PDA

View Full Version : The Mandolin Cafe Pick Tour

Pages : [1] 2

mandopete
Jul-26-2003, 8:22pm
Okay Sportsfans, here it is, The Mandolin Café Pick Tour!

Yes, it’s real summer fun coming your way with the Mandolin Café Pick Tour. Here’s your chance to test a number of picks in the safety and convenience of your own home. These picks were collected as part of the “Picks For Pete” thread and special thanks go out to Mandodude for kicking this off. Here’s how it works:

Send me an email with your mailing address and I will compile a list of all of the pick tour participants. Once I have the list together, I will send the tour on its way to the first participant who can pick away to his or her heart’s content. Once that person has had their fill, they will be responsible for sending the picks to next participant on the list. That means that you will be responsible for the packaging and postage to send the picks along. For the purposes of the first leg of this tour we may need to limit this to the United States, but I would like to open it up to other countries, I’m just not sure how to do that yet. All I ask is that you keep the picks in order and don’t keep them for yourself – let’s spread the love!

Now you may be asking yourself, “how can I add to all this fun and merriment?”, and well you may ask. Please feel free to add picks to the tour. Please don’t add picks we already have, but if there’s one we’re missing, add it to the collection. It might be nice to see how many “regional” picks we can get. You can usually find these at your favorite music store. All you have to do is fill out the white card on the “pick-pocket” and slide it in, baby!

Now I’ve tried to think of the best way to package this so we can tell what the picks are and keep the whole mess together. What we have is individual “pick-pockets” with a label for each. It’s my hope that this will help you identify a pick if you happen to like it. I don’t know how well the packaging will hold up and you may have to replace that as we go.

Sound like fun? Heck it beats watchin’ re-runs of West Wing, don’t it? I’ve even added a few surprises for good measure, so let’s get this here tour fired up. You can send your mailing address to me at:

petekbcs@hotmail.com

OdnamNool
Jul-26-2003, 10:49pm
Hey Pete! Any chance you can wait for mine? I just put it in the mail today. (Sorry for the delay.) I suppose it should get to you by Wednesday or Thursday.

mandopete
Jul-26-2003, 11:34pm
Well sure, we don't want to leave anyone behind!

OdnamNool
Jul-27-2003, 3:16am
Thanks, Mandopete.

8ch(pl)
Jul-27-2003, 4:04am
Mandopete good buddy,

Another reason to limit the deal to the US is one you probably may not have thought of. It is probably illegal to bring both tortoise shell and elephant ivory into Canada. There is a law here against importing products from threatened and endangered species. Typical Canadian thought would not consider if the tortoise shell was from an old comb or if the ivory was from an animal that was 100 years dead.

An Armadillo shell charango from peru would not be allowed in, the thought being that it would encourage indigent South Americans to kill armadillos just for the shell.

part of the ongoing government process.

OdnamNool
Jul-27-2003, 4:47am
Oh, please....

Bret
Jul-27-2003, 9:49am
Pete...
Very cool idea!

fishdawg40
Jul-27-2003, 11:17am
Very cool idea Pete.
You're spreading the love back to your humble followers.

Arto
Jul-27-2003, 12:57pm
This sonds a really beautiful idea - maybe this can be enlarged outside US in the future.
Just curious: Who has made the long Silvio Raineri -style classical pick on the right on the lowest line? What is it made of and could someboby describe experiences? Looks very interesting.

thanks, Arto

mandomick
Jul-27-2003, 8:05pm
Sounds good, I'd be into checkin' out some of the oddball stuff.

mort
Jul-27-2003, 9:54pm
My pickin buddy saw a BIG dead sea turtle out on an island the other day. he said he thought about cutting some shell loose. But didn't because of the stink and because of the stink the law would raise. ...boy too bad all that shell going to waste out there.

mandopete
Jul-27-2003, 10:09pm
Who has made the long Silvio Raineri -style classical pick on the right on the lowest line? What is it made of and could someboby describe experiences? Looks very interesting.
Arto,

This pick was mad by Dvatchka (here on the board) and the pick was made from piano-key ivory. #You can see a better picture and review in the "Picks For Pete" thread.

Nik-chick
Jul-28-2003, 1:48am
How long do we have until you plan on starting this? My address will be changing in a few weeks as happens to dorm residents when they move to or from school. So what's the deadline as I won't even have my address until I move in (I'll have my dorm room number, but not my mailing address)

Also, I'm sending atleast one pick to the "Picks for Pete" thing, but I'm holding off TRYING to get another that's been rather hard to aquire.

Nikki

mandopete
Jul-28-2003, 9:04am
For the "first leg" of the tour the cut-off date to send your information to me will be Friday, August 1st. #I already have 15 tour stops booked and I want to get the show on the road.

But don't despair, I would be more than happy to start a second-leg for anyone who missed it the first time around. #Just send me your information when you have it.

Thanks,

mandopete

bratsche
Jul-28-2003, 2:44pm
Hi Pete,

My pick is in the mail now, too. Hope it will arrive before Friday. (I should think it'd get there in time with no problem, except for the rather disheartening fact that I just received something today from Brooklyn with a July 7 postmark, that I had given up for lost!)

I'd wanted to create a pick for this event all along, but have been very busy. And, of course, it couldn't just be an ordinary pick. It had to be just that right combination of "mando-friendliness", once I figured out what the heck that meant (to the likes of you, that is!), good-looking as well as functional, and of course, witty without being coarse! It sometimes takes us "artists" a bit of waiting to get just the right, ummm, inspiration, but I think I was zapped by the muse just in the nick of time. Let me know when you receive it!

bratsche http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

mandopete
Jul-28-2003, 4:48pm
Bratsche,

Hopefully it will make it here before the tour bus leaves http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

You might also notice that we have one of your picks (sent in by Jan Jan) included already. #It's the teardrop shape, 2nd in on the 3rd row.

Django Fret
Jul-28-2003, 6:17pm
MandoPete, I don't know if you got my pick yet, but it was mailed last week. You may not want to include that one, but it is up to you.

OdnamNool
Jul-29-2003, 2:36am
Hey mandopete, I just sent you my address using that "email me here" function. It all kinda went "poof". Did you get my email? If not, you'll see my return address on the envelope of the pick that I sent ya. Thanks. Od

fishdawg40
Jul-29-2003, 1:39pm
Hey Mandopete, how long are we allowed to hold onto the picks? I think two or three days is sufficient.

mandopete
Jul-29-2003, 2:45pm
MandoPete, #I don't know if you got my pick yet, but it was mailed last week. #You may not want to include that one, but it is up to you.
You mean this little jewel? #I love it! #How did you get the lettering on there? #Might be nice for others to "personalize" their picks too!

mandopete
Jul-29-2003, 2:46pm
Hey mandopete, I just sent you my address using that "email me here" function. #It all kinda went "poof". #Did you get my email? #If not, you'll see my return address on the envelope of the pick that I sent ya. #Thanks. #Od
Yep, got it, you're on the list.

mandopete
Jul-29-2003, 2:48pm
Hey Mandopete, how long are we allowed to hold onto the picks? #I think two or three days is sufficient.
So far I have 24 people signed up for the tour. I think 2-3 days is probably suffcient to check out the picks. Keep in mind that shipping may take a day or two, I don't want to drag this thing out forever http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

jehannarc
Jul-29-2003, 3:08pm
Mandopete, did you get my email?? Are you going to list the tour order or names?? This is too much fun!

mandopete
Jul-29-2003, 3:20pm
Mandopete, did you get my email?? Are you going to list the tour order or names?? This is too much fun!
Yes, I will compile and post the list as of this Friday, August 1. The plan is to launch the tour on that date and if I get more people who are interested after the bus leaves, I can set up a second leg.

Hey, maybe I could even be like Cher and and call it the Final, Farewell Tour (no really, I mean it, seriously)

Django Fret
Jul-29-2003, 5:09pm
Mandopete, #that pick was mechanically engraved with your handle on it, and then paint filled. #I don't know if will help you get a better grip on the pick, but it should. #Glad you liked it.

Apparently the post office was able to deliver it addressed to "Mando Pete" without the last name on the envelope. #They must be getting used to all the pick packages by now.

dvatchka
Jul-30-2003, 6:36pm
The Rainieri-style pointy thing was a strange inspiration when I had all these old piano key tops lying around, including the thin, narrow pieces that go all the way to the back of the keyboard. "What do I do with these?" I says to myself. Then I saw a post on this here board describing these odd shaped picks. So I tried it. Didn't like it too much but maybe as Pete has suggested, some extra effort smoothing the edges would have helped.

Pete, definitely do not send these to any other country outside the US (Texas would be OK, I think!). It's not just Canada, but any country that signed the CITES treaty (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species) could pose a problem. According to the rules, parts of an endangered animal that was actually killed before the Convention came into effect (mid-seventies I think) are ok, but you have to be able to prove that - and for my old piano keys, I don't have paperwork. Of course it only makes sense, pianos have been topped with plastic ever since CITES, so any piano ivory would have to predate it, but without the paperwork who knows what a Customs inspector would do? Not worth the hassle defending yourself against the $10,000 fine.

bratsche
Jul-30-2003, 8:30pm
Dvatchka - the Ranieri style picks require a special kind of technique to play with, so I doubt they'd be too useful to the rest of us ordinary mortals. Did you happen to catch the link a while back over in the classical section of someone using one in a recital? It was "different", to say the least!

I agree with you and Glen about keeping the picks in the US. I have heard horror stories of musicians touring with orchestras and having valuable expensive bows confiscated without recourse, simply because they had ivory or TS parts. They have taken this whole endangered species bit to ridiculous extremes, imo. The ivory suppliers I have bought from can only ship elephant ivory within the US, even though it's of "legal age", so I adopt that rule with my picks as well, to stay safe. But it's not true about piano keys all being plastic since the ban - many people will have their piano keys topped or re-topped with legally sold pre-ban ivory - making use of "new old stock", as it were.

bratsche

mandodude
Jul-30-2003, 10:30pm
Pete,

You are da MAN!! When I kicked off this "Picks for Pete" thing I had no idea you'd turn it around and share the love, so to speak! WHAT A GUY!! I'm proud to have been "Head Cheerleader" for this thing!

