then on he was seen in their catalogs. Before Bacon I believe he was an F4 picker. Place was one of the few who thought the sound of the new F5 was the future of the classical mandolin. History shows it was dying at this feet begining in early 20's. I agree with Darryl in that this would be a cool one to have. Does anyone know the list price for this one in 1921?

Jim Garber
Dec-16-2004, 10:27am
The only photo I have of a higher end Bacon mandolin is is a reprint of the period and it is of the Professional model which I believe to be one notch below the Artist, with two less points, plain tailpiece and less inlay on the headstock (see below). I will check but I don't think prices were listed in that catalog.

BTW I was at a party with my Bacon a few years ago and Stan Jay from Mandolin Bros was there. He commented that he had never seen one before.

Jim