PDA

View Full Version : Question on setup procedures.

Wirraway
Jan-13-2012, 3:55pm
Hi all, I'm new to the world of mandolins but not new to music (clarinet).

I'll be buying a Kentucky 150 from one of the forum sponsors. The question is on setups. Is the setup done by retailers about the same or does one retailer have a reputation for doing a better job?

Thanks.

Dave Weiss
Jan-13-2012, 4:06pm
If you buy it from Folkmusician.com it will be as good as it can get. Not that others don't do a good job, but Robert seems to do just a little more. It may cost a little more, but you can be confident that it will be playable when you get it.

Wirraway
Jan-13-2012, 4:22pm
If you buy it from Folkmusician.com it will be as good as it can get. Not that others don't do a good job, but Robert seems to do just a little more. It may cost a little more, but you can be confident that it will be playable when you get it.

Thanks, Dave.

That's what I was thinking. Folkmuscian has a detailed explanation of their procedures.

Tim2723
Jan-14-2012, 1:51pm
Agreed. All the Cafe's sponsors are highly respected and reputable dealers, but Folkmusician.com has an outstanding reputation for thorough set ups.

pfox14
Jan-16-2012, 9:55am
Nice to know that some dealers take the time to make an instrument in set up properly.

Tim2723
Jan-16-2012, 11:00am
Let me also mention that I just recently bought a new Gold Tone banjolele from Janet Davis, another Cafe sponsor. The set up on this was quite well done. Unfortunately with that type instrument, most of the set up was undone for shipping safety. The head was loosened and the bridge laid down flat, so I had to re-tension the head and adjust the bridge position for intonation. Much of their effort was essentially lost, of course, but that's just the nature of a banjolele. The 'permanent' parts of the set up were done very well though. The neck angle was perfect and the nut and bridge slotting were first class. Those are the hard parts anyway.

So that's another of our sponsors who takes the time to set up.