PDA

View Full Version : Bill Monroe Song Rights

BHart
Feb-08-2012, 6:40pm
I'm looking to license a song written by Bill Monroe and Peter Rowan, but I'm unable to identify the current holder of the rights to the song. The rights were held by Evergreen Copyrights, which was purchased by BMG in November 2010. BMG doesn't appear to have the song, or any Bill Monroe songs, listed in their database. Does anyone know who the current owner of those rights is?

GDAE
Feb-08-2012, 6:56pm
What's the song?

John McCoy
Feb-08-2012, 7:14pm
For an authoritative answer, this is the starting point: US Copyright Office (http://www.copyright.gov/records/)

They have a pretty good search engine for copyrights registered since 1978 or so, and it's supposed to contain current rights holders. (FWIW, I searched for my own stuff and found that a title search was quicker than a name [e.g., composer] search, so...) You will probably need to know the precise exact title, perhaps including any alternate titles under which the song has been published.

My understanding is that the post-1977 database includes re-registrations, so you might find what you need even on an older song.

They're still in the process of digitizing older registrations, but they do have a search routine for pre-1978 registrations.

You can also try the ASCAP search engine (http://ascap.org/ace/index.aspx) and the BMI search engine (http://www.bmi.com/) (for this one,mouse over "Search" in the upper right-hand corner of the page and use the drop-down search box).
Good luck

== John ==

GDAE
Feb-08-2012, 7:44pm
Try BMI...I found Walls of Time there.

Loudloar
Feb-08-2012, 8:54pm
If you want to license a song your first step (and probably only step) should be to go to the Harry Fox Agency. http://www.harryfox.com Check out "License Music" then "Mechanical License" if you're making a CD.

Steve

BHart
Feb-08-2012, 9:39pm
You must have read my mind...the song is Walls of Time. Unfortunately, all roads seem to lead to Evergreen Copyrights, now absorbed by BMG. The Evergreen Copyrights website provided on BMI is dead. BMG doesn't list it. Harry Fox, which I tried first, lists the song rights as "held by others" (Evergreen). I'm thinking it's likely someone here knows the status of the Bill Monroe song rights. I'm hoping...

f5loar
Feb-08-2012, 10:51pm
It was my understanding son James still gets some mighty powerfull checks for the songs his daddy wrote or co-wrote. Everything thing I have for "Walls of Time" only shows Bill Monroe as the writter of that song. First recording in 1968 with Roland White and second recording with son James in 1972 both only show Monroe. There is an old Earth Opera song recorded on their first LP that Rowan and Monroe wrote together.

TEE
Feb-09-2012, 6:15pm
Pete always claims he and Monroe wrote it together. He usually tells this story before the song. Can't help on the copywrite issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h_G1m69HNc

BHart
Feb-09-2012, 9:01pm
Thanks for that, TEE. Harry Fox lists WOT as being written by both Bill Monroe and Peter Rowan.
BMG is so far being non-responsive, so I'm still searching...

BHart
Feb-09-2012, 9:18pm
Found it! It is BMG that holds the rights, but I had to open an account with them before their search engine gave me a positive response. Thanks all!

William Smith
Feb-09-2012, 9:33pm
[QUOTE=TEE;1020630]Pete always claims he and Monroe wrote it together. He usually tells this story before the song. Can't help on the copywrite issues.
Yes evertime I've seen hm play he tells that story about WOTime,Well if he wasn't credited that could be one reason hes' so arrogant and rude acting out in public? or maybe thats his nature but he should remeber his fans!,if it wasn't for them buying his recordings he wouldn't be pickin on stage or recordin records!

swampstomper
Feb-10-2012, 7:44am
@bluegrasser78, I can't speak about your experience with Peter Rowan(s) but two years ago when he came as a solo act to my little corner of the Netherlands, he sat and chatted with me, my companion, other passers-by before and after the show, very friendly and patient. In the show itself he responded nicely to all requests. Yes, he has his shtick but I would say that after all these years and with his great music he is permitted.

f5loar
Feb-10-2012, 9:19pm
Does BMG list both Monroe and Rowan as writers? I've been a Pete fan since his first days as a Bluegrass Boy. I could see the new life in Monroe with these new younger bluegrass boys in the band. If you listen to the many live recordings of when Pete was in the band you can easily see Monroe was feeling it with them. It's pretty common knowledge Monroe would not always give sharing rights to his bluegrass boys. Many helped out with a lot of songs and recieved no credit other than maybe on stage shows. I have found Pete to be easy to get along with even back during his Earth Opera/Seatrain/Rowan Bros. days. In the 80's he came to a nearby bar as a solo act and asked me to come up on stage to do a few numbers with him. I remember doing "Dancing with The Angels" and many Monroe songs with him. Since then I guess we became good friends.

Willie Poole
Feb-10-2012, 9:43pm
As far as song writing credits I know that John Duffey told me that he took credit for writing a few songs that other band members wrote, they were not members of BMI or ASCAP and John was, so he claimed the songs as his....John has been know to spread it on little thick at times, I am just repeating something that he told me....

Willie

William Smith
Feb-10-2012, 9:47pm
@bluegrasser78, I can't speak about your experience with Peter Rowan(s) but two years ago when he came as a solo act to my little corner of the Netherlands, he sat and chatted with me, my companion, other passers-by before and after the show, very friendly and patient. In the show itself he responded nicely to all requests. Yes, he has his shtick but I would say that after all these years and with his great music he is permitted.

Maybe he was just havin a bad day or somethin but still he was fairliy rude to a handfull of longtime fans,,Its just too bad because I know they won't buy or listen to his stuff now! and many people left during his performance while he was closein the show.. Musicians should try and not let their fans down!