PDA

View Full Version : Are Octave Mandolins used for Italian folk music?

NicoSvetza
Jan-17-2012, 4:28am
I hear them associated with celtic music often, but I was wondering if they are used in Italian folk music also, or is the only mandolin used for Italian music the bowl back Mandolin? I am very interested in folk music, especially Italian folk music and I wish to learn more. Thanks!

mrmando
Jan-17-2012, 4:43am
Italians would call it a mandola, or perhaps an octave mandola. It's the ancestor of the mandolin ("mandolino" just means "little mandola"). You'll find it being used in mandolin ensembles and orchestras for certain, along with mandolin-family instruments of several other sizes and tunings. I'm not sure what you mean by "Italian folk music," but whatever it is, I doubt it has any hard and fast rules on instrumentation.

Bertram Henze
Jan-17-2012, 6:31am
Any size available. Take your pick...

Wr9tyGVgFbg

Steve L
Jan-18-2012, 9:03am
They weren't used in "Celtic" music until they were. You could be the Italian Johnny Moynihan! :)

Bertram Henze
Jan-18-2012, 9:21am
They weren't used in "Celtic" music until they were. You could be the Italian Johnny Moynihan! :)

This would be much more of a pioneering work here. Irish music has always been absorbing new instruments, while Italian is more conservative, or so I thought. OTOH, the OM is kind of an Italian child (the mandolin) grown up and returning home :grin: