PDA

View Full Version : Best mandolin for around $2200

Paul Edwards
Jan-23-2012, 9:14am
I know there have been tons of threads about this kind of thing, but I just wanted to get people's opinions all in one place, if willing. I've been looking around at Collings, Weber, Breedlove, Kentucky, etc. and while let's be honest.. while I love the looks.. sound is absolutely most important. How would $2200 be best spent on a new mandolin?

Ed Goist
Jan-23-2012, 10:02am
I'd recommend taking a look at custom A-Styles from both Girouard Mandolins (http://www.girouardmandolins.com/Instrument_Details.html) and Highland Strings (http://www.highlandstrings.com/products/mandolins).
Fantastic mandolins and exceptional values IMO (NFI).
Price range for both is +/- $2,100.

yankees1
Jan-23-2012, 10:09am
$300-$400. more and you could have a Northfield A or an Old Wave A. I would go with the Old Wave!

almeriastrings
Jan-23-2012, 10:12am
It depends what sound you are looking for. Also neck feel, etc. No easy answer. Try to play as many as possible. Only you can decide what you like best. There are many options in that price range. You are spoiled for choice.

Jonathan James
Jan-23-2012, 10:19am
at that price, I'd go for a Collings MT. Consistently great tone and classic looks. Should be able to pick one up for around $1800 used.

Jim Garber
Jan-23-2012, 10:48am
$300-$400. more and you could have a Northfield A or an Old Wave A. I would go with the Old Wave!

I just checked on the Northfield site (http://www.northfieldinstruments.com/mandolins) and the base A model is $2000.

f5loar
Jan-23-2012, 11:15am
That's a $figure that is harder to spend then $1000 or $5000. So much in between yes but sometimes the $1000 can get you as good as the $5000. Can you tell us what style music you want to play on the mandolin? And do you have to have new? Being from Wales you might be more Celtic and get recomends on hard core traditional "Rawhide" bluegrass type mandolin. Big difference.

Markus
Jan-23-2012, 11:18am
Oval or F-hole?
New or used?

onassis
Jan-23-2012, 12:24pm
Oval or F-hole?
New or used?

Exactly. It all depends on what you're looking for. There are a world of possibilities at that price point in the used market, especially in A's.

Paul Edwards
Jan-23-2012, 4:34pm
Well.. I'm hoping and would prefer for new.. unless I can find a really good deal on a used one.. then it would be crazy not to. I was also hoping for an f-hole.. and an f-style, but that really limits my options.. a lot. I would say the type of music I'm looking to play is bluegrass.. though I'll be doing some celtic aside from lessons, jams, etc.

Thanks for the input so far guys.. I can already feel the sweat building from spending this much on an instrument in one go..

f5loar
Jan-23-2012, 4:52pm
then I think you can do well by the KM1000 new or used at much less then $2200 or even the KM1500 at that price or less if you like the fancier fern inlay and other improvements over the 1000 like slightly radius fingerboard and slightly wider body for more Loar like punch to it and the really nice case it comes in. I would get those models from an internet dealer that allows you the 48 hour approval. Don't like it , send it back and you are only out $50 on shipping it back plus those dealers do set them up which is important on any import like that. Plus they stand behind the limited warrenty. IMO if you get a good KM1500 you won't be bothered with MAS for many years to come.

Paul Edwards
Jan-23-2012, 5:26pm
I was actually looking at some pricetones (I hear they are pretty good), debating paying a little extra for highland strings, and the KM1500.. but I've been having some trouble finding anywhere that still has a 1500.

frshwtrbob
Jan-23-2012, 5:33pm
You really NEED to get to some music stores in your neck of Illinois/Indiana that sell/stock mandolins and try out everything that they have in stock. If they give you grief, tell them you are willing to spend 2200 dollars and they will shut up. Then come back here and tell us what you found out about your tastes. Have fun doing it and don't be impulsive.

terzinator
Jan-23-2012, 5:34pm
I love my Collings MT, but if you're dead set on a new F-style, F-hole, I'd check out the Weber Special edition at the Mandolin Store... Like a Bitterroot but no top binding. Simple, understated, elegant as heck. $1999.

http://www.themandolinstore.com/ProdImages/WSProdLG_Weber%20SE%20wide%20(1).JPG

Paul Edwards
Jan-23-2012, 5:43pm
Have fun doing it and don't be impulsive.

It's tough.. but I'll try :grin:

Paul Edwards
Jan-23-2012, 5:45pm
i do really wish I could try one of those webers though.. don't think there are too many places close to my area that have a decent stock..

although the more I look around.. the more tempted I am to get an A..

yankees1
Jan-23-2012, 5:50pm
Musicfolk in Saint Louis, Mo has a number of mandolins in your price range!

terzinator
Jan-23-2012, 5:50pm
i do really wish I could try one of those webers though.. don't think there are too many places close to my area that have a decent stock..
I've never dealt with The Mandolin Store, but many others here on the forum have, and say they're great to work with. They will ship free, and they have an approval period so if you don't like it, you're not stuck.

pefjr
Jan-23-2012, 5:56pm
then I think you can do well by the KM1000 new or used at much less then $2200 or even the KM1500 at that price or less if you like the fancier fern inlay and other improvements over the 1000 like slightly radius fingerboard and slightly wider body for more Loar like punch to it and the really nice case it comes in. I would get those models from an internet dealer that allows you the 48 hour approval. Don't like it , send it back and you are only out $50 on shipping it back plus those dealers do set them up which is important on any import like that. Plus they stand behind the limited warrenty. IMO if you get a good KM1500 you won't be bothered with MAS for many years to come.I kinda agree with you. For $1000.00 of my money, I can easily be satisfied with what I can find at that limit +or -200. Now if I am spending your money,.......well why stop at 2200. I have gotten a 'feeling' that above the $1000 plateau is only cosmetic and/or a more rare instrument of beauty that may be a better investment than a good player. But, if you need to sell, you may have to take a few thousand loss also. Now I probably stirred up a hornet's nest of disagreement, argument, and justification so, let me say that is IMO, YMMV.

tburcham
Jan-23-2012, 7:07pm
Used Collings MT2.

D C Blood
Jan-23-2012, 7:33pm
Hi BarnOwl...All kinds of good choices, aren't there? I'd suggest coming down to SPBGMA in Nashville, Feb 2-4, where you'll find all kinds of mandolins, new and used, PAC Rims and American made small builders. My specific recommendation for you would be an A model by Ken Ratcliff, maker of Silverangel mandolins, or for a little more, a Silverangel F model. Ken will have a booth in the vendors' area at SPBGMA...look up his website at www.silverangelmandolins.com
(NFI)

Stephen Cagle
Jan-23-2012, 8:15pm
Don't purchase any mandolin until you atleast play a Pricetone. If sound/volume is what your looking for then your gonna be very pleased. Check his site. I believe they are 2100 w/ case. Mine was built in April 2002 #35. Right out of the case- well let's just say I was not expecting what I heard. They are really that good. I had some work done to mine about a mth ago by Sam Whaley of Whaley mandolins and I can tell you he was very impressed. He mentioned about contacting Lewis Price regarding his mandolin building. Sam told me that he only knew of several builders that built mandolins like John Hutto and Lewis was one of them. Not to make this a Pricetone thread but since someone else had mentioned them this was a good time to piggyback. USA made, fair price and I can vouch for the tone and volume. Pic's of my Pricetone are in my profile if anyone want's to see it.

Barry Platnick
Jan-23-2012, 11:32pm
Used Collings MT2.

Ditto

almeriastrings
Jan-24-2012, 12:29am
This is where you have to play them... KM-1500/1000 are great mandolins. So are Silverangels. So are Collings. But... utterly, totally different from one another. Worlds apart. They sound different, and they feel different. It is 100% down to preference. It is not as if there is a single "best". There are several "bests". I happen to like Silverangels (I have two of them), I also like the KM-1000's. I admire Collings precision, fit and finish and consistency, but their tonal characteristics (so far) have not appealed to me. That's just me, though. My personal taste. I would never suggest the KM-1000's or Silverangel's are "better". Just different and suit my style and ear. Play as many as you can. Learn the different "flavors" available.

Mike Snyder
Jan-24-2012, 1:51am
You've got to do some tasting to find out what flavor of icecream you like. Road trip is the way to go. Morgan Music in Lebanon, Mo. always has a few good ones. Everybody seems to have a dog in the fight. My ear hears a Gibson. I have friends who hear Weber, Collings. The one Silverangel I've played was very nice and Kentucky today is not like Kentucky in the 80s. I like American made instruments, but I drive a Toyota and always will. Go figure. Really, I envy you the journey of discovery. For those of us that have found the "soulmate" mandolin, it's just picks and strings, straps and cases. YOU are the lucky one hunting big game.

You can line out a road trip online and know what shops have what inventory before you gas up. SPBGMA is good but you might be out the two grand in food, lodging and parking fees and go home with an Aria. Plus if you're not a Bgrasser you might end up gouging your ears out.

Mike Thomas
Jan-24-2012, 1:59am
You can even find the occasional Collings MT2 around $2200!

dcoventry
Jan-24-2012, 2:51am
Buy used, be patient, and maybe one of these will show up for $2200!

Paul Edwards
Jan-24-2012, 8:09am
Thanks for the help guys.. it's exciting.. but I'm constantly fighting the urge to be impulsive every second. I even saw a KM1500 yesterday going for 1800.. I really do feel lucky though.. and excited.

Paul Edwards
Jan-24-2012, 8:47am
Does anybody know of any differences between one vs. two piece necks? ... aside from the fact that they are 1.. and 2 piece necks. :)

pefjr
Jan-24-2012, 9:46am
Does anybody know of any differences between one vs. two piece necks? ... aside from the fact that they are 1.. and 2 piece necks. :)It's a cosmetic difference. I have heard it is cheaper to make a two piece at the heel, but stronger. Some of the split necks are beautiful, and I assume also stronger. A plate on the head stock might make it stronger also. The fit of the neck in your hand is more important.

dubblestop
Jan-24-2012, 11:34am
Check out gradymandolins.com. I recently purchased #65, an f- style and it sounds great and looks fantastic. He currently has one that he had out on consignment that required a little refurbishing that he will let go for under $2000 (less than half price of the new ones)! Great artisanship. Good luck!

kirksdad
Jan-24-2012, 9:49pm
I love my Collings MT, but if you're dead set on a new F-style, F-hole, I'd check out the Weber Special edition at the Mandolin Store... Like a Bitterroot but no top binding. Simple, understated, elegant as heck. $1999.

http://www.themandolinstore.com/ProdImages/WSProdLG_Weber%20SE%20wide%20(1).JPG

Ditto on Mando Store Weber SE good deal in A or F Style......

Michael Richmond
Jan-24-2012, 10:14pm
Another thing to consider is the neck profile that feels the most comfortable to you.

I have a Weber SE F-style from The Mandolin Store with an oval hole. It plays like butter with a wonderful rich tone. If you have a chance to sample a Weber and like feel of the neck and the Weber tone then an SE might be a good choice.

f5loar
Jan-24-2012, 10:41pm
If you found a KM1500 new or used for $1800 you best be jumping on it fast! They did have a signficant price increase this year.
That's a steal of a deal IMO.