PDA

View Full Version : Mowry 'cello

amowry
Jan-31-2012, 3:16pm
Here's a new mandocello I completed last week, based an a K2 that my customer brought for me to check out.

amowry
Jan-31-2012, 3:19pm
And a few miscellaneous other instruments from this batch...

Jared Heddinger
Jan-31-2012, 3:31pm
That 'cello is definitely giving me some CBOM-envy. It looks like it could shake an entire home!

John Rosett
Jan-31-2012, 3:43pm
Andrew- That guitar is beautiful! How about a couple more pictures and details?

sunburst
Jan-31-2012, 3:46pm
Bravo, Andrew!
What is the scale length on the 'cello?

amowry
Jan-31-2012, 3:51pm
Thanks John- I didn't want to take up too much space with it since it's not a mandolin, but it could also be a mandocello ;. It's modeled closely after a 1928 L5 that I spent some time with. It has tone bars. It's headed for Carmel Music, so I believe it will be on the web site there at some point. Here are a few more photos...

amowry
Jan-31-2012, 3:53pm
Oh, the previous post was for the first John, and this one is for the latter...

I went with 24 2/4" which was the same as the original K2, and the same as the guitar, incidentally. I think the 'cello scale could be a little longer, but my customer was familiar with the K2 and it felt good to him.

sunburst
Jan-31-2012, 4:03pm
Thanks Andrew.
I have a potential customer who has been off-and-on deciding to order (then deciding not to) a 'cello for the last couple of years. John Monteleone suggests a 25" scale, so your impression that is could be a little longer squares with that.

Tavy
Feb-01-2012, 4:28am
Ooooo, those are just beautiful. Great great work Andrew!

usqebach
Feb-01-2012, 5:38am
Wow! Stunning! I also really like the ff holes on that "unusual instrument with 6 strings that's tuned in that bizarre combination of fourths and a random third."

Have you ever considered putting together a coffee table book of your pictures? I think there would be a market for it.

Jim

Trey Young
Feb-01-2012, 8:07am
Beautiful work!