PDA

View Full Version : NEW MANDOLIN

PCypert
Feb-19-2004, 6:59pm
Hey all,
Hate to bore you with another "I got a new mandolin post", but I'm gonna because my fingers are too sore to keep playing so I need to type to stop myself. Just got in my Rigel A+ Standard. I'm not bad mouthing Mid Missouri, still think they have the best you can get for a solid wood starter, but man does this Rigel play. I know it's not in the league of what some of you play but this is sweet.

Can anyone recommend a good set of strings to start out on on this? Should I go with J74's or TI's? I played the old Martin's on my Mid Mo because they were 2 bucks a set. I'm out of those and wanting to move up to some real strings and weights. Mediums make the difference on my Larrivee. I've played for the last few hours on a really old set of strings and my fingers are burning. That's a good thing right? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif Can't wait to put on a new set and see what this thing can do. I can finally do chop chords and have them sound like I hear them! I loved the ringing chords I could do with the oval, but I love the actual whoomph sound. Anyway, just wanted to share.

***To the newbies reading the post: Play the mando you got for six months to a year without trading up. Play the heck out of it and save up. Those starter mandos are really good for learning and there's nothing wrong with them. After those six months give Dale a call and start the habit. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Km1000seth
Feb-20-2004, 5:17pm
I like to use the GHS silk and steel strings

mandofiddle
Feb-20-2004, 5:20pm
I've used J-74's for a number of years. Been meaning to try out the TI's, but am afraid I won't like em' and will be out more money than I'd like for strings. Now if they sent me a free set and I liked them I'd be a customer for life http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

John Flynn
Feb-20-2004, 5:48pm
I keep coming back to J74s on my Rigel A+ Deluxe. I tried the J67s for a while, but didn't like them. That heavy top seems to like some tension. If you want longer string life and more overtones, Rigel ships A+'s with EXP 74s now. I have had a couple of sets on my A+. I like the string life, but didn't care for the overtones. I have a couple of sets of D'Addario flat tops with the wound A string on order. I am going to give them a try. But of course, strings are a huge personal preference item.

doanepoole
Feb-20-2004, 10:18pm
If you're looking to expriment, when I had a Rigel, I found the Gibson Monel strings to give it a very cool unique sound.

I too always came back to J-74s, but those monel strings were a nice change of pace...very nice on the fingers, with a more clear, though less balls-y sound.

mandojosh
Feb-21-2004, 3:06pm
I use Elixer Nanowebs on my CT110, And they are great, Rigels are a dark mando on there own, so bright strings do em alot of good.

Josh Pinkham

JiminRussia
Feb-21-2004, 8:37pm
I picked up a set of D'Adario "Flat Tops" just to try them out. I can't vouch for their longevity, because i just put them on, but they sure do make the slides a lot easier to do. They are phosphor bronze and almost flat wound and even the "A" string is wound, not solid. They sound great, but at $almost $10.00 pwer set are a little pricey, but then again not at all like the TI's. I got mine from Mandolin Brothers on Staten Island.