PDA

View Full Version : Selling on Mando cafe

KitLarson
Jan-09-2012, 5:36pm
Hi I listed my mandolin last year on the mandolin cafe,I took it off because i had an offer 60 miles away and the person interested wanted me to take a cheque the deal never did happen,what I wanted to know was how does everyone else do their dealins paypal? thanks dc:mandosmiley:

P.D. Kirby
Jan-09-2012, 6:34pm
U S Postal Money Orders or Cash, Postal Money Orders are very hard to counterfeit and it's a Federal Offense which keeps most from even considering it. Anyway you slice it anything other than a face to face cash deal has inherent risks and requires a certain amount of faith. Always cash the money order before you ship the instrument, do it at the post office that way you can ship the Mandolin while you are there. Paypal will protect the buyer not the seller and all he/ she has to do is say they didn't receive the Mandolin or it was not received in the condition advertised and Paypal will give the buyer their money back and you might get the instrument back. JMHO stay clear of checks, paypal, and anything other than USPS money orders. Most sellers have stopped using paypal for the reasons stated, they protect the buyer first... Good Luck

greg_tsam
Jan-09-2012, 6:44pm
Really? USPS money orders are the safest way without the fees? Good to know.

JEStanek
Jan-09-2012, 7:08pm
All of my experiences with pay pal have been fine. If the instrument is worth more than $1000, I'll typically add 3% for paypal fees to the bill.

Jamie

KitLarson
Jan-09-2012, 7:09pm
U S Postal Money Orders or Cash, Postal Money Orders are very hard to counterfeit and it's a Federal Offense which keeps most from even considering it. Anyway you slice it anything other than a face to face cash deal has inherent risks and requires a certain amount of faith. Always cash the money order before you ship the instrument, do it at the post office that way you can ship the Mandolin while you are there. Paypal will protect the buyer not the seller and all he/ she has to do is say they didn't receive the Mandolin or it was not received in the condition advertised and Paypal will give the buyer their money back and you might get the instrument back. JMHO stay clear of checks, paypal, and anything other than USPS money orders. Most sellers have stopped using paypal for the reasons stated, they protect the buyer first... Good Luck

Thanks Mr Kirby,good advice paypal is also expensive this should solve the problem.dc

P.D. Kirby
Jan-09-2012, 7:13pm
USPS money orders are cheap too, last one I got cost $1.60 for $500.00 that was two weeks ago. Since Paypal changed their rules/Business practices I refuse to use them, and then there's that pesky 3% fee...

As far as safe, it's hard to get ripped off if you don't ship the merchandise until you cash it (do it at the Post Office) a bank can come back at any time and take the money out of your account should the buyer put a stop on it or it is just bad paper and doesn't clear. YMMV

PatCampbell
Jan-09-2012, 7:24pm
From the Craigslist page warning of scams:

"FAKE CASHIER CHECKS & MONEY ORDERS ARE COMMON, and BANKS WILL CASH THEM AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE when the fake is discovered weeks later."

greg_tsam
Jan-09-2012, 7:59pm
BTW, Amazon will allow you to do this and they charge NO FEES. Both parties need an amazon account but I think that's it. Anyone used this method?

https://payments.amazon.com/sdui/sdui/personal/webpay/faq

MikeEdgerton
Jan-09-2012, 8:06pm
From the Craigslist page warning of scams:

"FAKE CASHIER CHECKS & MONEY ORDERS ARE COMMON, and BANKS WILL CASH THEM AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE when the fake is discovered weeks later."

Yes indeed, and fake US Postal Money orders are not unheard of either. I would go with US Postal Money Orders though. Take it to the Post Office to cash it. They of all people should be able to tell you if it's real. Whatever you do, don't ship until you have real money in your hand.

JLeather
Jan-10-2012, 4:10pm
According to paypal's policies you are not supposed to accept paypal for items that are being picked up in person (except deposits for cars and such). You will have no proof that the item was shipped, and if they attempt a charge-back on the transaction paypal will side with them.

If a person is coming to my house to pick something up in person there is no reason they can't bring cash. I wouldn't accept anything else in person. Through the mail it's USPS money orders (no off brands) or paypal because if I ship it I can provide the documentation Paypal needs as proof that it was shipped and received.

Eddie Sheehy
Jan-10-2012, 4:21pm
I accept personal checks - in advance and I ship when they clear. If someone was picking something up they should bring cash... I'm always willing to work something out.

