PDA

View Full Version : New to forum

Smokey's Mom
Jan-06-2012, 1:08pm
Hi everyone. I'm a supernewbie with a lot of questions. Hope I'm not too much of a pain! I have mandolin that I got 4 years ago at the Gibson Showcase in Nashville. Just recently tried to play it. I have some How-to books and have been looking on YouTube for lessons. I read music and Tab and can plink plink out a tune but can't figure out how to do the solo's and breaks in bluegrass music. Any advice? Thanks in advance!

JeffD
Jan-06-2012, 2:46pm
There is no front door. Don't waste too much time looking for it. Just dive in the middle, you will eventually swim out to the edges, and where ever you dive in five years from now will seem like the wrong place. We all have our "had I but known.." lists, but universally the biggest regret is not starting earlier. Whenever we started.

As soon as humanly possible get thee to a jam. Find some way to regularly play with other people. A jam, a folks club, a song-share, a tune-share, a beginners jam, invite some beginners over for coffee. More important than anything. Music teachers point out that the biggest thing that distinguishes those that will stick with it and those that will drop out is regular playing with other people.

Oh, and there are lots of resources, like CDs and DVDs and books and instructors and such. All very good. Especially if you are playing regularly with other people.

Rodney Riley
Jan-06-2012, 3:28pm
As JeffD said. Find a group to play with. Church band stretched me farther than what I would have accomplished on my own. Still can't do breaks myself. But that's just because the talent is not in me. But I still love playing what and when I can :)

Ooops... and Welcome to the Cafe...