Been spendin' a LOT of time on the road lately (FINALLY, the ol' Cafe gets to enjoy a spell of relatively silent intelligence, without fear of my typically incessant and absurd comebacks, huh??!?). Guess I'll have to get my name on the list for the next go-around of the tour.

Your "pick tour" is a fabulous idea, my friend. Thanks for taking P.F.P. to the next level!!

;-)

M'dude

Arto
Jul-31-2003, 12:59pm
In case you are interested in Ranieri plectrum use, here is the link Bratsche mentioned:
Het Consort: Sebastiaan de Grebber (http://www.mandolineorkest.nl/informatie/ensolist1.htm)

De Grebber is one of the solists in mandolin orcherstra Het Consort. Click "Calace prelude no 2" on this page and you´ll see part of the performance on video. Great music and great player.

greetings, Arto

mandopete
Jul-31-2003, 7:38pm
Alrighty then,

The tour bus is all loaded up and leaves bright and early tommorow morning. First stop will be Grant Eversoll in Petersburg, Indiana! All told we have 29 tour stops, all over the United States. I'm looking forward to hearing some comments and feedback, this should be fun. Here's the list of folks who have signed-up for the tour:

Grant Eversoll
Rick Gaskin
Charles Hicks
Keith Newell
Jason Dennie
Joe Canitia
Erik Newman
Ric Volante
Mick Meinsler
John Ely
Pearl Bradley
Tracy Mazur
Christine Walsh
James Hamrick
Greg Kise
John Jesseph
David Landgraf
Erica Rossi
Barb Cybart
Teri LaMarco
Daryl Thompson
Jim Comeaux
Odnamnool
Ben Ellis
Ira Kittrell
Jeff Sanders
Larry Wellman
Jeff Paradise
Dan Hagen

bratsche
Jul-31-2003, 7:44pm
Yikes, they're leaving tomorrow morning? Did you get my pick yet? I hope so... because I think it's a better example than the one of mine that's already in there. (Any way for it to "catch up" with the tour, if it missed the bus?)

bratsche

mandopete
Jul-31-2003, 7:50pm
Bratsche,

Unfortunately your pick missed the rehearsal (and we're going to have to dock your pay too), but we may be able to add it mid-stream. I do have one of your picks in the mix, it's one of the larger tear-drop shapes, nice pick too!

bratsche
Jul-31-2003, 7:56pm
Bummer (dam post office, what do we pay ridiculous postage increases for? slower service, that's what!) ... and I hope it can rejoin... otherwise, I want it back! ;) thanks...

bratsche

mandopete
Aug-01-2003, 5:52pm
Bratsche,

Great News - Your pick arrived today! The custom crafted "Le Nose Pick" arrived and I gave it a thorough test drive and it sounds great. The tour bus has already left the station, but I should be able to send the pick along it's way to catch up.

OdnamNool
Aug-01-2003, 9:06pm
Uh oh... Now I'm worried... Did "Black Beauty" arrive? Is it on board the bus? http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

bratsche
Aug-02-2003, 12:25am
Hey, a day full of good news... "Le Nose Pick" arrives right after the bus has left, and the Cubs finally win the game only 8 hours after the first pitch was thrown. In both cases, better late than never! (But I can't make a crack about saving a load of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico, because they actually wanted a lot more than I was paying already....)

Anyway, just be sure to send it on in a padded envelope, the same way you got it, because I learned (the hard way) that if you put those in regular envelopes that get cancelled mechanically, the machine wins and the pick loses. :-(

bratsche

OdnamNool
Aug-02-2003, 3:21am
Well, yeah! #Good for you! #I'm sittin' up here frantically twiddling my thumbs and wondering, "where's the pick?"

OdnamNool
Aug-02-2003, 6:07am
I also find it very troubling that, apparently, I'm the only one that used my "handle". I mean...look at that list! They're all real names!!! EeeeeK!!! Dr. Fflyodd!!! Hep me, hep me!

grant_eversoll
Aug-04-2003, 10:08pm
The picks made it to Indiana today, and I had to work late today (just got home at 10:00)...dam the bad luck. On the bright side I get off early tomorrow so everybody get out of my way cause I'm gonna play.
Grant

mandopete
Aug-04-2003, 11:53pm
Glad to hear it - I'll be looking forward to a review!

OdnamNool
Aug-05-2003, 2:31am
Huh? At this point, Mandopete, you're supposed to be saying, "well, yes indeedy, Od, yer pick arrived and it's on board the Plectrum Spectrum. You mean, it didn't arrive yet??? Oh dear! Gee Willakers. At the same time I mailed the pick, I mailed cookies and candy to someone in Hawaii, and it didn't arrive yet either... What's going on here?

mandopete
Aug-05-2003, 8:57am
Huh? #At this point, Mandopete, you're supposed to be saying, "well, yes indeedy, Od, yer pick arrived and it's on board the Plectrum Spectrum. #You mean, it didn't arrive yet??? #Oh dear! #Gee Willakers. #At the same time I mailed the pick, I mailed cookies and candy to someone in Hawaii, and it didn't arrive yet either... #What's going on here?
Yup, got the pick. #Can you tell what it is made from, it looks like some type of wood.

mandodude
Aug-05-2003, 9:02am
...Can you tell what it is made from, it looks like some type of wood.
Hey, Pete!

If Od held true to what she said she was gonna make a pick out of, then you don't even wanna know what it is!!

Hint: It ain't wood!...

;-)

mandodude
Aug-05-2003, 9:08am
Hint #2: Go back to the original "Picks for Pete" thread... July 3rd postings...

mandodude
Aug-05-2003, 9:11am
Hint #3: Pete, if the pick you got from Od looks, smells and tastes like a cookie, then her friends in Hawaii are in for a big surprise when they bite into her "gift!"

;-)

mandopete
Aug-05-2003, 9:57am
You mean a genuine, one of a kind, moose nugget pick ?

bratsche
Aug-05-2003, 10:27am
Coprolite, maybe? Or is that from some other critter's "nugget"? (Hey, then what are "Nugget" mandolins made of? hmmmmmmm!)

Pete, time to post pictures of the recent arrivals, don'tcha think? ???

bratsche

mandopete
Aug-05-2003, 10:43am
Well, yours was the only new arrival I've had and I didn't have time to get a photo as I wanted to get it added to tour ASAP.

FWIW - I loved the nose on the front! Let's just say that you can pick your friends and you might pick your nose, but never pick your friend's nose :)

bratsche
Aug-05-2003, 10:55am
Ah, you sent it along already? Great, thanks!

you can pick your friends and you might pick your nose, but never pick your friend's nose :)

That little jewel is precisely the pearl of wisdom that prompted me to produce this particular plectrum! And since I, sentimental fool that I am, always make scans of the "special" ones before they leave home, here it is:

mandopete
Aug-05-2003, 11:05am
Thanks Bratsche!

grant_eversoll
Aug-05-2003, 10:05pm
The picks have arrived at the first leg of the tour and I am getting ready to play. I may not be the best person to grace these picks with my opinion as I am a fairly new mandolin player, (been playing about eight months) I have played guitar for about twenty years so...well you know.
You always start your tour at a small venue to work out the bugs

To set the record straight I am use to playing with a small pick (notice there is no R in that word)
A Fender Heavy Tear Drop shape ( Small) so that is what I am used to. Please understand this rating is just "MY" opinion and opinions are like A#$ Holes, everyone has one and they all stink.

So please if I don't like your pick remember it is nothing personal toward you or your pick it is just my preference.

I have decided to rate the picks like this (Notice no pick gets a bad ratting)

N = Not my style
B = Better but still not for me
G = Good
E = Excellent

I have played each pick on the following songs (yes the wife and kids got tired of hearing these same songs over and over and over...)
Joe Clark
Somewhere over the rainbow
Nadia's theme
and an original

Pick
#1 D'Androa Tri- corner, .B ...Muted sound
#2 Golden gate shape, ..... B....Muted sound
#3 Unknown Animal Horn Tri shaped...B...clear-er sound, better feel
#4 Golden Gate...B...Same as #2 but clear-er sounding like #3
#5 A Dawg from Mandodude...B+ like the gate but better...(this is hard)
#6 David Grisman.....B+ tir with #5
#7 D'andrea Pro-Plec, Tri...B I think I like the tri corner picks
#8 Pygmy Goat Horn...G+...mellow sound, yet bright
#9 Tear drop Ivory.....G.. Seemed to catch or grip strings...good sound
#10 Pygmy goat from same person as #8.. G+...Same horn different shape Bright sound
#11 Lg. Tear drop Ivory...G+... LOUD...did NOT grip strings like #9
#12 Pettite shape Ivory...N...hard to hold but good sound
#13 Fender Pearloid Med...G+...just like the one I play but Med instead of Heavy
#14 Dunpol Tortex...G
#15 Dunlop Big stubby....B...Clear sound size felt odd (TO ME)
#16 Fender Heavy...B...not as bright as some but not bad
#17 Dunlop gator grip...B.. Gatro Grip?
#18 John Pearse...G+... I like it
#19 Dunlop ultex 1.0...B
#20 Dunlop ultex 1.14...B.. Slightly muted
#21Clayton .80...G ..Boomy
#22 Dunlop Tortex 1.0...B ...I don't like the feel of Tortex
#23 D'andrea Brite .73...B
#24 Martin H .96...B
#25 Fender Tear drop H...E!!!! (not fair that's what I play)
#26 HIX....G...Like #25 but thiner
#27 Clatyton tear drop .80 with grip...G+ Like the grip on thumb side, not finger side
#28 Dunlop gator grip 2.0...N... not for me
#29 Purloined, McCabes...B
#30 Gryphon...G
#31 Artichoke Music...B
#32 Bananas...B
#33 Martha Stewart....G+ How else can ger a woman under my thumb
#34 Honestead...G
#35 LE Nose, Ivory...G+
#36...Mine added...I play with this
#37...Mine Added...Don't care for this

In summary I find that aside from the pick I am used to I prefer natural material
....not all ivory is the same
...the two ugliest picks in the pack are my favorite, both made of Pygmy goat horn and both sound different. #8 and #10

This has been fun and I want to thank Mandopete for all the work he has put into this
I hope I have not stepped on any toes these are just my opinions

Rick Gaskin the tour will be headed you with Wed. the 6th, Enjoy

Grant Eversoll

mandopete
Aug-05-2003, 11:33pm
Grant,

Thanks for the great review, this is just what I was hoping for! So you liked the Pygmy Goat Horn picks too?

bratsche
Aug-06-2003, 12:53am
In the interest of accuracy, #12, which is apparently mis-labeled "Pettite (sic) shape" should be changed to "Ranieri shape". The Pettine shape is quite different from that two-pointed pick in the photo!

