PDA

View Full Version : Morris mandolin build!

djc227
Feb-07-2012, 11:25am
Having a mandolin built by Howard Morris. Thought it might be fun to document the build since he will be sending photos throughout the process. Here is the first photo! Finished mandolin with be: Western Red Cedar top, maple back and sides, brazilian rosewood headstock and fretboard with matching armrest.

Ed Goist
Feb-07-2012, 11:48am
Congratulations!
Sonny is such a great guy to work with, and his mandolins (especially his ff-hole mandolins, IMO) sound awesome!
That's some sharp Rosewood he's using for the peghead overlay and the fretboard. Nice!
I look forward to watching the build.

Tom C
Feb-07-2012, 11:58am
Sonny? Howard?

djc227
Feb-07-2012, 12:10pm
Yes. I suppose either of those is correct! I don't know that I'm on a first name basis since I've only spoke to him once so far!

Ed Goist
Feb-07-2012, 12:11pm
Sorry about the confusion.
Howard goes by Sonny, so it's: Howard "Sonny" Morris.

djc227
Feb-07-2012, 8:04pm

Pics with neck installed.

Kevin Turinsky
Feb-08-2012, 1:00am
Thanks for posting the photos. I'm very eager to see it come together!

djc227
Feb-09-2012, 2:48pm

Here it is with the back installed and the first stain and seal coat!

djc227
Feb-27-2012, 3:24pm

Photos of the finished product taken by Mr. Morris. More to follow when it gets here. Shipped today so should be soon!

Mandobart
Feb-27-2012, 4:19pm
You'll be more than pleased. I have a western redcedar topped F4 built by Sonny; got it over two years ago. Sounds better all the time.

Dfyngravity
Feb-27-2012, 4:42pm
I just snagged me a brand new Morris A5 with an Englemann top and curly maple back, sides and neck. I just got it Saturday and strung it up with some J74s and man does she really sing. As soon as I got it I did a speed neck and it plays as smooth as butter. I plan on replacing the frets with larger EVO gold banjo frets, changing the tailpiece to a gold James tailpiece and changing the tuners to Grover gold 309 tuners.

All in all, Mr. Morris is build a great mandolin. For the price, you can't really get any better.

Jim Garber
Feb-27-2012, 4:54pm

What is that inlay/overlay? It looks like small colored bits of reflective material.

Ed Goist
Feb-27-2012, 5:43pm
Congratulations! It's a beauty.

djc227
Feb-27-2012, 5:54pm
I just snagged me a brand new Morris A5 with an Englemann top and curly maple back, sides and neck. I just got it Saturday and strung it up with some J74s and man does she really sing. As soon as I got it I did a speed neck and it plays as smooth as butter. I plan on replacing the frets with larger EVO gold banjo frets, changing the tailpiece to a gold James tailpiece and changing the tuners to Grover gold 309 tuners.

All in all, Mr. Morris is build a great mandolin. For the price, you can't really get any better.

I think I saw pics of that one before I ordered the one I ended up having built. Was it a honey amber finish? It was a good looking mandolin.

Jim: I don't know what the inlay is. I'll have to give it a closer look when it gets here. I just assumed it was what he used on all of him mandolins.

Dfyngravity
Feb-27-2012, 8:38pm
I think I saw pics of that one before I ordered the one I ended up having built. Was it a honey amber finish? It was a good looking mandolin.

Jim: I don't know what the inlay is. I'll have to give it a closer look when it gets here. I just assumed it was what he used on all of him mandolins.

Yes, that's the one.

Oh, and yes that is pretty much the only inlay I have seen him do.

Mandobart
Feb-27-2012, 9:23pm
What is that inlay/overlay? It looks like small colored bits of reflective material.

Sonny does use an overlay before the finish coat. He focuses on tone and playability, and doesn't spend your money on anything that doesn't make the instrument sound or play better. It works for me; I know some that won't have a mando without a nice inlay job. To each their own.

djc227
Feb-29-2012, 10:34am
Well it's here! Just came via USPS, and now I'm gonna have to sit here for an hour or two while it acclimates to the temperature. That has to be the worst part of ordering a mandolin in the winter!

djc227
Feb-29-2012, 3:11pm
It's awesome. I don't think I could take a picture that would show just how gorgeous this mandolin is in person. (I will try when I get home tonight though :) Everything is just spot on as far as sound and playability. Hard to believe that you can buy a mandolin that sounds like this at that price. I went through a few songs that I usually have trouble with and didn't falter once. It is challenging the theory that a better mandolin does not make a better player.

After seeing this mandolin up close I don't know why many people prefer so much binding on their instruments. The natural look without binding is just gorgeous.

Ed Goist
Feb-29-2012, 6:21pm
Aren't Sonny's set-ups incredible?
Remarkable playability!

djc227
Mar-01-2012, 9:11pm

Here are the final pictures. It sure has been hard to put down. Believe it or not it sounds better than it looks.

Eric Hanson
Mar-01-2012, 9:27pm
Is there a verdict on the material used for the inlay.
BTW That is one beautiful instrument!
Congrats to you, and may your playing ever more be refined.:mandosmiley:

Mandobart
Mar-01-2012, 10:51pm
Is there a verdict on the material used for the inlay.
BTW That is one beautiful instrument!
Congrats to you, and may your playing ever more be refined.:mandosmiley:

Sonny actually has someone making good quality decals (overlay). I don't know what the material is.

djc227
Mar-01-2012, 10:53pm
Yeah it's an overlay not an inlay. I'm sure it's to keep costs down. I've seen pictures of mandolins he's built where the customer requested custom inlay, but the upgrades cost more.

I'm kind of a utilitarian, but I honestly love the natural look of this mandolin. For my taste it's perfect.