PDA

View Full Version : Show me your speedneck?

GDAE
Jan-27-2012, 1:44am
I'm thinking of doing a speedneck on my mandolin. I saw one recently that I didn't really care for the look of, with the finish ending abruptly...I was picturing something that sort of fades or feathers off at each end.

Anyway...show me what you've got?

And are you happy that you did it, and what did you use as a final finish (like tung oil or whatever) to keep the grunge out?

greg_tsam
Jan-27-2012, 8:30am
Where is Mike when you need him to suggest using the search function. :) This was recently discussed.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?79724-cost-to-do-a-speed-neck&highlight=speedneck

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?33492-No-neck-finish&highlight=speedneck

Ed Goist
Jan-27-2012, 11:34am
I think that Jason Harshbarger did a fantastic job on the speed neck on my Highland Strings 2-Point.
The neck and back are Cherry, with oil varnish on the body and a Tung Oil 'speed' finish on back of neck. I think it looks great (is barely noticeable), and it feels absolutely fantastic.
Every time I go back to The Raven after playing one of my other mandolins the first thing I notice is how smooth, fast, and fantastic the back of the neck feels.

81527 81526 81525

GDAE
Jan-27-2012, 11:44am
"Where is Mike when you need him to suggest using the search function. :) This was recently discussed."

Except that what I am specifically looking for is photos....I am aware of the other threads, but I wanted to see photos to see exactly what other people have achieved.

JeffD
Jan-27-2012, 12:26pm
I'm thinking of doing a speedneck on my mandolin. I saw one recently that I didn't really care for the look of, with the finish ending abruptly...I was picturing something that sort of fades or feathers off at each end.

My experience with fiddles is that when new, the transition is abrupt. Its through use and age that the transition becomes harder to see.

That being said, I agree that there are ways of doing the transition tastefully, and ways that look like one just forgot to finish the neck.

greg_tsam
Jan-27-2012, 1:20pm
Fair enough. On the first link I posted there are 5 posted pictures of speed necks. Ed's pic above is so smooth I couldn't see where it was. Nice.

"Where is Mike when you need him to suggest using the search function. :) This was recently discussed."

Except that what I am specifically looking for is photos....I am aware of the other threads, but I wanted to see photos to see exactly what other people have achieved.

MONami
Jan-27-2012, 1:46pm
post withdrawed

Doug Edwards
Jan-27-2012, 10:16pm
Recent two point. May have to do the maple two point as well. Sealed with a boiled linseed oil varnish.

rico mando
Jan-28-2012, 11:15am
My gibson A-5 has an ugly speed neck . but it has the kind of finish that i was able to peel off the neck in one piece . sorry no photo but i do not think you want to see more ugly speed necks .

lenf12
Jan-28-2012, 11:17am
815738157481576When I got this 1956 F-12 the back of the nicely figured maple neck was finished with this sticky black "paint". It was awful in warm, humid weather so it had to go. It's much better now and is finished with human hand secretions (mine). Nice patina imo. I also swapped the bulky Kluson tuners for a set of svelte, gold Gotoh's with real pearl buttons. I like this mandolin a lot now!!

Enjoy!!
Len B.
Clearwater, FL

GDAE
Feb-01-2012, 11:01am
Thanks, Ed, Doug and Len...anyone else have any speedneck photos?