Oh yeah, and from the descriptions, I couldn't tell which one was Odnam's. At least, there are no comments about strange odors... (just color me curious!)

bratsche

OdnamNool
Aug-06-2003, 2:59am
I have a feeling that mine missed the bus...Blasted postal service!

OdnamNool
Aug-06-2003, 3:11am
Course, it could be #34, cuzz technically, mine should have arrived before yours, Bratsche. But..."Honestead"??? I mean...the name of my pick is, "Black Beauty"! What's a honestead, anyways?

OdnamNool
Aug-06-2003, 4:01am
Well, maybe he meant to say "hornstead"... After all...it was just made from an old hornshoe. They must be obsolete. I tried to look it up in the dictionary (hornshoe, that is...) in order to spell it correctly, and I couldn't find it...I even checked hoarnshoe...

OdnamNool
Aug-06-2003, 4:05am
Whoops! There I go again! I mean shoehorn!!! (no wonder I couldn't find it in the dic...) Sheesh.

mandopete
Aug-06-2003, 8:46am
#34 is a typo, it should read "Homestead" as in Homestead Music. It's one of those music store picks.

As for the pick from OdnamNool, it's in need of a little finishing work. I'll try some sandpaper on it and see what I can do.

Od - any suggestions for shaping the pick?

Oddname
Aug-06-2003, 11:47am
grant:

Thanks for the review! You've kicked off the tour, and from the tour list it looks like I'll be closing it out. Looking forward to the growing stash of picks moving 'round the country. I like the rating system and the "controlled" experiment - a fixed set of songs played with each pick. I was planning on something similar.

pete: this was a brilliant idea! I have a tendency with picks (guitar and mando) to find one I like early on and stick with it. Dawgs are what I use. This will be a great opportunity to think outside the box and play a full platter of plectrums.

grant_eversoll
Aug-06-2003, 6:40pm
Yes it was a typo and should have read homestead and yes I liked the Pygme goat picks. When I first saw them I thought " What the ? but when I played them I was supprised. Also thought it odd at how diffrent they both sounded.

The tour is on its way. It's in the mail signed sealed and delivered

grant_eversoll
Aug-06-2003, 7:20pm
2003 Summer Mandolin Café Pick Tour Tee shirts anyone?

The towns and states are listed it order of appearance

They are free but you have to do the work...Cut and paste, reverse, buy some iron on transfer paper print it and iron it on. Now if I catch anyone trying to make money off of this (Other than Scott) you will be cursed with the sounds of BANJOS playing in your head for the rest of your life or until you die which ever comes first

grant_eversoll
Aug-06-2003, 10:02pm
Tee Shirts
For a full size (much clearer) copy e-mail me at
mongohardbottle@wmconnect.com

mandopete
Aug-06-2003, 11:30pm
Grant buddy - YOU ROCK!

The design is outstanding! Now all I have to do is figure out how to do the transfer. We really have some very creative people in this here Cafe.

Good on you!

OdnamNool
Aug-06-2003, 11:49pm
Od - any suggestions for shaping the pick?
Well, m'pete...I suppose, yes...file and sandpaper. I've never made a pick before, so I'm not sure. I started by sawing off a small square. There is this electric tool in my garage... Picture an oatmeal box lying flat. On each end of this cylinder are these round, rough things that wildly spin when you turn it on. I held the square with plyers and shaped the pick by holding the square to the wildly spinning mechanism...Get it? It's hard to explain... Maybe you should just send it to Bratche and let her finish it off???

Love your idea, Grant! You'll have to tell us the details on how to cut, paste, reverse, etc.

Keith Newell
Aug-07-2003, 1:04am
I am about number #4 on the list. I hope included with the picks is a list of addresses so I know where to send it next. I have a pick I will be adding also.
Keith Newell

mandopete
Aug-07-2003, 9:02am
Keith,

There is an address list inside a small envelope marked "READ ME". All you do is cross your name off the list and send it along to the next person.

Thanks for playing!

stanley
Aug-07-2003, 10:13am
hey, who's from Redford, Mi? That's where I grew up!

wolfsong
Aug-13-2003, 2:23am
Hey everyone any word on how the tour is progressing http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

OdnamNool
Aug-13-2003, 7:44am
Yeah. Also...how's Black Beauty? Dang! I thought it was the perfect material! Did you try to sand it, M'Pete? By the way, it's possible that the name of that tool I discribed (the oatmeal box tool) is a grinder. (no double-entendre implied...)

grant_eversoll
Aug-14-2003, 9:30pm
Have the picks made it to the second leg?

mandopete
Aug-15-2003, 9:18am
Yes, I have been wondering the same thing . . . . .

wolfsong
Aug-15-2003, 10:12pm
Hi everyone I am pleased to anounce that I got home late tonight to find that the pick train had arrived in Asheville NC. I have to work a long day tommorrow but will spend all day Sunday trying out the picks and send them on to their 4th stop sometime on Monday. I will post my opinions then!
thanks
Wolfsong

grant_eversoll
Aug-17-2003, 1:03am
Glad to see you got them,What happened to stop two and three?

wolfsong
Aug-17-2003, 7:56am
I'm # 3 don't know what happened to # 2. But I will try to post some opinions tomorrow.
Thanks again
Wolfsong

grant_eversoll
Aug-17-2003, 10:26pm
DUHHH. I had just got in from a late night gig. I guess you were #3 and that is what you said.

I play keys in a classic rock band and we played a bir event on the river...you knoe the difference between playing in a keys in a rock band and mandolin in a blue grass band? I have never had a girl throw her bikini top at me while playing my mandolin

wolfsong
Aug-17-2003, 11:59pm
Just a quick update, played thru a little over 1/2 of the picks today will finish tommorrow for sure. this is really fun and its cool to get to try some picks you might never have gottin to try otherwise. Also whoever made the goat horn picks if you ever make these to sell put me down for a dozen http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/love.gif .
Post and mail out tommorrow.
Wolfsong

Keith Newell
Aug-18-2003, 12:35am
YaY! I'm next! Cant wait to try them on my freshly made mando as of Saturday. See the "Post a Picture of your mandolin" Forum and its the "Just a lil Golden Delicious" post.
Keith

mandopete
Aug-18-2003, 9:01am
I'm glad to hear an update from the tour - I was starting to worry that the tour bus may have broken down!

Yeah, those pygmy goat horn picks are something else, eh?

mandolinplayer
Aug-18-2003, 10:56am
mandolinkgn & Oddname - I would like to try out those goat horn picks (amongst others) when the tour comes to Portland - Would either of you be interested in having an informal pick party? It would be fun to meet other mandolin players here who also partake in the Mandolin Cafe. (Keith - I think I might have already met you once at the Lompoc jam last summer?)

mandopete
Aug-20-2003, 9:15am
Any updates on the tour?

The last we heard the bus had made it to Asheville, NC. Sounds like there have been a few surprises by the reactions we've gotten so far.

wolfsong
Aug-20-2003, 11:37am
Hi everyone the tour is on its way to its next destination. Have not had a chance to post opinion due to father in law haing to go in the hospital. Will post those as soon as a little more time opens up.
Thanks everyone
Wolfsong

Keith Newell
Aug-23-2003, 12:32pm
I got the picks in Fridays mail. was really glad to see them when I got home from work. I'll give them a test and send them off Monday to the next destination.
Keith

Keith Newell
Aug-24-2003, 12:14pm
Well, I got to play through the picks last night. My fingers are sore! There is now #51 picks on the tour.
I was most impressed with #10 pygmy goat, I never woulda guessed it but hey I kinda liked the sound and the feel. My other favorite was #38 panet waves 1.1mm big triangle.
Thanks for the great idea of the tour.
Keith Newell

mandopete
Aug-25-2003, 3:45pm
Wow! Another vote for the pygmy goat horn. Pretty neat when you consider that the person who sent them to me refered to them as "useless". How did you find the odd shape?

mandopete
Aug-25-2003, 3:48pm
These two babies.....

Django Fret
Aug-25-2003, 7:45pm
Mandopete, are there any coconut shell picks on the current tour? If not, would you be able to include one in the second round of the tour scheduled to go of in early 2004?

I just got my hands of a few and think they would be a great addition to include in the next round if you ever get them back.

Also, how can we find out about getting some more information on those pygmy goat horn picks? I just hope they are not an endangered species...

Mando Medic
Aug-25-2003, 8:10pm
Pete, Put me down for the tour. I have one new mandolin and my Master Model back from Gibson to try them on plus I'll ad in a Moshay. Ken Cartwright

mandopete
Aug-26-2003, 9:18am
Mandopete, are there any coconut shell picks on the current tour? #If not, would you be able to include one in the second round of the tour scheduled to go of in early 2004?

I just got my hands of a few and think they would be a great addition to include in the next round if you ever get them back.

