PDA

View Full Version : Your friendly neighborhood Thomastik-Infeld rep!

ThomastikMike
Feb-19-2004, 4:36pm
Greetings, all. #It is my pleasure to be a member of the Forum. #My name is Michael Hershkowitz, and I am here as a representative from Thomastik-Infeld. #Kevin Reynolds (Thomguy) got a nice promotion and a new position, so he passed the Mando Cafe torch on to me. #

I'll be around at least once a week to answer any and all questions about our products. #I am NOT here to sell you strings and the like, or try to bash other companies. #Just the facts, ma'am.

I'm also lurking around other sites like Fiddle Forum, Maestronet, The Dude Pit, Banjo Hangout, and soon the Google Forum Metropolis. #My user ID is either ThomastikMike or TI_MIKE. #

Please use me as a resource for information about our products, and don't be afraid to contact me directly. #I look forward to meeting all of you!

Best regards,
Michael Hershkowitz (ThomastikMike)

johnwalser
Feb-19-2004, 4:51pm
Other companies make strings? Not in my house!
John

John Rosett
Feb-19-2004, 4:55pm
greetings mike!
i have a question for you.
is it possible to buy ti singles at a fairly reasomable price? i really like adding the wound a strings to the d'addario strings i normally use. the only place i've found that sells singles is just strings, and they want over $8. each for them!
i know this is an unusual question for a company rep. i think the ti strings are a great product, and i have tried the full sets on both of my mandolins, but they just aren't the right ones for me. however, i really like those wound a's.
thanks for your time, john

John Ely
Feb-19-2004, 5:08pm
Kevin used to send a set of strings to all members of this forum every two or three months. Are you going do that? I like the starks, but I also could use a set of guitar strings from time to time.

It is impressive that you guys are here, and make yourselves available. Even if I didn't prefer your strings, that alone would be enough to get me to give them a try.

ThomastikMike
Feb-19-2004, 5:09pm
is it possible to buy ti singles at a fairly reasonable price?

Not many online retailers even choose to carry our Mando singles, so if you are able to get them, snatch them up. #We don't control the final sale price for our strings, but $8.00 sounds about right. #Many different factors play into the cost, including raw materials, import costs, and the Dollar tanking in the European market. #But here is my qualifier: #TI strings last forever when you take care of them. #So, while $8.00 is a little stiff up front, in the long run, it's just an initial investment! #

I guess you were looking for a more direct answer to that question. #Email me directly, and I'll get you more information.

i know this is an unusual question for a company rep.

Actually, that was pretty normal compared to my daily grind. #Just don't start asking what the tensile strength of our bass strings is for towing freight...

John Flynn
Feb-19-2004, 5:25pm
Mike:

I thought it was Thomguy who said you are working a bronze wound string. What is the status on that?

mad dawg
Feb-19-2004, 5:33pm
I have a ten string mandolin, so I have two questions, one of which MandoRose already asked (re buying single strings). The other is regarding how to translate typical round-wound gauges (and tensions?) to TI strings: what TI gauges would the below builder-recommended 92/8 Bronze Wound strings translate to for CGDAE tuning*?

Light: # # ### #9, 12, 20w, 30w, 40w
Med-Light: #9, 13, 22w, 32w, 42w
Medium: # #10, 14, 24w, 34w, 44w

How would you suggest buying them, all singles, or specific sets plus singles for the low pair?

*NB: if you can't do an exact match on the low pair, I would prefer to err on the heavier side since I am trying to tune them down to C.

mandorado
Feb-20-2004, 12:59am
I think I ordered some single Thomastik strings from http://www.juststrings.com last year. Yes, they do sell them still. Prices are ok. And service was fairly fast.
Great strings ... can't wait to see if they follow through with the bronze wound.

ThomastikMike
Feb-20-2004, 9:15am
Mike:

I thought it was Thomguy who said you are working a bronze wound string. What is the status on that?
At one point there was an idea in the works for mando strings similar to our Jazz Bebops, with an extremely dense thin-diameter round-wound nickel, or possibly bronze winding.

But...it was put on the back burner. Those Bebops are pretty amazing, so it would have been interesting to hear.

Sorry!

ThomastikMike
Feb-20-2004, 9:16am
I have a ten string mandolin, so I have two questions, one of which MandoRose already asked (re buying single strings). The other is regarding how to translate typical round-wound gauges (and tensions?) to TI strings: what TI gauges would the below builder-recommended 92/8 Bronze Wound strings translate to for CGDAE tuning*?

Light: # # ### #9, 12, 20w, 30w, 40w
Med-Light: #9, 13, 22w, 32w, 42w
Medium: # #10, 14, 24w, 34w, 44w

How would you suggest buying them, all singles, or specific sets plus singles for the low pair?

*NB: if you can't do an exact match on the low pair, I would prefer to err on the heavier side since I am trying to tune them down to C.

