PDA

View Full Version : Both A strings keep breaking! Could new tailpiece be problem?

werbel
Jan-02-2012, 2:44pm
Greetings, I broke 10 new A strings last night while changing the strings on my wonderful Morris. I recently had the original modest tailpiece replaced with something fancier:crying: and the action seems quite high. I can't feel a burr or roughness in the posts, but the strings are breaking at the post hole. Both A strings keep snapping and the tuning pegs seem quite stiff. I'm going to a luthier tomorrow, but I wondered if any of you might have a theory about this. I had no problems until I added the cosmetically improved tailpiece. I am distressed at myself! Thank you. Julie

Kip Carter
Jan-02-2012, 3:04pm
1st rule of diagnostics.... when something goes haywire... the last thing to change is the first place to look!

I'll let the experts provide you with some real insight.
Regards,
Kip...

Rick Lindstrom
Jan-02-2012, 3:57pm
Julie- you *are* persistent :)

One of two things is probably happening- you are either tuning the strings way above pitch, or the nut slots are far to tight. If you are a newcomer, I'd probably vote for a pitch problem.

Breaking at the tuning post has nothing at all to do with the tail piece. Neither would a new tailpiece cause the action to be high unless whoever installed it for you messed around with the bridge.

Posting a photo or two might help....

Rick

werbel
Jan-02-2012, 5:41pm
Thank you Rick. Alas it is not a pitch problem! Nut slots? Interesting.

werbel
Jan-02-2012, 5:43pm
Thanks, Ken. If I become enlightened, I'll let you and Rick (below) know.

Julie

John McCoy
Jan-02-2012, 6:39pm
I recently had the original modest tailpiece replaced with something fancier and the action seems quite high... <snip> ...and the tuning pegs seem quite stiff.

I assume that this isn't the first time you've changed strings on this instrument, just the first time with the new tailpiece.

You say you "had" the tailpiece replaced; that sounds like someone did it for you, instead of your doing it yourself.

If the post-tailpiece-switch action is too high and the pegs are tight(er than they were before), it sounds like whoever swapped out the tailpiece might have had an accident with the instrument and didn't completely repair whatever damage might have occurred.

== John ==

bmac
Jan-02-2012, 6:44pm
There almost has to be a kink in your strings caused by something in the tailpiece at that point of breaking. Any kink will cause breaking of the high strings. Or do you somehow put a sharp bend in your string before or during installation? I broke a few strings when first learning about installing strings, but never that many and if in the same place there is obviously a cause. My guess is that you are doing something wrong in string installation.... But I am unfamiliar with your new tailpiece so I can't give you much advice... But please let us know what your luthier says. many of us will be interested.

Mandobart
Jan-02-2012, 7:00pm
10 strings! Okay, assuming you've changed strings before on your Morris without incident, its hard to believe there's something wrong with the tuners. There are a few ways to wrap strings; I use the "old school" method. I can't see putting the string through the hole first and then cranking as many do; although it is a little easier it puts a sharp bend (deformation, stress point) in the string right where you don't want it. I wrap the string around the post 3 times for wound strings, 5 times for unwound, before passing the wild end through the hole in the post. As the string is tightened, the turns move up, locking the string into the hole. Cut off the wild ends after bringing the string up to pitch. There is no sharp bend in the part of the string under tension this way, and it makes removing them a lot easier. I just changed strings on one of my OM's and mandocello today, and did both in less than an hour.

I compliment your choice of instruments! Sonny Morris builds some great ones (fiddles and mandos). He built me a beautiful western redcedar and bigleaf maple oval hole a while back.

werbel
Jan-02-2012, 7:06pm
Hi Bart, the breakage is occuring near the posts that are turned by the keys. I mentioned the bridge because that is what has been modified. Thank you.

werbel
Jan-02-2012, 7:07pm
Thank you, I'll try this. I still have a couple of A strings left. My method is the first you mentioned, and perhaps I damaged the string.

Kip Carter
Jan-02-2012, 7:09pm
Julie,
Where exactly is the break occurring? Same spot every time?
Kip...

John Flynn
Jan-02-2012, 7:17pm
Just a thought: What kind/gauge of strings are you using? FYI, I 've had breakage problems with flatwound A strings before on two instruments that never had breakage problems on the A's before or since using flatwounds. The cores on flats are very thin.

werbel
Jan-02-2012, 7:42pm
Thank you to Mandobart and others who weighed in. I tried (again) using Mandobart's "old school" method and it worked fine. I was obviously damaging the string at the point where it entered the post. This was operator error, as is so often the case. And I second Mandbart's endorsement of mandolins by Sonny Morris!
Julie

Kip Carter
Jan-02-2012, 7:51pm
Julie,
So glad you found the problem... enjoy!
Kip...