Also, how can we find out about getting some more information on those pygmy goat horn picks? #I just hope they are not an endangered species...
Nope, no coconut shell picks (as far as I know). The pygmy goat horn picks came from Jaybee here on the board. You may need to contact him/her for more info.

Ken - just send me an email at petekbcs@hotmail.com with your address and i'll add you to the list. It looks like there are a quite a few people who are still interested in the tour.

OdnamNool
Aug-27-2003, 5:37am
Yeah. #Also...how's Black Beauty? #Dang! #I thought it was the perfect material! #Did you try to sand it, M'Pete? #
Humph. Everyone gets a response except me... (Dejectedly skrunching eyebrows, arms tightly folded against chest,
foot tippity tapping....................) Humph. http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/oh.gif

Django Fret
Aug-28-2003, 8:23am
There once was an Alaskan named Suzy
Made a pick that she thought was a doozy.
Asking Pete what he thought,
She became quite distraught,
That his posting replies were too choosy!

grant_eversoll
Aug-28-2003, 1:32pm
A poet and did not know it.

Don't forget the free pick tour tee shirts. I have redone the design so all you have to do is print out and iron on, no flippiing required, just e-maim me

mongohardbottle@wmconnect.com

bratsche
Aug-28-2003, 1:34pm
E-maim you? LOL! That sounds virtually brutal...

Oddname
Aug-28-2003, 3:32pm
mandolinplayer: I PMed you, but I'll post here too. Send me your email address and I'll let you know when I get the picks in Portland.

-Dan
dan.hagen@reed.edu

grant_eversoll
Aug-28-2003, 10:43pm
e-maim. that's like spam hate mail...whheer iss sepll check when yooou ned it?

temazur
Aug-29-2003, 1:08am
Oops, double post. Heh, heh. http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

temazur
Aug-29-2003, 1:10am
mandopete,

If there are more people that want in on the tour, you can just email me them, and when I get the picks, I can add to the "readme" list. I'm still a few people down on the list, pretty close to the middle, so there's still more than enough time to get in on it. http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif
My email is temazur@hotmail.com

OdnamNool
Aug-29-2003, 2:52am
He's ignoring me... I think he lost it. Either that, or he hates it! That's O.K. m'pete. I can take it! (sigh.................)
On the other hand, how thrilled am I that the Master of the Limerick wrote one featuring me! Thanks, Django! Sure did make me laugh!

mandopete
Aug-29-2003, 9:36am
Oh no, I'm not ignoring you. #I have been extremely busy in the past two weeks with the creation of a semi-annual business review for my customer (a little software factory in Washington) and I have not had time to think.

What I wanted to do was to finish the pick you sent to me, but I'm not real handy when it comes to anything less than 100 grit sandpaper. #I tried the pick in it's raw format and it has real potential. #I just don't want to destroy it if I try to make it a little more "user friendly"

Hope eveyone is enjoying the tour. #I would like to get the picks back before starting the 2nd leg as is sounds like people are adding to the collection and I'm a bit anxious to try those too.

ira
Aug-29-2003, 9:54am
so, where are the picks now?

buzzardbt
Aug-29-2003, 7:18pm
Hi all, I was stop #2 on the great pick tour....sorry it took me so long to reply...was in the middle of a move and am just not getting settled....I did try a few ofthe picks..loved the ivory one(nosepick) was great...I even added one like I use...thanks for a great tour
Rick

fishdawg40
Sep-04-2003, 5:52pm
Hey I just got the picks. Man they look real nice. It's a great collection. I haven't gotten to play them (should be doing that right now)but I will and give my thoughts on some of them.

I'll get the picks back on the tour Saturday.

Joe

OldWaveGal
Sep-04-2003, 7:17pm
Joe,
Where are you, and what no. are you on the tour? I think I'm twelve, but I'm not sure. I'm trying to get a rough idea about when to expect the picks.
OWG

ira
Sep-04-2003, 8:18pm
just got a new pick to add to the mix. anyone try one of the plectro picks (attach to your key ring so youre never without a pick when you need one)?

fishdawg40
Sep-04-2003, 8:37pm
Hey OldWave...Yeah you are number 12. #I'm number 6 and the tour got to number 1 on Aug 5. I got them today so it looks like it will take about a month if things go as they have. #I'm going to get them back on the road Saturday though, so maybe a little less.

Pygmy goat picks not my cup of tea. #
Long Ivory pick same as above.

I like the Dunlop 208.#

I find that I like the heavy rounded picks the best, maybe because I'm so used to playing them.

Bratsche's Ivory feels the best out of all the "unique" picks, but it's strange to play with it because of where it came from. #

I'll try to report more later.

Joe

mandopete
Sep-05-2003, 8:43am
I'm glad to hear that the tour bus is making it's rounds, albeit somewhat slowly. Do not despair though - it sounds like we're picking up passengers along the way!

mandomood
Sep-05-2003, 11:51am
I sent the picks to Fishdawg...

sorry for the delay...holiday made things a bit hectic...

mandopete..the picks you put in #1 & #2 are great picks...period.

Where can I get some?...

There were many in there I thought were almost unusable in their condition...very rough edges and shrill, thin sounding...

but some great stuff in there...

anxious to hear more folks' thoughts

Amandalyn
Sep-05-2003, 4:45pm
Hello,
I'm in line for the pick tour (Jacksonville. FL) and was wondering if there are any Wegan picks in the assortment? If not does anyone along the way have one they are willing to ad to the bunch?
Thanks in advance
Amandalyn:D

mandopete
Sep-05-2003, 7:34pm
Mandomood - sent you a PM.....

There were no Wegens when the bus pulled out, but perhaps someone added one to the tour. #I know they are a little spendy, so I know it might be a difficult task to get one of our fine tour tops to offer one up!

fishdawg40
Sep-06-2003, 5:19pm
Well the picks are out and on to the next...I can't remember the name or the state right now. I had my lovely girlfriend fill the envelope because of my sloppy handwriting. Not only did she put the adresses, she also put little hearts all over the envelope...argh! She likes to make me look stupid.

The picks were great. It was a lot of fun. I also liked those mystery picks. Hey Pete can ya tell me about those?

Joe

mandopete
Sep-13-2003, 10:26am
Haven't heard much from the old tour lately - how is the bus holding up?

ira
Sep-13-2003, 2:53pm
who is after fishdawg- where be the picks???

JiminRussia
Sep-14-2003, 1:51pm
They ain't here yet, but I'm awaitin'. I hope to be able to give a perspective that has long since past up most of you, one from someone thnat doesn't play well (hardly at all really) and doesn't have the time or energy to practice a lot. Those ten and twelve hour days building decks and porches six days a week are a little hard on an old man like me. I'd sort of like to know where the the bus is too though.

fishdawg40
Sep-14-2003, 4:06pm
I sent them put to Illinois last Saturday...I think there is a list of the names, in order of the tour, in this thread. I was number 6.

Joe

mandopete
Sep-15-2003, 3:27pm
Yes there is a list of participants in the first page of this thread. #It is listed by actual name, so you should be able to see where you are - looks like we're up to #7 (Eric Newman).

OdnamNool
Sep-26-2003, 4:06am
It's been awhile... Any updates? Where's the expedition? Reviews?

mandopete
Sep-27-2003, 11:10am
Hello, tour bus, where are you?

craig
Sep-29-2003, 6:12am
mandopete,

this pick-tour sounds like great fun! although you may have to change the t-shirt to read 2003-2004 http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif any chance the tour could come to europe? i'm sure there are a few of us over here that would like to get in on the fun.

bratsche
Sep-29-2003, 11:20am
I fear the bus has broken down. http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif Hopefully, it has not met with an even worse fate...

bratsche

<span style='color:blue'>Eamus Catuli!</span>

mandopete
Sep-29-2003, 5:47pm
Sounds like Erik Newman in Illinois should have been next on the list.

Erik - any update?

OdnamNool
Oct-04-2003, 4:30am
Pinnacle: #plectrums
Simple person wondering
EriK, send them on

strumNgrin
Oct-06-2003, 9:30pm
Mr. Newman, Do you have the picks???

OldWaveGal
Oct-09-2003, 7:16am
I,too, am wondering, WHERE are the picks!!!
# # #
# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #OWG

fishdawg40
Oct-09-2003, 10:04am
I don't have a good feeling about this...

jehannarc
Oct-09-2003, 10:09am
Nooooooo!
It's been over a month since they were last seen. We've lost our errant picks!!!

mandomick
Oct-09-2003, 6:10pm
I'm 2 names after Erik Newman and havn't seen 'em.

Django Fret
Oct-09-2003, 6:49pm
Have they been pick-pocketed???????

ira
Oct-09-2003, 7:05pm
http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

JiminRussia
Oct-10-2003, 7:46pm
Have the picks been purloined? What are we to do now? I guess that we could call in someone to investigate, but who shall it be? Poirot? Miss Marple? Jessica Fletcher? Lt. Columbo? Monk? Naw, my vote goes to Sam Spade. He knows how to handle picknappers. Besides, he works cheap. He's still on the 1938 labor scale.

strumNgrin
Oct-10-2003, 7:52pm
I have tried looking up names in anywho.com and found Erik Newman. I have called him at all hours for the past 2 days and all I get is an anwering machine. The names on the list after him are not listed in anywho (if I have the correct cities). Mick, are you in Houston?
Daryl

Django Fret
Oct-10-2003, 8:08pm
Did anyone insure the picks as they were sent? Some of them seemed priceless, and it sure would be hard to replace that collection.

strumNgrin
Oct-10-2003, 8:23pm
Good thinking Dj..Fret. We should include that in the instructions from this point forward. My guess, however, is that they are still laying in an envelop in someones house that is just not following through!
Daryl

Keith Newell
Oct-11-2003, 1:37am
Well this is not good news. I was like 4th or so on list and got to enjoy them and even added 4 picks to the tour. Do we know for sure the last person to see them? Have we heard from everyone so far? Should we mount a posse?
Keith

mandopete
Oct-11-2003, 12:23pm
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I had recieved some email that the picks were still enroute, I will investigate and get back to everyone.

fishdawg40
Oct-11-2003, 12:33pm
I was the last person to have the picks. #I sent them off to Newman as quick as possible, I had them for 2 days. #I wanted the tour to go on and prosper, its looks like it didn't happen...mandopete do you have the screen name for Newman? #Has he posted recently?