JeffD
Jan-10-2012, 4:28pm
A conversation with the buyer on the phone would really help. If you get any kind of funny feeling, a postal money order is not good enough.

Mo Soar
Jan-10-2012, 5:14pm
We ship custom bass pickups all over the world and we use PayPal. We've taken a few checks from US customers, but we wait for them to clear (although that's actually a misleading term, because the bank - OUR bank, anyway - will show a check as cleared when it actually hasn't) before shipping. Generally, though, we're dealing with orders below the $500 mark.

It's true that PayPal charges a hefty fee (2.9% US and 3.9% international plus an exchange fee). We've only had to do a return once (the customer decided he wanted a different model) and that was a bit of a pain, figuring out how much of the fee would be rebated/refunded.

Goodin
Jan-11-2012, 8:48am
We've only had to do a return once (the customer decided he wanted a different model) and that was a bit of a pain, figuring out how much of the fee would be rebated/refunded.

You can issue a refund through Paypal and Paypal will refund fees back to you.

P.D. Kirby
Jan-11-2012, 11:52am
A conversation with the buyer on the phone would really help. If you get any kind of funny feeling, a postal money order is not good enough.

Hey Jeff, I believe the OP is asking from a sellers perspective, I agree that when buying always call first and if they come off like Slim Shady then continue your search..

But a USPS Money order cashed at the post office for ca$h before you ship is fool proof. If the money order is a fake what are they going to do to you call and ask for the cash back? Sure thing I'll be right over..lol

greg_tsam
Jan-11-2012, 1:02pm
So no one can chime in with experience using Amazon Pay?

mjb128wv
Jan-11-2012, 1:46pm
Amazon Pay looks pretty good - there is also "Google Checkout" which seems to be about the same - no fees for either.

P.D. Kirby
Jan-11-2012, 4:30pm
So no one can chime in with experience using Amazon Pay?

Chime away but I had such bad experiences with Paypal not to mention their fees I'm sticking to the paper stuff I can hold in my hand. Preferably with pictures of dead Presidents on them. I especially like these...

jschall84
Jan-11-2012, 5:20pm
I recently had a great transaction with a forum member. We met up in person and did an exchange. The key was communication. We had probably 20 emails and 6 phone calls between us before we met up. We also agreed on a public place (a busy gas station off the highway) at a central location (a major city almost directly between us). I wouldn't have done this if the deal seemed at all fishy. We talked a bit and I researched him before I ever even considered it. It also helps to bring a friend.

Eddie Sheehy
Jan-11-2012, 5:24pm
Hmmmm, Bill Clinton is on my $10,000 bill...

mrmando
Jan-11-2012, 5:33pm
Preferably with pictures of dead Presidents on them. I especially like these...
Ah, but Salmon P. Chase was never President.

I had a bill like that, but Wal-Mart wouldn't take it!

Bill Snyder
Jan-11-2012, 8:42pm
They would not take this man's (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/01/michael-fuller-1-million-bill-walmart_n_1178855.html)1 million dollar bill either. :)

P.D. Kirby
Jan-11-2012, 9:42pm
Ah, but Salmon P. Chase was never President.

I had a bill like that, but Wal-Mart wouldn't take it!

Gimme a stack of those and I'll swear he was, two terms...

John McCoy
Jan-11-2012, 10:13pm
They would not take this man's (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/01/michael-fuller-1-million-bill-walmart_n_1178855.html)1 million dollar bill either. :)

One Million Dollar Bill?

WalMart?

I sense cognitive dissonance.

== John ==

John Uhrig
Jan-17-2012, 6:43pm
Just sold one of my mandolins on the cafe classifieds this week. I like using USPS money orders, hard to fake and you do get the money in hand before you ship. and it always helps to talk to the buyer before hand.
Oh btw, Thanks to everyone who responded to my add!
Now, what to do with the money that's burning a hole in my pocket.......?

Bill Clements
Jan-20-2012, 10:44am
Thanks fellas!

I have an Eastman MD 815 I want to put on the classifieds here and have been agonizing about how to go about arranging payment from a buyer. I looked into the PayPal option because I already use it for payment of Internet purchases-but the money comes off my credit card and I was leary about providing my bank account or SS info. And then there are those fees. :mad:
The USPS money order looks terrific, and according to my research you can get one for up to 10K.

Group hug!

Bill