PDA

View Full Version : Ebay F12

Gary Hedrick
Dec-30-2011, 3:30pm
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-GIBSON-F-12-Custom-Mandolin-/160708351698?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256af6d6d2

Maybe I'm a little dense...but I thought that "being built to '40's specs would be a little different than this one is....

small peghead.....different script.....

ah but what do I know...

MikeEdgerton
Dec-30-2011, 6:11pm
I think it's priced a little high no matter what.

mrmando
Dec-30-2011, 6:17pm
I'm not sure which '40s specs we are talking about, or which part of the '40s ... that logo was introduced in '48.

If this were a nice clean '50s F12 it would still be priced too high. Given that it's a '71, the pricing is waaaaaaaaaaay out of line.

JLeather
Jan-10-2012, 4:12pm
They are a dealer. There's a '7X at a local shop right now priced at $5995 and it is absolutely mint. Of course, it sounds pretty thick and dull so I feel it is way overpriced, but that seems to be the "dealer standard" for them. Dunno if it ever sold though.

f5loar
Jan-10-2012, 4:29pm
Nice photos is about all you can say about this one. Nothing "custom" about it, just straight 70's catalog F12 specs. That logo was not used in '48 or any part of the 40's for that matter. You would think (duh!) that Florida's oldest and largest vintage instrument dealer would at least have a few old 70's Gibson catalogs sitting around and not take the memory of a senile old man who says he customed ordered it this way. There is nothing remotely close to anything from a 40's F5. Where is the block inlay? Where is the straight across fat script "Gibson" logo (not 'The Gibson' which stopped in 1934). Where is the prewar style 40's F5 inlay (actually there were 2 types)? Nothing there. And what is up with that price? Sometimes that name "Gibson" can blind someone and cause you to loose all your sense of reality. You loose track of time and what year it was made. However there is just that ever so slight possiblity that another fool will be born that would pay that price for a 70's F12. Stranger things have happened before.

JeffD
Jan-10-2012, 4:44pm
Two cracks, one on each shoulder, on the back.

What could have caused that?

mrmando
Jan-10-2012, 7:14pm
Two cracks, one on each shoulder, on the back.
What could have caused that?
I blame the banjo player.