Joe

mandomick
Oct-11-2003, 12:46pm
Hey strumNgrin, I'm in Harrisburg, PA and as I said, I haven,t seen 'em.

I'm going on a road/camping trip to MT,WY, and the Dakotas and leaving today. If the picks arrive while I'm gone, I made sure they'll be sent to the next person on the list without delay.

Mikey2
Oct-11-2003, 2:10pm
One month missing is not good. Need system of signed sig on receipt, etc. Ins is worthless. I believe they'll show up. You have a "paper trail". It seems the last intended receiver is now on a roadtrip. The last person to have picks says he sent it to the person now on roadtrip, right? They'll show up I believe. If they don"t, I'll make some suggestions later. I'm a retired Santa Barbara Police Dept with 28 yrs service and I retired as a Lt./Asst Commander Detective Division. I'll have a few suggestions for you all. Mail does not get lost very often but it does happen.

Mike in OR

strumNgrin
Oct-11-2003, 4:03pm
Mandopete:
Here is the order I have, based on the two lists already published. I just married the lists but must have something screwed up because Mick says he is in Harrisburg. Please make corrections as necessary and we will try to track down. sounds like we can get some help from Mikey2 in the "investigation" (Thanks Mikey2&#33http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Grant Eversol Petersburg, IN
Rick Gaskin Golden Valley, AZ
Charles Hicks Asheville, NC
Keith Newell Beaverton, OR
Jason Dennie Redflord, MI
Joe Canitia Oviedo, FL
Erik Newman Urbana, IL
Ric Volante Harrisburg, PA
Mick Meinsler Houston, TX
John Ely Cincinnati, OH
Pearl Bradley Greensboro, NC
Tracy Mazur Granville, WV
Christine Walsh Louisville, KY
James Hamrick Ronceverte, WV
Greg Kise Bellingham, WA
John Jesseph Muncie, IN
David Landgraf Atlanta, GA
Erica Rossi Chandler, AZ
Barb Cybart Dunkirk, NY
Teri LaMarco Jacksonville, FL
Daryl Thompson Rushford, MN
Jim Comeaux Schertz, TX
Odamnool Anchorage, AK
Ben Ellis Little Rock, AR
Ira Kittrell Holliston, MA
Jeff Sanders Knoxville, TN
Larry Wellman South Point, OH
Jeff Paradise New York, NY
Dan Hagen Portland, OR

Daryl

mandomick
Oct-11-2003, 4:31pm
Relax everybody, the picks are hot off the mail truck here in Harrisburg, PA.

I'm not leaving untill tomorrow AM so I'll get to play with them for a couple hours tonite. They'll be on their way to John Ely in Houston sometime Monday.

The Pick Tour Lives!

strumNgrin
Oct-11-2003, 5:23pm
Praise and jubilation!!!

mandopete
Oct-11-2003, 7:46pm
Hooray, hooray!

Guess the tour bus just needed some gas, eh?

mandomick
Oct-11-2003, 11:32pm
Not much time but I did get to try the ivory, goat horn, unknown horn and some others that were new to me. One thing I noticed about all of the ones I tried is that thicker and rounder = darker tone.

Thanks Pete and all who donated picks to the tour. They are now in an envelope addressed to the next recipiant and will be mailed Monday morning.

ira
Oct-12-2003, 10:52am
can we change the subtitle of this thread to
"good clean autumn/winter fun" ???http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Mikey2
Oct-12-2003, 1:20pm
Just a suggestion:

How about Priority Mail with signature acceptance required? The picks seem worth the few bucks.

Mike in OR

JiminRussia
Oct-12-2003, 1:37pm
Mandomic - #"I'm not leaving untill tomorrow AM so I'll get to play with them for a couple hours tonite. They'll be on their way to John Ely in Houston sometime Monday."
# # Lest we get delayed again, please note that John is in Cincinnati, not Houston.

Mikey2
Oct-12-2003, 3:52pm
Daryl

Your list doesn't jive with what I'm reading. Are we skipping Houston or what?

strumNgrin
Oct-12-2003, 6:59pm
I dunno. I just took the list of cities on p 2 of this thread (in order), and matched them with the names on p 1 (in order). Things seemed to go well for awhile, and were still correct when they got to my name, but must be some problems with the list. Perhaps someone on the tour could straighten us out so we can keep track of where & when they go. I also agree with your suggestion on the priority mail. That's the way they will leave here for sure!
Regards,
Daryl

GaryM
Oct-13-2003, 12:34am
Glad it all worked out!!
I'm not on the tour but nice reading anyway......
good luck all.

OldWaveGal
Oct-13-2003, 9:04pm
I think those lists must be incomplete. Earlier, Pete confirmed that I'm scheduled, but I don't show up on either list posted. There's someone else listed for the Greensboro stop. Pete, where are you??
# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #OWG

jehannarc
Oct-14-2003, 11:35am
Yeah, the list seems kind of funky. Some other AZ address (Golden Valley) is listed before me. Seems silly to send it to AZ, up to Oregon, and so on and then route it back to AZ later. Noticed the same thing for North Carolina as well as New York. Maybe something to keep in mind for the next pick tour. Might speed things up.
Also, I would rather the picks weren't sent signature required. I am rarely home, and the likelihood that I would be around to get this is slim. I have no worries about it being left for me and somehow disappearing. The UPS/Mail guy always hides any packages in the potted plants by my front door, and noone would ever see it. So do we really have to do the signature thing?
As long as people keep the tracking number, they should be able to track it on the internet. I think insuring it is the way to go myself.
But as you can see I'm biased by my desire to not have to deal with trying to have them deliver it when I'm home. Personally, I think this will slow things down a lot for everyone.

Mikey2
Oct-14-2003, 4:03pm
If you're expecting a delivery, a signed note on your door will be accepted by the delivery person, be it UPS, or USPS, and they will leave it on your doorstep. The person getting a delivery should be notified by the sender by email its coming. Lets no go backwards again and have then lost for another 4 weeks.

Mike in OR (I'm not on the list)

jehannarc
Oct-14-2003, 5:22pm
Brilliant! Thanks Mike (not on the list), I never knew that.

mandopete
Oct-14-2003, 6:57pm
Allrighty then . . . .

Here's the list that I have (which also went out with the pick tour). #Looks like the old tour bus is running a bit slow - have patience http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Grant Eversoll - OK
Rick Gaskin - OK
Charles Hicks - OK
Keith Newell - OK
Jason Dennie - OK
Joe Canitia - OK
Erik Newman - OK
Ric Volante - OK
Mick Meinsler- OK
John Ely
Pearl Bradley
Janie Johnson
Tracy Mazur
Christine Walsh
James Hamrick
Greg Kise
John Jesseph
David Landgraf
Erica Rossi
Barb Cybart
Teri LaMarco
Daryl Thompson
Jim Comeaux
Odnamnool
Ben Ellis
Ira Kittrell
Jeff Sanders
Larry Wellman
Jeff Paradise
Dan Hagen

mandomick
Oct-23-2003, 4:08pm
Hey pick tour watchers, I just noticed that the guy I sent the picks to on 10/13 got them and posted a review on the Equipment part of the board.

Sorry, I don't have the skills to highlight or link it for you, maybe someone else will.

mandopete
Oct-23-2003, 6:36pm
From John Ely (posted in the Equipment area):

I enjoyed playing the picks, and thanks to everyone for contributing. They are on their way to Cincinatti now. Here are the ones I particularly liked. #Let me tell you that I favor a rounder, more mellow tone. #I like some brightness, but with a good foundation beneath it.

Cool, heavy (white acetate (?) with "Cool" logo)
I like this material, it's warm and full sounding, and feels good on the strings. I think this is the same white material that Clayton uses and I like those picks too, in the thicknesses ranging around 1.5mm and a little heavier.

Unknown Animal Horn, large triangle (amber in color)
Very full round sound - mellow. #Great shape for me, not too pointy, not too round.

Dunlop Small Stubby 2mm
I was surprised that I liked this one. I hated them on my guitars. It had a nice full simple tone, not complex, which might be nice for some music. The edge caught a little, but a little sandpaper would cure that.

Mandopete's Mystery - rounded triangle and a triangle
Very nice, full, complex tone on the rounded triangle. One of the best, especially on the treble strings, which didn't get strident at all. I like a little more pointed shape, but this one was very nice. The regular triangle didn't sound quite a rich to me, but was similar. #I assume these are the same material, but I preferred the rounded triangle slightly.

Ivory, Large Teardrop
This might have been my favorite. Very big, full sound. #Sounded good on all the strings.

Pygmy Goat Horn
There were two of these. These were somewhat bright, but a good complex sound. #They look very rough, but sound good.

Dunlop 208
A mellow sounding pick. The sound is dark, but not muddy. #You can dig in very hard with these. #I like this black material very much.

Bratsche's Le Nose Ivory Triangle
I like ivory as a material. #Also a good full rich sound. It has some bright overtones that are nice. #This is a good shape for me.

Dunlop Tortex H3 (small pointy teardrop)
Good round sound, with a little brightness. It's too small in size, but a good sound.

Pro Plec 1.5mm Lg Triangle
I like the Pro-plecs a lot. #The have a brighter, but still full sound. #I think celluloid needs to be very heavy or it sounds too bright, and these are thick enought to sound right to me.

I like the natural materials. #I like heavy - thin picks sound thin to me, and buzzy. I also don't feel like I can control the thinner picks - they flap around on the strings. I also think shape and edge profile are extremely important, and it was hard to control for that here. #For example, there was one pick in the same material as some I liked very much that had squared off edges, and it just didn't sound as good to me. #Another interesting experiment would be to get a bunch of picks of the same material and experiment with different shapes and edge profiles.

