PDA

View Full Version : Very odd article indeed! Something lost in translation????

Dagger Gordon
Jan-12-2012, 7:49am
Recently my son Colin and I got a nice write-up in our local paper The Ross-shire Journal about our new CD 'Like father/Like son'.
You can read the original text of the article here.

http://www.ross-shirejournal.co.uk/Home/Dagger-and-son-are-in-tune-with-tradition-7495021.htm

I have just come upon this curious 'translation' of the article here. I'm not sure why it should have been 'translated' in the first place, but it's pretty funny. All a bit strange though, I must say.

Dagger

http://www.guitarultimate.info/guitar-pictures/dagger-and-son-are-in-tune-with-tradition-ross

Paul Edwards
Jan-12-2012, 8:35am
The original article is very nice and it really makes me happy to hear about a father and son playing together.. let alone making a cd.. but the other article.. "Be lustful of father, be lustful of son!?" It definitely took something really nice and meaningful and turned it into something.. kind of odd.. what can you do but laugh? :)

Paul Edwards
Jan-12-2012, 8:40am
there are definitely classic statements like:

"wе рƖасе ουr boots аt thе behind door"

and

"Anԁ now hе′s over another lingering-intended plan"

...just gotta laugh

Oliver R
Jan-12-2012, 8:42am
???? 'Baby Book???

What in gods name has it been translated into then back from!

M.Marmot
Jan-12-2012, 9:19am
It seems that the spirit of Lewis Carroll is alive and well and writing Jabberwocky reviews of traditional albums.

For the sheer twisted use of language that review is surely up there with Carroll's classic:

http://www.jabberwocky.com/carroll/jabber/jabberwocky.html

Marc Berman
Jan-12-2012, 9:54am
I get a kick out of US news programs displaying sub-titles when a Scot is interviewed :)). Of course my Scottish wife doesn't think it's funny :mad:.

ColdBeerGoCubs
Jan-12-2012, 10:48am
It looks like the original was run through google translator into hindi, then japanese, then translated back.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to enjoy an adulterated tea cup while surrounded by my boots.

KennyE
Jan-12-2012, 11:49am
Too new here to know Dagger, but I really liked this: "Bυt mandolin-player David “Dagger” Gordon аƖѕο valid hе Ɩіkеѕ tο champion аƖƖ things Raised belligerent". Since I am rather belligerent, I think it means we'd get along fantastically. ;)

That site looks to be an SEO farm. Tons of keywords, links, etc to garner ranking in the natural search engines. Correctly posted content is not nearly as important as posted content. Still, it made for an interesting read. Funny how the mind had to translate the English translation back into something that could be comprehended in English.

Geordie
Jan-12-2012, 11:53am
Congrats on the publication of your new baby book!!

Pete Summers
Jan-12-2012, 12:40pm
Help! :)):)):)):))

Randi Gormley
Jan-12-2012, 1:13pm
Must be my own bent, but so many of those "translations" seemed to be geared to the sex trade: "be lustful of" instead of "like," "set adult the photos" and "place our boots at the behind door" just kind of jumped out at me. Made me wonder what the filter was that made those specific suggestions. Curious.

Fretless
Jan-12-2012, 2:11pm
Huh? I apprehend prohibition your validity: the manifesto absolved into my brain vacuous plight. Perhaps you are tremble behind the anarchy of adult web ambassador. At least you compliance of advertisements, always a good contrivance.

BTW, I love listening to The Lasses....

Fretless

Pete Counter
Jan-12-2012, 2:26pm
"Colin brings a bell-bе lustful οf underline tο wіth thе goal οf refrain. Anԁ thеrе′s ѕοmе really artistic guitar personification οn thе baby book – іt’s nοt οnƖу bashing away!”..........

What? Is there something wrong with that?

KarlM
Jan-14-2012, 2:55pm
guitarultimate.info is registered in Indonesia. I've seen several articles like this that were apparently translated into Indonesian (or possibly through something else) and then back into English, with odd results.

KarlM
Jan-14-2012, 2:58pm
I get a kick out of US news programs displaying sub-titles when a Scot is interviewed :)). Of course my Scottish wife doesn't think it's funny :mad:.
I lived in Ireland for a year, and during a taxi ride a co-worker of mine was chatting with the driver in a completely incomprehensible language, which I assumed was Gaelic. After about 10 minutes, I realized that I could recognize about every hundredth word, and they were actually speaking English...

EdHanrahan
Jan-14-2012, 3:25pm
... apparently translated into Indonesian (or possibly through something else) and then back into English...
It reads like an early '70s Toyota or Datsun (Nissan) owners manual. Insightful stuff like: "Push lock baton away from sky to aid in theft."

John Kelly
Jan-14-2012, 3:36pm
Dagger, Thanks for sharing that and congratulations on the new "baby book"! I just loved the "adult" replacing "about" in several places, which created some great images; quote: "we transposed thеm wіth severely nicer ones mаԁе adult here!”
My favourite must surely be: "tο play wіth ѕοmе musicians whο hаԁ desirous thеm – promote bе lustful οf Julie Fowlis аnԁ Donald Shaw". I can't really imagine myself becoming lustful of Donald Shaw, brilliant musician though he is, and I refuse to comment on Julie! Still, the article must have given you some fun and I hope it generates some more income for you both, especially as: "уου′re vital οn a till".

Charlieshafer
Jan-14-2012, 4:41pm
I've always been wary of lustful belligerent Scots, but maybe that's just me. I looked all over their site and the copy's all like that. Reminds me of the old Toyota owner's manuals from the 70's. I think ColdBeer is right when he says it's been through a few auto-translators...

Ivan Kelsall
Jan-15-2012, 4:05am
It reminds me of some of the labels on Japanese Hi-Fi equipment that i've owned in the (distant) past. 1) Transit screws holding a record player's suspension down - "when in use,take off them". 2) A now illegal in the UK, 2-pin power outlet on the back of an amplifier - "Fatally important" - i guess they got that one right. I found the 'translation' very amusing indeed, something i'd definitely get a copy of & have framed - it would keep me laughing for years to come,:))
I'd mail a copy of it out with every CD sold,
Ivan;)

Ray(T)
Jan-15-2012, 4:57am
http://www.engrish.com/category/instructions/ - enjoy

Gerry Hastie
Jan-15-2012, 8:45am
As we approach Burns night in Scotland I am reminded of a translation whereby Burns' line from his poem dedicated to the unique culinary experience that is the Haggis, 'Chieftain o the puddin race' was recycled to English from a German translation of the Scots to 'King of the Sausage People'!