PDA

View Full Version : Gibson A-5L

Manjol
Jan-30-2012, 5:23pm
I have a Gibson A-5L, year 1995,and I love it,I think it has a nice and powerful sound!
Can someone tell me who is that man who signed it?
Does he bear a lot of responsability in the process (choosing type of woods for ex.) of making the instrument, or is he just testing the mandolin and checking for any defect before leaving the factory?
How many mandolins A-5L does approximately Gibson make per year?
Are they all made in the same factory?

PJ Doland
Jan-30-2012, 5:37pm
I'm currently sitting on an A-5L from July 10 of the same year, with the same signature. I think it's Larry Barnwell.

sunburst
Jan-30-2012, 6:39pm
Does he bear a lot of responsability in the process (choosing type of woods for ex.) of making the instrument, or is he just testing the mandolin and checking for any defect before leaving the factory?

I'm not sure anybody really knows what responsibility Gibson label signers have or have had. It all started with LLoyd Loar and whatever it was he did before signing the labels. I think it's mostly a final inspection sort of thing.

Big Joe
Jan-30-2012, 7:24pm
Larry Barnwell is the signature on the label. At this period he was general manager of the mandolin factory at that time. Larry is a good bluegrass picker. He left Gibson shortly thereafter and went to work for Martin Guitar Company and is still there the last I knew. Larry is one of the good guys and not only a factory guy, but a picker as well.

samlyman
Jan-30-2012, 8:22pm
How do you like the instrument? How long have you had it? I had a new one around 1995 but returned it after a few weeks because it was so quiet. I have always wondered how it matured.

Manjol
Jan-31-2012, 3:33am
[QUOTE=samlyman;1016465]How do you like the instrument? How long have you had it?[QUOTE]

I've had it for 8 years!!! I like the shape of it, like a teardrop! And it's lightweight! I always have it in my pocket!!!

pfox14
Jan-31-2012, 10:21am
Where these mandolins built in Nashville? Never could understand why Gibson bought Flatiron, but turned the Bozeman, MT factory into the acoustic guitar division.