Don't be insulted if I didn't mention your favorite, this is all very subjective, and I only gave my impressions of the ones I really liked.

ira
Oct-24-2003, 9:08pm
is there a wegen on the tour?...never tried one, but they get a lot of play on the cafe and would love to.

Bradley
Oct-27-2003, 5:48pm
I shipped the package out today from Cincinnati headed to
North Carolina.....

I enjoyed most of the picks,the Bratsche Ivory Triangle was Awesome.....Really brought out the High Endon my mando without sacrificing the mid or lows....

How much are those picks? 30'ish or something like that?

Happy Picking http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

temazur
Nov-04-2003, 12:52am
Got the picks today! http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

I finally got a chance to try a few out after work today (after midnightish)...I'm likin' the teardrop ivory one, but it's way too big for me. http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif Like pickin' with a plank...but, the tone is totally awesome with it. http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

I'll play with them tomorrow and wednesday (I have those days off...wheee! What a happy coinkydink) and send them on probably thursday.

fishdawg40
Nov-15-2003, 11:05am
Hey all. I guess when the tour was with me one pick dropped out and I just found it this morning (under my bed). Yeah it was a bonehead manevur on my part. I'd like to mail it out to the next recipent. So whoever has them now, could you p.m. me the next address so I could get it out. Sorry about the mistake.

Joe

temazur
Nov-17-2003, 9:49pm
I sent the picks out last monday...has the next person gotten them yet?

christina
Nov-18-2003, 8:53am
I got em' I didn't get them till saturday because I had to go to the post office and sign for them. They have been giving my mando playing a real workout. I will be sending them along on Thursday of this week to the next person. http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

christina
Nov-18-2003, 8:55am
fishdawg,
just read your post I'll give it to you tomorrow.I'm at work and don't have it on me.

oh yeah and let me add whoever rapped that box #just to let you know it it very ominous. I was afraid to open it. The lady at the post office said well do you know who sent it? I said no. I didn't see the pick tour on the side untill I got to the jeep. I almost sent it back. So the next person just to let you know it's duct taped and it's not a bomb. http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

strumNgrin
Nov-18-2003, 10:34pm
Grant Eversoll - OK
Rick Gaskin - OK
Charles Hicks - OK
Keith Newell - OK
Jason Dennie - OK
Joe Canitia - OK
Erik Newman - OK
Ric Volante - OK
Mick Meinsler- OK
John Ely-OK
Pearl Bradley-OK
Janie Johnson-OK
Tracy Mazur -OK
Christine Walsh -OK
James Hamrick-OK
Greg Kise- We are here as of 12/01/03
John Jesseph
David Landgraf
Erica Rossi
Barb Cybart
Teri LaMarco
Daryl Thompson
Jim Comeaux
Odnamnool
Ben Ellis
Ira Kittrell
Jeff Sanders
Larry Wellman
Jeff Paradise
Dan Hagen http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

ira
Nov-18-2003, 10:44pm
only 11 more folks, then me! woo hoo!!!!

fishdawg40
Nov-18-2003, 11:16pm
Hey Christina, the next 'fella on the list already contacted me. I'm going to get it out to him tommorrow.

christina
Nov-19-2003, 8:46am
oh good because I 'm a pea brain and forgot about it till I saw your post and panicked.#I tell ya the memory is the first to go.

temazur
Nov-19-2003, 11:06pm
LOL!!

Sorry about the duct tape, but I was worried that the box might not hold up the whole way, and figured I'd save everyone else the trouble of finding another way to pack it... http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

christina
Nov-20-2003, 8:54am
[QUOTE]Sorry about the duct tape, but I was worried that the box might not hold up the whole way, and figured I'd save everyone else the trouble of finding another way to pack it..." temazur"

So your the culprit at least you fessed up. That's ok I got a laugh out of it after I realized who it was from. #Not only is my memory going paranoia is setting in. #
http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Tig
Nov-25-2003, 9:42am
Received the picks today and it's a really amazing assortment! I'll try them out in the next couple of days if I can sneak away from all the holiday visitors.

(Fishdawg----Received the pick....thanks.)

(Christina---Should there be a letter or something in the envelope marked "READ ME"?)

J. Hamrick

mandopete
Nov-25-2003, 10:10am
There should be a letter with the names and addresses of the pick tour participants. Let me know if it's missing and I can send a new one.

Tig
Nov-25-2003, 10:16am
Mandopete,

It's not in the box. If you want to send a new one to me, that would be fine. Thanks.

J. Hamrick

ira
Nov-25-2003, 10:45am
was wondering what the status was. thanks tig

christina
Nov-25-2003, 11:22am
There should be an envelope in there that says read me. I'm sure I put it in the box . Maybe somehow I didn't I'll have to check at home
Sorry for the mix-up

Tig
Nov-25-2003, 11:45am
Christina,

I got the envelope, but there's nothing in it. Kind of reminds me of my pay envelope most paydays. It's no big deal. Pete can send me one or, if you have the original, you can send it to me if you want.

Thanks,
Tig

p. s. That's a really cool wooden pick. Did you add that one?

christina
Nov-25-2003, 12:27pm
Yep! That sounds like something I would do.I'll look for it when I get home this evening.
Yeah the wooden pick is mine is goes along with my wooden head. Glad your enjoying it, I didn't care for it too much.

pickles
Nov-25-2003, 2:53pm
This looks like so much fun! Can I play, too? Sending my address...

christina
Nov-26-2003, 8:41am
Tig,
It's in the mail.
Pickles,
PM mandopete so you can give him your address he may be adding a second tour after this one.

mandopete
Nov-26-2003, 11:34am
James,

Do you still need the address list?

christina
Nov-26-2003, 12:06pm
Mandopete,
I mailed the address list today http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Tig
Dec-01-2003, 10:32am
Good morning all. The picks are enroute to Bellingham, WA, so I'll file this short report.

After much agonizing, gnashing of teeth, and very strict technical analysis (does it sound good and feel good?), I picked my favorite six picks. Here they are:

1. Dunlop Big Stubby Clear 1.0 MM--Mandohack
2. Pick #45..I think it's a Dunlop 208 from Wolfsong. If I
wanted to play really loud, this would be Number 1.
3. Planet Waves 1.1 MM--Rick Gaskin
4. Dunlop Tortex H3--Mandohack
5. Unknown animal horn--Elenbrandt
6. Medium Teardrop Ivory--Dvatcha. All the ivory picks
seemed to produce a noticeable increase in volume
and brightness(??).

Many thanks to Pete and all the other contributors. I believe
we now have 64 labeled picks. This is great fun!

Tig

fishdawg40
Dec-01-2003, 3:27pm
3. #Planet Waves 1.1 MM--Rick Gaskin
# # # #
Well I'm really glad I found it. #It was doing anyone any good sitting under my bed.

Joe

mandopete
Dec-01-2003, 9:25pm
Many thanks to Pete and all the other contributors. I believe we now have 64 labeled picks. #This is great fun!
You're welcome! It looks like the tour is about at the halfway point. At this rate I'm now hoping the get the bus back by Springtime http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

I'm really looking forward to seeing all of hitch-hikers and groupies we've picked up along the way!

Bob Borzelleri
Dec-02-2003, 1:18am
4,000 views and 180 replies and I still don't have the remotest idea what this thread is about. Still, I think it might have to do with the notion that someone's pick is better than someone else's so, here is a picture of some of my picks. I don't think that they are necessarily better than anyone else's pick, but I do think that they are better than nose picks or ice picks.

The top row are worn out Claytons, the next row are Claytons that were virgin before I took several different grades of sandpaper to them. The third row are my answer to finger sweat. They are stainless steel and they can handle the nastiest corrosive sweat imaginable. Only problem is that, at the first sign of sweat, they fly out of your fingers and become dangerous martial arts weaponery. Other than that, they are pretty cool. The pick on the bottom is one of those Dunlop experiments. I frequently use it to open letters.

...Bob

Now that I think about it, the use of ice picks to play a mando would be a sure way to get "normal pick marks" on the top.

christina
Dec-02-2003, 9:05am
"bborzel l"4,000 views and 180 replies and I still don't have the remotest idea what this thread is about"[QUOTE]

It all started when a bunch of cafe members sent thier picks to mandopete kind of as a joke. He had a great idea of doing a pick tour so he gathered all the picks that people sent in, organized them and sent them off. THey are traveling around the country to other cafe members who signed up and gave thier address. This way we all get to try out different picks that we may not have the opportunity to try out otherwise.

mandopete
Dec-02-2003, 7:47pm
Okay Sportsfans, here it is, The Mandolin Café Pick Tour!

Yes, it’s real summer fun coming your way with the Mandolin Café Pick Tour. #Here’s your chance to test a number of picks in the safety and convenience of your own home. #These picks were collected as part of the “Picks For Pete” thread and special thanks go out to Mandodude for kicking this off. #Here’s how it works:

Send me an email with your mailing address and I will compile a list of all of the pick tour participants. #Once I have the list together, I will send the tour on its way to the first participant who can pick away to his or her heart’s content. #Once that person has had their fill, they will be responsible for sending the picks to next participant on the list. #That means that you will be responsible for the packaging and postage to send the picks along. #For the purposes of the first leg of this tour we may need to limit this to the United States, but I would like to open it up to other countries, I’m just not sure how to do that yet. #All I ask is that you keep the picks in order and don’t keep them for yourself – let’s spread the love!

Now you may be asking yourself, “how can I add to all this fun and merriment?”, and well you may ask. #Please feel free to add picks to the tour. #Please don’t add picks we already have, but if there’s one we’re missing, add it to the collection. #It might be nice to see how many “regional” picks we can get. #You can usually find these at your favorite music store. #All you have to do is fill out the white card on the “pick-pocket” and slide it in, baby!

