PDA

View Full Version : Harp Guitar (Gibson) up at Heritage

Charlieshafer
Jan-21-2012, 8:45am
Sure, Heritage doesn't have the perfect reputation for descriptions of stuff it's auctioning, but here's your chance to get a real man-sized Gibson (http://entertainment.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7056&lotIdNo=11010), not some little bitty thing.

MikeEdgerton
Jan-21-2012, 9:36am
Sure, Heritage doesn't have the perfect reputation for descriptions of stuff it's auctioning, but here's your chance to get a real man-sized Gibson (http://entertainment.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7056&lotIdNo=11010), not some little bitty thing.

Charlie that entire post is an exercise in understatement. :cool:

Jim Garber
Jan-21-2012, 10:31am
1920 Gibson Harp Sunburst Acoustic Guitar, Serial # 55510. Very nice and playable. Rare guitar. Tortoise shell tailpiece in very good condition. Very straight neck. Bridge may be newer but of very high quality. No body cracks. Non-original six string tuners. Original finish. Dirty and scratched with normal play wear. Original hard case included. Condition: Very Good. Estimate: $4,400 - up.

Personally I would rather have Dyer harp guitar. Those Gibsons are monsters.

barney 59
Jan-21-2012, 12:53pm
I made a post on another thread about playing a harp guitar and the one I played was a Dyer.

Jason Kessler
Jan-21-2012, 1:03pm
the one I played was a Dyer.

Meaning it was one "to die for?"

barney 59
Jan-21-2012, 2:51pm
Or possibly change your hair color. ---maybe commit Larsony for----

allenhopkins
Jan-21-2012, 6:39pm
If you get a Gibson U-model, get a hand truck to haul it around; even the case is a load.

P.D. Kirby
Jan-21-2012, 10:33pm
Better get that Bowflex dusted off, if you aren't in top form that thing could put you in traction. Any idea what that model weighs? One thing I will say, the parts that don't look like they belong to together taken individually look real nice... :confused:

Joey McKenzie
Jan-22-2012, 8:55pm
I recently bought a 1916 Gibson Style U harp guitar in really fine condition with a clean and solid case, cool original brass harp tuning key, and a wonderful teens era Gibson catalog that most likely came with the instrument. Although it is certainly heavier than Dyer and Knutsen style flat top harp guitars, they really aren't "that" heavy to hold and play. What they are in my opinion is one of the most stunningly beautiful stringed instruments ever made by Gibson, or any other maker. When you hold a Gibson harp guitar in your hands and observe the complex and artistic design, beautiful Gibson finish and workmanship, there is no substitute. Do I want to play it for my main guitar? Heck no! I have no intentions of doing a lot of harp guitar playing besides hopefully figuring out a handful of tunes to play for fun. To me its a bit like owning a Stanley Steamer or a really old Harley, which are beautiful things but you probably wouldn't want to drive them to work everyday (although I do drive a Checker Marathon!). Seems like most dedicated harp guitar players prefer the Dyer/Knutsen type guitars, and they are great, but the Gibson really does it for me!

davidb1
Jan-25-2012, 5:56am
Hi Joey, given that you just purchased your Gibson,what kind of dollars is the instrument up at Heritage worth ..I would appreciate it if others would also chime in.Do these come up for sale with any regularity?

Jim Garber
Jan-25-2012, 8:29am
Style U: 7000-8700 in Exc according to VG Price Guide 2012 FWIW.

Starrshine
Jan-25-2012, 11:16am
Nice blog today by Gregg, the pope of harp guitars, on harp guitar.net
http://harpguitars.net/blog/2012/01/the-gibson-sounding-board/

pfox14
Jan-26-2012, 12:40pm
Well, if that HG goes for anything close to the current bid of $2600, it's a steal

Jim Garber
Jan-26-2012, 12:46pm
Well, if that HG goes for anything close to the current bid of $2600, it's a steal

They have a pretty hefty buyer's premium (25%), so the real price even right now is $3,250.00. I thought more usual for BP even in the upper crust auction houses was 10% and they hit the seller also. I wonder what the seller's premium is.

Charlieshafer
Jan-26-2012, 6:47pm
They have a pretty hefty buyer's premium (25%), so the real price even right now is $3,250.00. I thought more usual for BP even in the upper crust auction houses was 10% and they hit the seller also. I wonder what the seller's premium is.

I didn't even bother looking at the premium.. that's REALLY steep.