PDA

View Full Version : Posting Help

ab4usa
Dec-06-2004, 6:11pm
How can I make the picture file size smaller? Anyone have any help?

onlyagibsonisgoodenuff
Dec-06-2004, 6:31pm
If you're using Windows or Windows XP, do a Google search for "Powertoy for Windows". This will show you the appropriate web site to access. Then, I believe, on the right side of the web page you'll find an image resizer. You download it, and after you've done that, all you need to do is right-click on your picture and choose "resize image" and there you go. Most of the time, the "small" setting works, but to upload a picture to the classifieds you'll need to select "WinCE" sizing. Good luck.

Stillpicking
Dec-06-2004, 6:53pm
I assume that you have a digital camera or maybe a scanner both of which usually comes with software on the install CD. On that CD there should be some kind of application that will compress your digital images.
Just about any current scanner of digital camera will have a low resolution setting for the web so you may want to take a look at the manual that came with it. Photoshop has what is called Image Ready which is a great tool for resizing images for the web. I use it all the time for my artwork. I believe Photoshop Lite which is the home version has something similar for converting images. If you have a Mac iphoto I believe also does size/file reductions for web images.

Keith Newell
Dec-06-2004, 7:15pm
Microsoft Paint. You should already have it on your computer if you are using MS.
Keith

ab4usa
Dec-06-2004, 7:39pm
Thanks I hope I've got it

sunburst
Dec-06-2004, 8:39pm
One of the cool things in my new photoshop (7.0) is a button under "file" that says "save for web". Does all the work for me. Easy to get spoiled and lazy!
I don't know when that got there, my last photoshop was 5.1. If you have photoshop, click "file" and take a look.

PaulD
Dec-06-2004, 10:23pm
Alan,

You don't say, so I'm assuming you're running Windows 2000 or Windows XP. On this machine I'm running Win2K, but IIRC the XP Image Viewer is a little more sophisticated and easier to use than the one in Win2K. I also use Photoshop, but it's not cheap and many folks won't have it. Here's how you can do it with the Win2K Image Viewer. Using these steps I was able to take one of my F9 photos and shrink it from 102KB (too big to post) to 62KB. I then played around with the resolution and compression settings to create 29KB and 14KB versions.

Go to Start... Programs... Accessories... Imaging. This will start a program called Imaging For Windows.
Use File... Open to open your picture.
On the Page menu open the Properties option.
On the Page Properties dialog box you will have 4 tabs that you can use to "shrink" your picture.
The Color tab will give you the option to save as Grayscale if the image will still be clear in black and white. For my test I left the image in color.
The Compression tab will allow you to change the JPEG resolution and quality. For the first test I changed from High to Medium.
The Resolution tab sets how many dots per inch (dpi) are displayed. 300x300 is usually sufficient for the Web, but I did one test at 200x200.
The Size relates to how large it prints, and I was having trouble with cropping the picture if I played with that without changing the resolution. I think you can get by with just changing the Resolution.

I'm not very familiar with this tool... if you play around with it you can probably find the optimal combination of size and compression to post clear pictures. This post contains the the 62KB image.

I know this post is long and probably greater detail than most people need, but I hope it works for you.

Paul Doubek

PaulD
Dec-06-2004, 10:25pm
Here is the 29K image.

pd

Bill Snyder
Dec-06-2004, 11:01pm
Remember after you resize to save the photo with a different name or in a different folder if you still want the high res image.

PaulD
Dec-07-2004, 1:25pm
That's a good point... you can always try again unless you overwrite your original! I also probably need to experiment with the Size tab in the Win2K Imaging app. I suspect the reason for all the white space on my example posts is due to the print size being out of sync with the resolution. I don't get that with Photoshop. It's pretty annoying to have to scroll past... sorry! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

pd

sunburst
Dec-07-2004, 2:53pm
Remember after you resize to save the photo with a different name or in a different folder if you still want the high res image.
Lest I forget, I always duplicate an image first thing, put away the original and do my experiments or whatever on the copy.