Now I’ve tried to think of the best way to package this so we can tell what the picks are and keep the whole mess together. #What we have is individual “pick-pockets” with a label for each. #It’s my hope that this will help you identify a pick if you happen to like it. #I don’t know how well the packaging will hold up and you may have to replace that as we go.

Sound like fun? #Heck it beats watchin’ re-runs of West Wing, don’t it? #I’ve even added a few surprises for good measure, so let’s get this here tour fired up. #You can send your mailing address to me at:

petekbcs@hotmail.com
'Nuff said!

Django Fret
Dec-02-2003, 11:09pm
I’ve even added a few surprises for good measure, so let’s get this here tour fired up. #
Mandopete, can you fill us in on what those surprises were when you started this pick tour? Is it that this summer tour has now almost become worthy of "winter fun" status?

This must be a picky bunch of pickers to have taken so long...

jehannarc
Dec-23-2003, 10:16am
Agh.... Waiting forever for the pick tour...

I never thought it would be Christmas and the picks would still not have arrived.

People! Get a wiggle on!!

ira
Dec-23-2003, 1:01pm
who ever has em- status?http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif?http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif?http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif???

JiminRussia
Dec-24-2003, 6:31pm
I can't wait to get my fingers on them! and yes, I guess that we'll have to request a change in the name to reflect the multi-seasonal aspect. It IS officially Winter now, you know. How about "The Tour For All Seasons" or "The Neverending Tour"? "The Tour De Farce"?

strumNgrin
Dec-30-2003, 5:19am
Grant Eversoll - OK
Rick Gaskin - OK
Charles Hicks - OK
Keith Newell - OK
Jason Dennie - OK
Joe Canitia - OK
Erik Newman - OK
Ric Volante - OK
Mick Meinsler- OK
John Ely-OK
Pearl Bradley-OK
Janie Johnson-OK
Tracy Mazur -OK
Christine Walsh -OK
James Hamrick-OK
Greg Kise-OK
John Jesseph-OK
David Landgraf-We are here as of Jan 5th, 2004
Erica Rossi
Barb Cybart
Teri LaMarco
Daryl Thompson
Jim Comeaux
Odnamnool
Ben Ellis
Ira Kittrell
Jeff Sanders
Larry Wellman
Jeff Paradise
Dan Hagen #

Edited by strumNgrin on Dec. 30 2003,04:18

ira
Dec-30-2003, 9:56am
hey greg. its almost the new year. send em on and let us know how they were.

mandopete
Dec-30-2003, 11:14am
Yes, I must admit that the tour is moving a lot slower than I had originally thought. #I'm hoping that the "surprises" are still intact, you will get a kick out of 'em.

I'm anxious to see what has has been added to the collection and I eagerly await the return of the tour bus.

mP #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

jehannarc
Dec-30-2003, 1:20pm
Woohoo!! Only two more people and then me!

Oddname
Dec-30-2003, 2:42pm
Wow! It might be a summer tour once again by the time it gets to me!

-Dan...last on the list

strumNgrin
Jan-05-2004, 1:52am
Me thinks the pick tour is in trouble. The last recipient was a Greg Kise from Bellingham WA. We have not heard from him since the picks were sent to him by James H. on the 1st of December. I have checked web-based directories and telephone information for ALL area codes in Washington State and there is not one "Kise" listed. PMs to him are unanswered.
Daryl

John Jesseph
Jan-05-2004, 6:06am
No worries. Greg must have entered the witness protection program, but the picks are on the kitchen table at my house ready to go out with today's mail. Unfortunately they came at a busy time, arriving Christmas eve. I didn't get a chance to open them for a couple of days, because of the holidays, and my wife just got back from a few weeks away with her father who had heart surgery, and the adoption lawyer called and said that we may have a potential birth mother set to deliver in a couple of weeks, so we need to get ready for the home study, and the builder for our new house said he could start early spring instead of late summer so we need our house plans ASAP, and I am typing this at the hospital where I have been on call for the last 72 hours.

I liked all the organic picks and the mandopete mystery picks. I hoped to get a Wegen and a Greven TorTis but FQMS was out of TorTis when I called them on the 27th of December...

Christine W
Jan-05-2004, 9:04am
John Jesseph
All that and you still had time to pick you must be superman,sounds like you have allot on you plate good luck with everything and thanks for getting them on their way.

dvatchka
Jan-05-2004, 10:47am
Hi John, all the best with the adoption - been there, done that, and it is _fantastic_! I hope it all works out well for you and is just as amazing as what I went through. I'll be thinking of you.
kathie

Landgrass
Jan-10-2004, 4:13pm
Well, the tour bus just pulled in to Atlanta Friday night. Spent several hours going through the collection of 65 picks. I'm amazed at the variety of shapes and sizes that are included. After trying a few, I narrowed my final trial to about a dozen. I couldn't handle the tiny ones or anything less than 1.0mm or anything above about 2.0mm. So far the ones that made the cut are either traditional guitar shaped, Dawg shaped or Tri-corner styles. Particularly like the Galli 1.2mm, Golden Gate, Dawg, Clayton Ultem 1.07mm and bratsche's ivory "Le Nose Pick". I find the natural materials really do give a warmer, mellower sound. May have to invest in some of those. I'll keep pickin' through the weekend and then they are off to sunny Arizona to Erica.

Thanks again to Pete for kickin' this whole thing off. There is no way anyone could aford to try this many shapes, sizes materials and gauges of picks otherwise. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

JiminRussia
Jan-10-2004, 4:48pm
I'm off to the East Coast or about three or four months, so please skip me (Jim Comeaux in San Antonio, Texas) Please send the picks diretly to the next in line (in Alaska, I believe). I'm sory that I'll miss the bus, but I gotta go to work so that I can feed my MAS and my family (not necessarily in that order):)

Keith Newell
Jan-10-2004, 6:12pm
Hey Landgrass, I'm the one that put the Galli 1.2 in the tour. I love it. The one I personally use is one I sanded a bit more radius on the points and it plays fast and smooth and gives a great tone.
You can get the Galli's at bigcitystring.com
Keith Newell

jehannarc
Jan-20-2004, 9:14am
Yay! Yay! It's coming to me!

Yay!

Landgrass
Jan-20-2004, 10:48am
Hey Erica.....Did you get the package yet? Monday there was no mail so maybe it will be delayed, but you should get it soon. Happy pickin' and let us know what you think.

jehannarc
Jan-20-2004, 12:24pm
I checked the mail yesterday and (because of the holiday) it was just stuff from Saturday.
Blah.

I'll keep my eyes peeled though!
This is excellent! I've been waiting for months.

Drew, if you're out there, the picks are coming! Woohoo!

dudleyunderhill
Jan-20-2004, 12:26pm
Is it too late to get on the list? #I must admit that I haven't read the whole thread yet, but I'd like to jump on board if possible!

jehannarc
Jan-21-2004, 2:02pm
It's here! I got home yesterday and the box was waiting on the front porch. I haven't been this excited since I was a kid on Christmas morning.
Very, very cool.

Bummer that Jim is going to miss out. Maybe there could be a second tour for those who missed the first?

I know we are supposed to send them off in less than 3-4 days, but I just started school again and inbetween that and my job, and my yoga and ceilidh dancing classes I won't have much time to play with them before the weekend. So I promise to get them in the mail early next week. Monday or Tuesday at the latest.

Drew... Drew... the picks are calling you... come they say... come to Erica's house for beer and pick-tasting... no, we won't actually taste the picks... I was just speaking figuratively and alluding to wine tasting in that we'll be trying different ones out.... Drew... the picks... the picks... and beer... there will be beer...

Drew L
Jan-21-2004, 2:29pm
Well alllright!! #Picks 'n' beer? #Life just really doesn't get much better than that, does it? #I'm going to have to dig through my bag of picks to see if i can add to the cause.

The ol' Rigel is strung up with a new set of strings in anticipation!

Christine W
Jan-21-2004, 3:07pm
jehannarc,
What is ceilidh dancing?

jehannarc
Jan-21-2004, 4:45pm
Drew - I was thinking the same thing. I'm pretty sure I have at least a couple to offer that aren't in the mix (yes, I cheated and looked them over last night, I did NOT play with them yet).

Christine - From what I understand, it's traditional Celtic social dancing (Irish, Scot, and Welsh). Dances can have just a couple people, or four, or eight, or herds and herds of them. We dance to a lot of familiar celtic songs like Tam Lin and Drowsy Maggie, etc. In fact, Billy Parker, who is on here occasionally, plays killer mando in the band that always plays at the dances.
My stepbrother plays viola in a contra band and apparently contra dance is very similar but more modern. It's a blast! The hubby and I swing each other as hard as we can, so the room and people spin and spin around you, it's fantastic! It's also fun to just sit and watch the interesting movements of the dancers as they weave in and around each other.

Here's me at a Ceilidh thinking "when the heck does the dancing start and why is this guy taking a picture of me when I'm so bored?" (the hubby is thinking "When can we eat" and "why is my whiskey already so low?"):

Erica Bored (http://community.webshots.com/photo/91447858/91448321iQmiIX)

Here's actual people dancing:

People Dancing (http://community.webshots.com/photo/91449525/91454353qGcfFU)

#http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Christine W
Jan-21-2004, 4:58pm
Erica,
I thought so but wasnt' sure. You do look bored, or mad but still a good pic. Sounds like fun!

jehannarc
Jan-21-2004, 5:17pm
Haha, I often look mad in pics, but I'm not, I was just bored and hungry and waiting for friends to show up.

If you ever have a chance to go to a Ceilidh or Contra Dance, you should go, they're wicked fun (when they get rolling)!

mandodude
Jan-21-2004, 10:57pm
...It's also fun to just sit and watch the interesting movements of the dancers as they weave in and around each other...

Like... WOW, man!! #I used to do that back in college!!

BTW, young lady... you never told us, but WHOA!! #You're a BABE!! #Makes me sorry I missed ya when you were up here visitin' Chi-Town last year!

