PDA

View Full Version : Clay Hess, Guitar Hoss, has left Sierra Hull

Scotti Adams
Dec-30-2011, 10:40am
Yep..last gig was Dec 10th. Clay is going out on his own to front his own band. The names of the members havent been released yet. He says hes more of a Traditionalist and that Sierra wanted to move in a different direction. The split was mutual. Personally I think it was a good move for Clay. I believe he still makes his home just down the road from me. Good Luck Clay. Clay and I have played together a few times in our younger days. I knew then he was going to be up there with the big boys...and girls.

Bill James
Dec-30-2011, 11:06am
Clay is absolutely one of my favorite bluegrass musicians. His rythem playing is first rate, awsome flatpicker, singer, can support a singer like few others can and is a great mandolin player and God knows what else he can do. Like Ronny Lane, he's the whole package and one of the gems in the bluegrass world. I love it when he comes to Minnesota.

Peter LaMorte
Dec-30-2011, 11:56pm
Clay's a real gentleman. I wish him good luck with his new band. The Man can pick and I'll be keeping my eye out for any news and show dates in Colorado.

Mike Bunting
Dec-31-2011, 12:21am
I met him up here a couple of years ago and had a nice visit. He is a super nice fellow too and I look forward to is new work, being somewhat of a traditionalist myself. :)

Ivan Kelsall
Dec-31-2011, 2:23am
That's guy's 'half Guitar' !!. A truly awesome (& tastefully so) player.I'm pleased that he's made the move away from a musical direction that wasn't to his taste,at least he's been honest & true to his 'musical' nature. One thing i didn't know & learned from Bill James' post above,that Clay plays Mandolin - can't say i'm surprised though.I hope that when he gets his band together they 'stick with it' & don't fall apart after a year or so,
Ivan;)

Kbone
Dec-31-2011, 9:26am
That's funny about the " traditionalist comment," as I heard Sierra say awhile back that she was leaning away from the more modern stuff & going the traditional route. I guess, everybody has the right to change their mind..

Ivan Kelsall
Jan-01-2012, 1:30am
Keith - It's probably the fact that what's 'Trad.' to some folk,is 'modern' to others. It depends on how far you've drifted from the shore before you turn back. I like the 'modern trad.' bands,the ones that use the instruments in a trad.manner but play new songs,'Balsam Range' springs to mind.If Clay heads up a band like that with pickers at his level,we've a treat in store !,
Ivan

jmalmsteen
Jan-01-2012, 10:23pm
He's a great musician. I heard him on the radio with one of his new songs. He made the right move.

Scotti Adams
Jan-02-2012, 12:23pm
Define traditional...problem is that todays crop of players such as Sierra's age group is that they tend to think traditional is AKUS.

DannyB
Jan-04-2012, 11:13am
I was just getting ready to order Clays CD and didn't know he had left Sierra. I really love her mando pickin but Clays singing that I've heard so far is awesome!!

Ryan Moyers
Feb-15-2012, 3:28pm
Hello Everyone. I ran across this thread and thought it would be fitting to introduce myself and give a little info. My name is Ryan Moyers and I will be filling the mandolin duties in the Clay Hess Band. I am a regular here on the cafe and enjoy the vast amount of resources offered to mando pickers. I, along with the rest of the band, am really excited about the new venture and think many people will enjoy the music produced. As per the traditional discussion, the band will have a good deal of traditional feel and backbone, if you will. I being 23, feel that traditional bluegrass (Ralph and Carter, Lester and Earl, Bill....) is essential for preservation and frankly it's just the best material ever! So enough about my opinions....The new band already has some vids on youtube if you want to check them out. Just type in 'Clay Hess Band' and it should come up. Looking forward to meeting some of you on the road!

Toycona
Feb-15-2012, 10:28pm
I must have caught one of Clay's last shows with Sierra (December 7th or 8th at the Freight and Salvage in Berkeley). He's the real deal on guitar, and a nice guy too. Good luck Ryan, and we'd love to see The Clay Hess Band out here in the Bay Area!!

Ryan Moyers
Feb-16-2012, 8:09am
Thanks! I'm sure we'll be out that way sometime!