PDA

View Full Version : interesting hybrid

D C Blood
Feb-05-2012, 10:54pm

We saw this at spbgma this weekend. It has a durn good fiddle sound, not so much on the mando side...it is called "fiddllin"...

Mandobart
Feb-06-2012, 12:18am
Interesting novelty idea, are both sides spruce? What good does the cutaway do on the mando side when the fiddle side doesn't have it? Why not cutaway the fiddle side too, since that "false storefront" on the fiddle upper bass side bout ain't doing anything either? Does the fiddle bridge act as a tone-gard when you play the mando side? Does it have a soundpost? Does the mando side have tone bars or bracing? Thanks for sharing this, I've never seen anything like it before. Kinda makes sense the mando side may not sound so good, that is an awfully big soundhole compared to the rest of the instrument.

John McCoy
Feb-06-2012, 12:27am
Conceptually, it kinda brings to mind the double-belled euphonium.

== John ==

Tavy
Feb-06-2012, 4:44am
Oh my, that's just wrong in so many ways......!

Jim Garber
Feb-06-2012, 8:27am
This was tried in the past in both ways. Turturro Turnover was a early 20th century attempt to combine a uke and a mandolin. I owned one years ago but the sound of either was very thin. Also, i would think they would have made it with a deeper body and give the mandolin f-holes or at least position the soundhole differently from the uke part. This way the sound leaks out of both sides.

Then other instrument is called a Violaline -- not a flipover model but a mandolin built on a viola style body.

Marc Woodward
Feb-06-2012, 9:54am
Yuk!

Sorry...

Marc
:)