;-)

BTW #2 - I KNOW that guy standin' behind you with the funny hat on his head... he used to play with me in my old band, Drowsy Maggie... #kind of a weird one, he was... used to call himself "Eileen"...

...y'get it?... #Eileen?... I-Lean?... y'see, in the picture he's...

...awww - nevermind...

mandopete
Jan-22-2004, 10:02am
Erica,

Please be sure to take Jim's name off of the list, I would hate for the tour bus to break down in Texas for 4 months #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Here's who is left . . . . .

Barb Cybart
Teri LaMarco
Daryl Thompson
Cancelled - Jim Comeaux
Odnamnool
Ben Ellis
Ira Kittrell
Jeff Sanders
Larry Wellman
Jeff Paradise
Dan Hagen

I'm very glad to hear that the tour is still alive and intact. #Sounds like the bus has picked up quite a few riders and I am anxious for it's return. #10 more stops to go !

JiminRussia
Jan-24-2004, 7:09pm
Mandopete and Erica, not to worry too uch. y wife is here and if they do arive, I will ust have her ship them on to he next, but it may delay things or a couple of days, and it's taken long enough as it is.

OdnamNool
Feb-04-2004, 5:09am
So...what's up with the tour? Where's it at? Reviews, anyone? Won't be long before it's my turn! Hurry it up, folks!

Tim Saxton
Feb-04-2004, 9:14am
Pete,

Did the Ivory pick I gave you for the tour when we met in Darrington ever make it out there?

Tim Saxton

jehannarc
Feb-04-2004, 10:37am
Mandodude,
I'm heading out to Chicago again next fall (Woohoo! Can hardly wait. I had so much fun the first time! Field museum here I come!). So maybe we can get together then?

Everyone,
Sorry! I've been hoarding the pick tour! Drew and I made plans to get together to try them out that Thursday but unfortunately I woke up Thursday morning with some stomach bug that left me bedridden and unable to eat more than a#couple of sips of soup for three days. (I lost five pounds in three days, how's that for a diet?!).
We did finally get together to try them out last Saturday, and it was soooo much fun! We have very different tastes as picks go (Drew prefers larger picks, and I like them wee and dainty). We both liked the old Dawg one that was included, and you could absolutely hear the difference compared with the new Dawgs. But, despite our different taste in picks, our favorite was the same, hands down. Bratsche's Le Nose Pick. The sound was incredible. We both loved it and I plan to order a custom pick from Bratsche ASAP.

I'll play with them a little more tonight and send them out tomorrow. I'll try to make some notes so I can post a more cohesive and complete review then as well.

Also, Jim has been taken off the list. I think it's a real bummer that he waited so long only to miss the tour. Maybe they can be sent out to him whenever he gets back?

My soup: #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

jehannarc
Feb-04-2004, 10:47am
Mandodude,
Hey, that's CHEF Eileen to you!
I mean, the funny hat just commands respect.

mandopete
Feb-05-2004, 10:52am
Pete,

Did the Ivory pick I gave you for the tour when we met in Darrington ever make it out there?

Tim Saxton
Tim,

It should be in there. The bus has been gone so long I have no idea what's in it anymore.

bratsche
Feb-05-2004, 12:52pm
But, despite our different taste in picks, our favorite was the same, hands down. Bratsche's Le Nose Pick. The sound was incredible.

Thanks for the kind words, Erica. Like you, I prefer smaller picks, but I really like the particular shape I made "le Nose" from. So I decided to make myself a pick that is in that kind of rounded triangular shape, but scaled down to about the size of a Dawg pick, or so. I used to be fondest of the teardrop shape, but this has become my favorite pick! Plus it has three points, instead of just one. ;)

I also envy your going to Chicago again so soon. I really enjoyed my own visit there last fall, although I didn't get to do much "sightseeing". The fall leaves were so pretty to someone who doesn't get to see that phenomenon too often anymore!

bratsche

OdnamNool
Feb-06-2004, 10:09am
Skip me on the tour too! My P.O. Box is closed and I'm takin' off for some R&R! Sorry I have to miss it!

OdnamNool
Feb-06-2004, 10:09am
Skip me on the tour too! My P.O. Box is closed and I'm takin' off for some R&R! Sorry I have to miss it!

OdnamNool
Feb-06-2004, 10:11am
(Whoops, sorry for the double post...)

mandopete
Feb-17-2004, 10:06am
Gosh, it's been so long since I've heard anything - is the tour still alive?

.............inquiring minds want to know.

aimee
Feb-18-2004, 12:24pm
Yup, it's still alive. Erica's sending them on to me and I'll send them on to the next promptly.

Mark Normand
Feb-18-2004, 3:57pm
You know, way back when this started, my mind musta been elsewhere. I would very much like to be added to this or the next tour.

Mandopete, email coming your way.

Thx!
Mark
ps: Currently stuck on BigStubby clear 1mm picks right now. Is a clear pick about the easiest thing to lose you ever saw? I just buy them by the 1/2 doz. now!

ira
Feb-18-2004, 10:58pm
i'm excited to get those picks just in time for their original use "good clean summer fun"
woohoo! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

aimee
Mar-01-2004, 10:53am
The tour bus is refueling and is scheduled to make its next stop within the week, barring traffic tie-ups. (In other words, as soon as I can re-tape the package and get to the Post Office, you'll get the picks, Teri!)

It's been a real treat to get to sample the more "rare" items on the tour- the ivory ones, the much-vaunted goat horn and the famous Dawg and Golden gate picks. (I had the curious impression that these latter made the mando sound like a guitar).

The one real surprise in the box was an unassuming little purple teardrop that I was ready to dismiss as too little, too pointy and too easy to drop into a sound hole. Jaybee's Hix medium brought out volume that even a non-mando spouse noticed from the next room.

Thanks to Pete and all participants for livening up a dull winter weekend.

mandopete
Mar-01-2004, 12:51pm
Thanks to Pete and all participants for livening up a dull winter weekend.
Y'all should have been at Wintergrass!

mandopete
Mar-04-2004, 6:47pm
Just recieved word that the tour is still alive and is now heading to Teri LaMarco in Jacksonville, Florida.

If the folks along the tour could send me some email to let me know when they recieve it I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

petekbcs@hotmail.com

Tim Saxton
Mar-04-2004, 8:50pm
Pete,

Did you send the ivory pick on tour that I gave you at Darrington last summer?

Tim Saxton

mandopete
Mar-04-2004, 8:52pm
Yes, it should be on the bus.

Tim Saxton
Mar-04-2004, 8:55pm
Even though we are nearly neighbors, how could I get on the tour?

Tim

mandopete
Mar-05-2004, 10:25am
At the current rate of speed, the bus should return sometimne this Spring. Once it gets back I'll set up a second tour.

WireBoy
Mar-06-2004, 12:57am
Hello MandoPete,

Any chance of me catching the tail end of the Original 1st Annual Mandolin Cafe Pick Tour? #I live in the LA Area so i don't think i'd have any problems parking the bus.

Mahalo

mandopete
Mar-10-2004, 6:00pm
Hello? Tour Bus? Are you out there?

?

?

strumNgrin
Mar-11-2004, 10:29am
I just returned from a medical mission to Honduras for 3 weeks. I had left instructions to let someone on the cafe board know if it arrived while I was gone, but it is not here yet. I hope to have it soon. I plan to do some work with a spectrum analyzer on each of the picks to see if I can detect any patterns related to composition, thickness, etc.
Anxiously awaiting,
Daryl

mandopete
Mar-12-2004, 10:25am
Very cool Daryl!

I have one request for the people who are still waiting for the tour. Since this tour has gone on much longer than I had intially anticipated, I would suggest that each of you contact the next recipient on the list prior to sending it out. That way we can make sure people still want it and can keep the old bus moving. Here's who is left on the schedule:

Daryl Thompson
Ben Ellis
Ira Kittrell
Jeff Sanders
Larry Wellman
Jeff Paradise
Dan Hagen

OdnamNool
Mar-20-2004, 6:55pm
Any reports?

mandopete
Mar-22-2004, 9:58am
Yes, I was wondering the same thing - has the bus gone in the ditch?

mandopete
Mar-30-2004, 10:06am
Hello? Is anybody out there? What has happened to the tour? Did the bus break down?

mandopete
Apr-08-2004, 6:33pm
Hey Daryl!

Have you had a chance to analyze the picks yet? #I'm intrigued by the notion of running them through the spectrum analyzer. #I really want to know if the pygmy goat horns are for real #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

OdnamNool
Apr-17-2004, 11:56pm
Well...YIKES!...Kinda mysterious, ain't it? How come there have been no reports? What's goin' on?

ira
Apr-18-2004, 1:20pm
do we know who has them?http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif???

mandopete
Apr-19-2004, 9:14am
Last I heard they were headed to Daryl Thompson for some testing with a spectrum analyzer. #It appears that once again that the bus has fallen into the ditch.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

mandopete
Apr-27-2004, 8:45am
Well after many months on the road and quite a few tour stops it appears that the bus has gone in the ditch. #I sent several emails to the last recipient and have not gotten any response. #I apoligize to the others on the list who were waiting for the tour. If I track it down I will let you know.

Thanks!

ira
Apr-27-2004, 9:00am
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

mandopete
Apr-27-2004, 9:03am
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

OdnamNool
Apr-28-2004, 5:11am
Wow... #That's a drag... #Good ole' mandopete put a lot of time and energy into the pick project... #I'm sorry to hear that things havn't gone as planned...

If the pick pocket is out there readin' this... #HEY!!! #Send 'em on!

levin4now
Apr-28-2004, 9:35pm
...and here I am looking to buy my bus pass! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

...this thing may ressurect itself yet...maybe someone went away on holidays, forgot they were next in line etc..? or am I too hopeful? How long have the picks been AWOL?

Bobbie Dier
Apr-29-2004, 4:27am
I was hoping to get on the next tour too.