PDA

View Full Version : Repair a banjo mandolin

Papafar
Jan-07-2012, 2:39pm
Purchased the instrument from a store that was in recievership so there was no one to ask if I had all the parts or how to put it together. I have included pictures and hope someone here can tell me: other than the skin, do I have all the parts and if not what I need and where to get it, where I can find instructions on how to put it back together.
What makes me think that I do not have the right parts or there is a part missing, is the fact that the holes in the rings do not line up with each other nor do either of them line up to the holes on the clips on the body.
So do I have a neat decoration or can it be repaired?

Jim Garber
Jan-09-2012, 9:08am
I am no expert on these British style banjo mandolins. You might try the guy who runs this site (http://www.whitetreeaz.com/vintage/brit1.htm). I don't know why but this one doesn't look all that old to me and the tailpiece looks like a similar one by a German company.

epicentre
Jan-09-2012, 9:40am
I once owned a similar instrument made by "Beare and Son - London England and Toronto" - all that on the label, believe it or not.

All the holes on both metal rims lined up, and also lined up with the holes on the pot.

It would appear your rims are from another banjo.

Big Joe
Jan-09-2012, 9:45am
It is hard to tell from photos. It seems you don't have enough bolts to do a complete assembly, but that is just a guess. Of course, you do need a head. What else it may needed is hard to say from photos. In addition, what it may need to actually make it play besides just the parts is another question that cannot be answered from photos. It looks cool but that is about all we can actually tell from the photos. Sorry we can't be of more help.

Papafar
Jan-09-2012, 9:51am
Thanks Epicentre. I kinda figured that but I was hoping there might be a simple part missing or something like that. Good thing I only paid 20 bucks for it.
Al

Papafar
Jan-09-2012, 10:00am
Thanks Joe. As I said to Epicentre, I was hoping it would be a simple fix but no such luck. Gives me something to look for at flea markets.
Al

Kip Carter
Jan-09-2012, 10:34am
Wanta sell it Papa?? Looks like a fun project!
Regards,
Kip...