I'll have an answer as soon as I get the updated tension/gauge information from Vienna.

beachbum
Feb-20-2004, 4:41pm
Forgive my ignorance but you mentioned that the strings last forever if you take care of them. Exactly what should one do to take care of them? I just put a set of TI mediums on my MK. Thanks!
Susan

ThomastikMike
Feb-26-2004, 12:40pm
Forgive my ignorance but you mentioned that the strings last forever if you take care of them. #Exactly what should one do to take care of them? #I just put a set of TI mediums on my MK. #Thanks!
Susan
Hi Susan! #Great question.

There are a few things that you should/shouldn't do to extend the lives of any set of strings.

The first (and most important) thing to do is thoroughly check your instrument before you string it up. #What you are looking for is any dirt, metal burrs or sharp angles at the contact points, i.e. the nut and the bridge. #Nine out of ten breakages occur from the slightest amount of undo pressure on the string.

Second, don't over-tune the strings, or lower the tension when you are finished playing. #Strings are meant to endure a certain amount of tension, and then give a little to adjust to your instrument. #

Finally, gently wipe down the strings with a microfiber cloth when you are one playing, and before you put it away. #This will ensure that no finger residue or atmospheric pollution (polite term form bar funk) accumulates on the strings. #Some people use a little isopropyl alcohol on a soft cloth to clean the strings after a period of time. #This should be safe.

Give the strings some TLC and they will repay you threefold!

Ancient
Feb-27-2004, 11:52am
I make my living playing the mandolin and have been curious about your strings. I use Daddario 74s phosphor bronze. I have also tried the EXP74s and I don't think I am happy with them. After a week they are showing signs of going dead. I have wanted to try your strings but I don't know which set would be simular in tension as the mediums I use. Also the cost of a set has stopped me from trying them.

Jim M.
Feb-27-2004, 12:20pm
Mike - Here's a question for both fiddle and mandolin. Is there a particular string you would recommend for cross-tuning, where one changes the string tunings regularly. Most strings I've tried have a varying tendency to return to the original tuning. Are there strings that will minimize that tendency? Thanks.

ThomastikMike
Mar-01-2004, 12:12pm
I make my living playing the mandolin and have been curious about your strings. I use Daddario 74s phosphor bronze. I have also tried the EXP74s and I don't think I am happy with them. After a week they are showing signs of going dead. #I have wanted to try your strings but I don't know which set would be simular in tension as the mediums I use. Also the cost of a set has stopped me from trying them.
Thank you for your interest in our strings. #Thomastik-Infeld Mando strings are unique in that they use a tight chrome flat winding which is easy under the fingers, highly responsive, and creates beautiful sustain. #We use the term Mittel to define our medium gauge of strings, which should be comparable, if not lower in tension to the 74's you are using. #Our catalog number for the mando strings are #154.

Our commitment to using only the purest and finest quality materials makes it more expensive, but players who use our strings have come to learn that since our strings last so long, this results in a lower long-term cost.

ThomastikMike
Mar-01-2004, 12:31pm
Mike - Here's a question for both fiddle and mandolin. Is there a particular string you would recommend for cross-tuning, where one changes the string tunings regularly. Most strings I've tried have a varying tendency to return to the original tuning. Are there strings that will minimize that tendency? #Thanks.
Here is why I can't recommend cross-tuning on ANY string: #Strings are designed to produce a characteristic sound at a particular tension. #Anytime a string is stretched beyond that threshold, there is the chance that it will break, or that the tone will become less responsive. #For that reason, I can't recommend anything other than traditional tuning. #But then again, Microsoft never recommends that we tweak the registry...

Now, if you are talking about tuning the bottom 2 strings on your fiddle up a whole step to AEAE, it is possible, but not recommended. #The increased tension may damage your instrument. #I would try lowering the bridge before you attempt to cross-tune.

If you were to cross-tune, I would recommend any type of high quality steel-core strings, which are less apt to stretching back to the original tuning. #I wouldn't try any tuning that involves changing the pitch of a string more that a half or whole step.

ThomastikMike
Mar-01-2004, 12:35pm
From this point we should probably move our string discussions to the "Equipment" section of the discussion boards.

If you have a specific question for me, please feel free to contact me directly at info@connollyandco.com.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR QUESTIONS!

Hubert Angaiak
Apr-13-2004, 6:00pm
At first I tried a set of mittel strings since I normally use the J74 D'Addario set mediums. The mittel string set were too light for my taste and made my mando sound thin. I took them off and gave them away since I them on for a day. I bought another set of heavy strings and these are closer to the J74's in term of string gauges and they sound better. These are pretty expensive strings as mando strings go and what bothers me is the e strings have tiny specks of rust on them right out of the envelope. Since I have a very high quality mandolin I'd try the high quality/high priced strings. Do you know if you will try to control the rust problem?

THP
Apr-13-2004, 10:40pm
Hey Ancient and Hubert
I would agree with Hubert, the heavy gauge TI(stark) are the way to go..great tone and great feel. I havent had any rust problems though.
Hope this helps
Anthony
www.hickoryproject.com

peterbc
Apr-13-2004, 11:47pm
What's the tensile strength of your bass strings for t.... Whoops!