PDA

View Full Version : Changed strings, raised action

KennyE
Jan-15-2012, 11:51am
This is sort of a follow up to my thread about Will it Get Louder? In that thread I was on the cusp of trashing the tone, volume, etc. of my Eastman MD615 FF. Just to qualify that - I know exactly what my mandolin is: a decent import from a mass manufacturer. Albeit a better shop with real luthiers. Anyway .....

I noticed a slight buzz on the G course at the 12th fret. Not that I'd ever be playing on that course that high. But it bugged me. I also noticed some tarnish on the strings, thought it might be time to change. I just happened to have a set of D'Addario J67s. Not sure why, but I did. So I tossed those bad boys on there. While I had the strings loosened I raised the bridge slightly. Nothing scientific about it, just about 1/4 turn of the thumbwheel per side. Restrung and ... hmmm, it sounded different. Less brittle on the high end; not a great deal difference on the G course. But overall it had a more rounded, warmer tone.

Not sure if that's the strings or the slight raise in the bridge. But I got more than one comment on how nice the mandolin sounded last night. Even with the transducers. :whistling: So, what's the big difference between the J67s and the J74s (which came on it)? I have a set of J73s, but I think they may be too light. Not sure.

Bill Snyder
Jan-15-2012, 1:36pm
The J67's are nickel and the J74's are phospor/bronze. The J74's are also a bit heavier.

mandroid
Jan-15-2012, 3:38pm
did you get the dealer to do a proper setup ?

Rather than Brand and stock number I prefer measurements..
Like the E is, say, an 0.011" heavier is 0.0115" then an 0.012"

Rather than just sticking with 1 brand ala saying .. J-73>74>75>
particularly with plain music wire .. brand is secondary.

MikeEdgerton
Jan-15-2012, 4:32pm
Next time throw a set of J75's on it.

KennyE
Jan-15-2012, 4:36pm
did you get the dealer to do a proper setup ?

Rather than Brand and stock number I prefer measurements..
Like the E is, say, an 0.011" heavier is 0.0115" then an 0.012"

Rather than just sticking with 1 brand ala saying .. J-73>74>75>
particularly with plain music wire .. brand is secondary.

First string change, so brand wasn't really that important. Oh hand was, tho'. :-) And yes, bought it from one of the Forum Member Dealers. And he did a set up on it before shipping. Not sure what's up with that fret tho'. Winter, most likely.

Next time throw a set of J75's on it. Okay, may give those a try. Why?

Rodney Riley
Jan-15-2012, 5:07pm
J75"s are larger diameter, heavier bronze strings than the J74's. J74 sizes are .011-.040, J75 sizes are .0115- .041. So you have more mass in the strings to move the top plate.

MikeEdgerton
Jan-15-2012, 5:22pm
I would be shocked if the J75's didn't give you more of what you're looking for.

KennyE
Jan-15-2012, 5:37pm
Okie Doke. Set ordered. They'll go on next string change.

mandobassman
Jan-15-2012, 6:15pm
Not sure what's up with that fret tho'. Winter, most likely.

Don't make that comment too lightly. Dry Winter air can cause severe damage if not humidified properly. Get yourself a good ultrasonic room humidifier and keep the mando in that room when not using it. It could very well be the reason for your string buzz.

KennyE
Jan-16-2012, 4:52pm
Don't make that comment too lightly. Dry Winter air can cause severe damage if not humidified properly. Get yourself a good ultrasonic room humidifier and keep the mando in that room when not using it. It could very well be the reason for your string buzz.Got a humidifier going in the room right now. And a case humidifier on it's way. Got a case hum for the gig in Jackson Hole in Feb. All that snow and no moisture in the air. :confused:

Paul Kotapish
Jan-17-2012, 3:17pm
A simple, cheap Dampit instrument humidifier will often solve a bunch of wintertime action/buzz problems.

http://www.dampits.com/