PDA

View Full Version : Lifting fret on IV mandolin

Paul Busman
Jan-15-2012, 12:11pm
I went to play my IV mandolin today (finished about 6 mo ago) and got an E string buzz at around the 8th fret which had never been there before. Close examination revealed that the 9th fret had lifted at the E string end. I tapped it back down with a pin punch and small hammer and all is now OK.
Question is, why did this happen all of a sudden, and how can I prevent it?

Malcolm G.
Jan-15-2012, 12:41pm
In a word - dryness shrinks a new neck - a winter woe.

sunburst
Jan-15-2012, 1:14pm
It happens for various reasons, usually because the fret slot is too wide or is worn or damaged, or because the fret wire was bent when it was installed. Occasionally, frets that were well prepared and installed in a well prepared 'board that is in good shape will lift, but it usually indicates some problem with the slot or the fret.
If one fret end lifted, it might be a good idea to check all of the frets, and a little superglue remediation might be in order by someone familiar with the procedure and careful with the glue!

multidon
Jan-15-2012, 1:28pm
The procedure for fixing lifting or loose frets with superglue is covered here:

http://www.stewmac.com/tsarchive/ts0074.html

Paul Busman
Jan-15-2012, 6:17pm
The procedure for fixing lifting or loose frets with superglue is covered here:

http://www.stewmac.com/tsarchive/ts0074.html

Darn it! I misplaced my plexiglas :crying:
I was thinking of a drop of CA at the end of the fret. The dry excess should scrape off easily from the plastic binding.

multidon
Jan-15-2012, 7:44pm
The plexiglass and clamp is actually overkill. I had to do that to a couple of frets on a kit build and I followed the procedure pretty much except instead of clamping I just held the fret end down real hard with a wooden dowel for a couple of minutes. Even though the super glue says it dries in 10 seconds don't believe it! When it's down deep like that it takes that minute or two to be safe. I do believe in using the Turtle Wax on the fingerboard though. Press the fret down dry first, then while it's still down smear the wax around with a q tip. Pressing the fret down prevents the wax from getting down in the slot. Good luck!

Rob Grant
Jan-15-2012, 9:27pm
FWIW: I wick thin CA into the end of the fret slot with a thin, pointed satay stick or syringe after I install the frets, but before I trim, bevel the ends and do the final sanding of the neck. I lay the instrument on its side while I do this. There is usually a tiny bit of a gap under the fret that will allow entry of the glue. I run the CA in until it seeps out the other side and totally fills the void. I've never had a fret lift after this procedure. It's also a way to fill and tidy up the small gap or hole that one often has between the bottom of the fret and the slot.

I know some people get their nickers in a knot over using CA on frets, but what the hell the bond will break with heat. I always make a habit of heating frets before I pull them, it seems to make the job a lot easier with less chance of "tear-out."

Paul Busman
Jan-16-2012, 4:39pm
Rob-- that's pretty much what I was planning on doing. I use CA a lot in my whistle making, so I can handle it pretty well.