PDA

View Full Version : MAS Confusion

Mike Scott
Jan-22-2012, 1:16am
OK, I'll admit it I have MAS bad! So..............what to do. I guess I'll buy an F style. I already have an outstanding A style and an older pac rim F that is my travel/beater. Here is the "problem" (is there really a problem when you get to purchase a new mandolin-no) what to buy. I have the opportunity to buy a new one from the same small builder that built my A, I could buy a used small builder from Greg Boyd, Collings MF? Weber Yellowstone? or just save a bunch of $$$ and buy a Kentucky KM 1000 or 1500 ( I had a 2008 KM1000 that I stupidly sold and have regretted for a couple of years). I play a variety of music styles and will be taking this to bluegrass and old time jams-to get that out of the way. I've been an off and on player for about 3 and a half years, and am not great, but muddle along.

I know the decision is ultimately mine, but I am curious what others would do if in my place. Limited ability to try before I buy, but will require a 48 hour approval if I go small builder new or mail/internet purchase of used. Let's just say I have a limit of approximately $4000 of course I would love to spend around $2500 or less if I could get the same quality. Choices at this point include Silverangel, Givens, Collings MF, Weber Yellowstone, Kentucky KM 1000 or 1500-new or used (if available) HELP! Please.

Ben Milne
Jan-22-2012, 1:24am
I would grab the Eastman 815 in the classifieds (NFI) and put the spare change toward an AEA ribbon mic and a Vintage Designs channel strip, but I am also suffer from gear acquisition syndrome...

Mike Bunting
Jan-22-2012, 1:28am
I would grab the Eastman 815 in the classifieds (NFI) and put the spare change toward an AEA ribbon mic and a Vintage Designs channel strip, but I am also suffer from gear acquisition syndrome...
The AEA Tube Ribbon Pre is pretty cool too.

Ed Goist
Jan-22-2012, 3:37pm
...snip...I know the decision is ultimately mine, but I am curious what others would do if in my place. Limited ability to try before I buy, but will require a 48 hour approval if I go small builder new or mail/internet purchase of used. Let's just say I have a limit of approximately $4000 of course I would love to spend around $2500 or less if I could get the same quality. Choices at this point include Silverangel, Givens, Collings MF, Weber Yellowstone, Kentucky KM 1000 or 1500-new or used (if available) HELP! Please.

Girouard Mandolins F5 (http://www.girouardmandolins.com/) - $3K
Highland Strings 'Copperhead' F5 (http://www.highlandstrings.com/products/mandolins) - ~$4K

mandroid
Jan-22-2012, 4:24pm
Ah scroll envy strikes again.. I got a Lebeda off the classifieds many years ago..

Last purchase, was one of Peter Mix's A5s that is a fine instrument,
but I get 2nd hand , so if it needs work after that,
like owning an existing house, I have to get it done,

Peter's 'F' style are ~6K , 'A' type 3.6K,
if I were working gigs, and 'needed' a F, with a pickup pre installed,

I'd get one.

Jim Nollman
Jan-22-2012, 4:41pm
It's always risky to buy a mandolin without playing it first. And very little need to gamble like that.

For the amount you are willing to spend, it seems worth your while to visit Seattle. Spend a couple of hours at Dusty Strings, and try out the 10 or more they have hanging on the wall. If it's truly sound you are after, you might surprise yourself and end up buying a Collings A instead of an F. If you plan your search to Seattle for late February, you could also drive across Lake Washington to spend an afternoon at Wintergrass and try out many more mandolins on sale that vary from the cheap to the heavenly. You'll hear 100 more mandolins if you stick around to listen to some of the nonstop jams. And you can personally chat up at least a few of the best builders in the world and look through their portfolio. Plus, if you find a mandolin you might like to try after searching here in the Cafe classifieds, if the seller is from the Pac NW, there's a pretty good chance he or she will be happy to meet you at Wintergrass so you can give it test drive.

Mike Scott
Jan-22-2012, 5:36pm
I have been to Dusty Strings and in the under $4K range was no too impressed. My current A (in my and other's opinions), sounds and plays better than the couple of Collinga MTs they had when I was there. I will admit on purchasing without playing, based on the reputation of the builder. The Wintergrass suggestion is a good one-also recommended by my instructor. I really like the neck and playability on the A (Silverangel) and like Ken's distressed F's. Do I need a new or different instrument-no, but isn't that what MAS is all about anyway? I just thought I should explore some other ideas as well. Winter grass is an excellent idea-thanks

pjlama
Jan-22-2012, 5:56pm
If you're happy with your Silverangel A just have Ken build a nice F for you. This way you'll definetly be happy, you know what you're getting and he prices his F well so you'll have spare change to boot.

Londy
Jan-22-2012, 7:06pm
Have you looked into either a Kimball or maybe a Mann?

old time picker
Jan-27-2012, 9:04am
I know im a little late to this thread,but if you want a great F style mandolin I would look no further than Girouard mandolins. A custom F style mandolin from them is 3k and worth every penny. I have one that was just completed a few months ago and it is Amazing. I have owned Gibson f5s,Clark f5s, Webber F5s, and many more and none come close to my Girouard F5. Check them out.

Londy
Jan-27-2012, 9:25am
I know im a little late to this thread,but if you want a great F style mandolin I would look no further than Girouard mandolins. A custom F style mandolin from them is 3k and worth every penny. I have one that was just completed a few months ago and it is Amazing. I have owned Gibson f5s,Clark f5s, Webber F5s, and many more and none come close to my Girouard F5. Check them out.

I would love to hear it. Are you able to send me or upload an MP3? I am looking for a mando that does not sound so tinny and bright. I need a more mellow warm sounding instrument. That is one of the reasons why i was considering an octave due to the mellow sound. But the fretting looks much more difficult. It is very hard to determine the sound of mando I want because there are so few stores around to try them in person....very frustrating.

old time picker
Jan-27-2012, 3:06pm
If you go to Girouard mandolins web site you can listen to many of there builds as well as my Girouard F5 it is under brads F5. It sounds great in the video,but after a few months it has turned into a wonderful beast of a mandolin that I could not ask anything more of.The tone has really opend up and in just a few short months It is taken on a deeper more complex tone that I have been after for years!

Ed Goist
Jan-27-2012, 3:17pm
Same with my Girouard oval hole...It was fantastic when it arrived, and it's only gotten better from there.
Max & Lauri are making exceptional instruments.