PDA

View Full Version : Just a question?

G7MOF
Jan-13-2012, 4:31am
Probably this should be directed to the Admin's but, Why on MC can't the original posters of a thread, or the posters of a reply to one, delete the posting.
I've been on 100's of sites, and on all there has been the facility to do so, I even run a web site and this can be done on our site?

P.D. Kirby
Jan-13-2012, 5:25am
Anything you say can and will be used against you at anytime in the future on the Cafe..

I really don't know why, can't say I ever tried to either. Did you say something in a drunken stupor that you want to retract after reading it the next morning? One things for sure if you run afoul of the rules the Mods will happily delete it for you without asking. I suspect you will have your answer as soon as the sun comes up in Kansas. I'm on the east coast and it's still dark here. Good Morning Sir...

rgray
Jan-13-2012, 7:28am
I know you can edit a post for about an hour after first posting it to include deleting everything you said, but probably having to leave something as the forum probably won't allow completely empty posts. That is one way to clear out something you want to retract. I remember reading something about complete post/thread deletions possibly causing a ripple effect throughout the forum (space-time continuum disruption?). Even the moderators rarely (if ever) delete an entire thread no matter how bad. They edit individual posts to take out objectionable material and/or lock the thread.

Bill Snyder
Jan-13-2012, 9:49am
On the old software we could delete posts. I think the new software (new since 2008) allows it if the site owner turns it on, but you would end up with threads that did not make much sense when someone would get put out and go through and delete every post they had ever made. It is for continuity.
Like mentioned above you can edit (I think it is for 3 hours).
If you REALLY need to have your post deleted contact one of the moderators and ask them to do it. They might oblige you.

JEStanek
Jan-13-2012, 10:05am
This site is remarkably well self policed (i.e., us moderators rarely have to be involved). Between clear posting guidelines and knowing that once posted, in general, there it stays, keeps things amicable (if heated) without boiling over. Previously, we had instances where an incindiary post was placed, and reacted to then removed and the thread lost a great deal of context when responders bloviating to troll bait (that was subsequently removed by the troll) ended up looking extra bad.

I know, before I was a moderator, I learned to read, compose and answer, read through it, and then decide if I should hit the post reply button. Sadly with as often as I post (given my mando skills), I would say 20% of the time I'll write something out as a response and not post it. I've gotten my dander up, gotten it off my chest by writing it down, and then left it behind me.

You do have that period of time to edit your post but I believe Scott has wisely removed the delete post option from this forum. Even as moderators we very rarely delete a post. We have cause to shut threads down from time to time but rarely need to delete a post. When you consider how disparate we are as a group of players in politics and beliefs, this is still more like a friendly Cafe than a heated debate. I like it that way and feel I've learned much more from it.

Jamie

G7MOF
Jan-13-2012, 10:45am
Thankyou, All the above have explained the answer as I wanted.
Please do not post any more replies, I've got what I needed, (Thanks).

Dan Hulse
Jan-13-2012, 10:47am
Just like in real life, you can never really take anything back. That is why we have apologies.

allenhopkins
Jan-13-2012, 12:05pm
...Please do not post any more replies, I've got what I needed..

OK, I won't.

Kip Carter
Jan-13-2012, 12:07pm
Me neither... done!
Kip...

Marty Henrickson
Jan-13-2012, 12:09pm
Thankyou, All the above have explained the answer as I wanted.
Please do not post any more replies, I've got what I needed, (Thanks).
What if I post a reply, then immediately delete it? Oh, wait, nevermind....................:P

MikeEdgerton
Jan-13-2012, 2:04pm
A few years back you could delete your own post or edit it at any time. Some folks abused the privilege and Scott started the system you see now.

P.D. Kirby
Jan-13-2012, 3:18pm
I know you can edit a post for about an hour after first posting it to include deleting everything you said, but probably having to leave something as the forum probably won't allow completely empty posts. That is one way to clear out something you want to retract. I remember reading something about complete post/thread deletions possibly causing a ripple effect throughout the forum (space-time continuum disruption?). Even the moderators rarely (if ever) delete an entire thread no matter how bad. They edit individual posts to take out objectionable material and/or lock the thread.

I guess we have to go with what JE says but I like your answer better... :))

I didn't post anymore answers so don't look at me... :whistling:

MikeEdgerton
Jan-13-2012, 3:25pm
Actually the reason was simple. Some people had a habit of posting things, deleting them and acting like they hadn't posted. It's that simple really.

Ted Eschliman
Jan-13-2012, 3:33pm
As requested by the original poster, we're shutting this down from further replies. To reinforce what my fellow Moderators have already posted: 1.) we had a pattern of individuals "rewriting history" when the edit functions was available years ago, and 2.) we expect our members to think BEFORE typing a post, not after.

There remains a limited time safety valve for self-edits, but as in normal conversations, once you say something, it's out there forever. It folds folks accountable for what they chose to type here. Not a bad thing.