PDA

View Full Version : How much for a Suzuki bowl back mandolin?

Deborah Gurd
Jan-21-2012, 2:42pm
It says Model No. 80 inside. Does anyone know how much I could get for this?
It is around 80 to 100 years old. It was my friend's mother's mandolin
and my friend is almost 70 years old.81290 81291 81292 8129381294

Bill Snyder
Jan-21-2012, 5:18pm
It is nowhere near that old. They were not using the little Made In Japan labels 80-100 years ago plus Suzuki was not building these that long ago.

Randi Gormley
Jan-21-2012, 5:23pm
fwiw, mine is a Model 80 as well, but it's probably from the 70s, and it has a bowed neck -- which means it's worth about $5 for parts. but yours looks fancier and is no doubt older (or in better shape), so I wouldn't despair. Maybe one of the brotherhood of the bowl has a better idea of worth? Ah, I see someone else posted as I was typing.

Bill Snyder
Jan-22-2012, 12:45am
For what it is worth here is a link (http://www.elderly.com/items/90U-4040.htm)to photos of one that Elderly had for sale sometime in the past that they said was from the 1980's. Other than the tuning machines and sound hole shape it appears to be just about identical to your friends.

Earl Gamage
Jan-22-2012, 1:56am
I have a Dixon which is very similar but mine has a cracked top. I gave $75 for it. Yours might be worth more but I'd be surprised if it's over a couple hundred. Your buyer would have to be someone interested in it to play.

My Dixon has a very cool natural reverb sound. Fun to play, sometimes.

Tavy
Jan-22-2012, 4:30am
Sadly these make very little, and as others have already said, it's very unlikely to be older than the 1970's. I hear they do make nice enough instruments though.... maybe put it away for another 50 years?

brunello97
Jan-22-2012, 11:15am
I had a Model 80 Suzuki for a short while myself. My hunch is that John is in the ballpark viz the age. I can't recall what I paid for it, but ~$150 seems right (it had a hard shell case as well.) I sold it to a woman outside Paris for ~$200 after hearing (anecdotally) that they are more highly considered there. If you are thinking of selling it you might give ebay.fr a try. Shipping costs were less than one might think if you have experienced UK prices for the same.

My Suzuki had a well crafted look but featured a heavy application of finish, a neck profile that made my Vega feel like a toothpick. And an overall spongey, non responsive sound. It did look good. Others' experience/opinions of them no doubt will vary.

On the west side of the Atlantic, at least, for $150-200 and some careful shopping, one has a fairly wide assortment of US made bowlbacks (which are actually 100-110 years old) that in my experience are far more enjoyable to play and listen to. YMMV. That might keep the price of a Suzuki a bit depressed even amongst the already depressed market for most bowlbacks from that period.

Mick

Jim Garber
Jan-23-2012, 11:14am
If in good shape, maybe $100-150, but they are not in real demand. As Mick noted there are better sounding ones out there. I would also say about 1970s. Too heavily built.

Cary Fagan
Jan-24-2012, 9:53am
I had one--got it as a kid, though I didn't learn to play it till I was 45. Different appointments but otherwise the same. It was in good shape and I sold it for $150 a few years ago. I would think that's the most one would go for. The sound left something to be desired.

Cary Lung and Curtis Bukhannon first learned to play on Suzukis. So they did honorable service.