PDA

View Full Version : Andy Statman in Seattle - looking for private lessons

Scott Tichenor
Jan-07-2012, 12:18pm
Andy contacted me yesterday to let me know he'd be in Seattle from Jan. 9-20 as a guest instructor at Univ. of Washington. In his down time he'd like to give some lessons. Rather than post his email or phone publicly I agreed to give out his phone number to anyone interested in getting together with him. He can be difficult to get ahold of via email as he doesn't have a personal computer at home so checking in is limited to visits to a public library (this is what I've been told anyway). Best to call. If you're reading this an interested, PM me or get ahold of me via the site contact page (http://www.mandolincafe.com/email.html) and I'll provide his cell number.

allenhopkins
Jan-07-2012, 12:46pm
...he doesn't have a personal computer at home so checking in is limited to visits to a public library (this is what I've been told anyway)...

Ah, a true acoustic musician! Surprised he has a cell phone...

(As I said snarkily, sitting at my iMac, where I spend much more time than I do with any of my mandolins.)

Laird
Jan-07-2012, 2:12pm
What an amazing opportunity! Wish I still lived in the Northwest.

M.Marmot
Jan-07-2012, 2:39pm
After reading the title, i was i thinking to myself 'now that's a fine example to us all, even a player as skilled and talented as Andy Statman is still learning and still looking to take private lessons. '

Now that i read the post the world makes far more sense.

A great opportunity, i'd be happy just to see Mr. Statman play, private lessons, i'd be too giddy to concentrate!

JEStanek
Jan-07-2012, 4:31pm
I think for teachers who are really committed to teaching and engaged in it, they frequently learn a good deal as they teach what they know to new students. Given how well Andy plays such a broad range of styles and collaborates with so many people, I'm not surprised he's such a dedicated teacher.

Jamie

Elliot Luber
Jan-07-2012, 5:22pm
I've had lessons with Andy (through the Cafe) and he's fantastic. Note that he won't answer his phone on Friday Night or Saturday Day.

Dave Greenspoon
Jan-07-2012, 8:56pm
I've had the great experience of learning with Andy, schlepping up to Flatbush from Baltimore for a number of lessons over the course of a year. It was amazing on every level. There is nothing like sitting across from him, hearing the tone from that great Kimble F-5 and watching how he is making it happen. The small tweaks he suggested to my mechanics, timing, etc were profoundly helpful; the larger expansion of the theory base was as well. From my experience I can only say that Andy is an amazing teacher and (as we say amongst the Tribe), a real mentsch. You'll never regret the experience.