PDA

View Full Version : Which arm rest??

gbarnett
Dec-27-2011, 12:13am
Hi Folks,
I've been looking at five or six different arm rests which are available, all similar in appearance and price. I am thinking that I might like one which covers the tail piece. I was just wondering if there are any preferences out there and why one might be preferred over another.
Thanks in Advance,
George

Londy
Dec-27-2011, 12:15am
Speaking of arm rests... I was thinking about one for my Mandobird but I am not sure that is possible. Any suggestions?

TheMandoKit
Dec-27-2011, 12:53am
I'm a big fan of the McClung armrest from Doug Edwards at Hill Country Stringworks. I have one on each archtop mandolin I own, and will order another when I get the mandolin that is being built for me now. They have an angle that just feels right to me. I do not have the "over the tailpiece" style (my arm doesn't get down that far), but I believe Doug makes them.

Good product, and Doug is a nice guy to deal with. Fast service, too. NFI, other than being a satisfied customer.

Loretta Callahan
Dec-27-2011, 1:11am
I'll second the referral for Doug at Hill Country Stringworks. (http://hillcountrystringworks.com/) I have a beautiful rosewood armrest with a gorgeous inlay that I love.:grin:

almeriastrings
Dec-27-2011, 1:55am
I like Steve Bell's. Have several of them. All nicely made and comfortable in use.

Malcolm G.
Dec-27-2011, 4:51am
Have a Bell and three of Doug's - all great.

strings777
Dec-27-2011, 6:31am
Ditto what TheMandoKit and Loretta Callahan said. :)

8ch(pl)
Dec-27-2011, 7:16am
I have a Cumberland Acoustic on my M-4 (Mid Missouri) and a McClung on my M-1. I like both, but I believe the McClung has a slightly better angle. Also it was made for a Mid Missouri, the CA one doesn't fit the curve of the instrument quite as well. Both Steve Smith and Doug Edwards are really good people to deal with.

I believe that the armrest is important on the Matt finish of a Big Muddy or Mid Missouri. The finish on my M-4 became so grubby, impossible to clean, so I sanded it off and refinished the top with semi-gloss Nitrate-cellulose Lacquer.

G7MOF
Dec-27-2011, 8:04am
Speaking of arm rests... I was thinking about one for my Mandobird but I am not sure that is possible. Any suggestions?

Apart from the comfort side of things, I wouldn't have thought you'd benifit from an armrest, as it won't change or help the tone or volume.

Perhaps I'll be contradicted on this one!!!

Kip Carter
Dec-27-2011, 8:49am
I like Steve Bell's. Have several of them. All nicely made and comfortable in use.

The other web site was helpful does Steve Bell have one for his arm rests? Trying not to ask nube questions here but I think give my arm laying across the body of my mandolin that an arm rest would be a nice addition to my lil guy.
Kip...

gbarnett
Dec-27-2011, 9:43am
Thanks to all for your responses. I was looking at both the McClung and the Bell because they both cover the tailpiece which my arm sometimes wanders across. :redface: It is interesting to hear about the difference in angles. I have been using armrests on my guitars for years and they really make a difference, both in comfort and tone/volume and the angle is of prime importance. At least in my world. :)
Thanks again,
George

extremescene
Dec-27-2011, 10:15am
I just got a curly maple armrest from Lynn Dudenbostel.. couldn't be happier! $40 shipped. Hard to believe I played for so many years without one, but my newly acquired MT2 Varnish made me spring for one.

gbarnett
Dec-27-2011, 10:52am
I've just ordered one from Doug Edwards. I'll post, if this poor ole' brain remembers to, once it is delivered/installed/used a bit.
:)
Thanks again,
George

Ed Goist
Dec-27-2011, 12:36pm
+1 for Steve Bell...Top notch product and service.

Rob Gerety
Dec-27-2011, 12:39pm
I like arm rests. But, I recently had the experience of a cork pad on one side of my arm rest causing what appears to be permanent imprinting in the finish of an old teens Gibson. Not sure I will put it back on until I find away to avoid this problem.

Jason Kessler
Dec-27-2011, 12:51pm
I like arm rests. But, I recently had the experience of a cork pad on one side of my arm rest causing what appears to be permanent imprinting in the finish of an old teens Gibson. Not sure I will put it back on until I find away to avoid this problem.

This is what is making me hem and haw (well, maybe just hem) about getting an arm rest, even though I find the edge of my mando a bit uncomfortable. I worry about the varnish finish on my Eastman. Have others had problems with finish issues due to arm rests?

gbarnett
Dec-27-2011, 1:31pm
This is what is making me hem and haw (well, maybe just hem) about getting an arm rest, even though I find the edge of my mando a bit uncomfortable. I worry about the varnish finish on my Eastman. Have others had problems with finish issues due to arm rests?

I just snipped this from Doug Edwards' website. It's from his FAQ section.

http://hillcountrystringworks.com/readystock.html

"Will an armrest damage my finish?

It is possible to cause some damage using and armrest.
Using a strap, tuner, and arm contact will also damage a
finish. I can add felt as well as cork for those who desire. The
felt to me seems to slip more and sometimes requires the
armrest to be tightened more than it needs to be.

Currently I'm using leather instead of cork on my products."

L8R,
G

nickster60
Dec-27-2011, 2:23pm
I have a Mclugg Doug Edwards has great service

tr6drvr
Dec-27-2011, 2:34pm
I love my McClungs; comfortable and beautiful. Doug does great custom inlay work on them as well.

Yes, they damage varnish finish, as it has on my Northfield. Nitro finishes on Gibson and The Loar seem to be doing fine with it.

Elliot Luber
Dec-27-2011, 2:59pm
McClurg.

mandroid
Dec-27-2011, 5:18pm
arm over the tailpiece , then none are needed..
though I got one for my Lebeda, it's sharp edge of the recurve made me go shopping..

Rob Gerety
Dec-27-2011, 5:54pm
I did notice that the damage to the finish was only on the side where cork was used to pad the armrest. The other side was padded with a thin strip of leather. I may put mine back on but use leather this time.

Mandobart
Dec-27-2011, 5:57pm
NFI, but I like Steve Bell's arm rests a lot. I have four; on a mandolin, OM, mandola and mandocello. Send him a trace of your instrument lower bout where your arm will be resting to get a great fit. He is great to work with. He will make a custom size for your instrument if you want. Delivery was quite prompt for me in every case. He uses leather on the side that contacts the instrument. He can be contacted at:

gsbell26@gmail.com or at

gsbell@grantsburgtelcom.net

Pastor Chuck
Dec-27-2011, 6:28pm
I'll 3rd the referral for Hill Country Stringworks armrest. Had one put on my F style "The Loar" and I swear I play better. Good product.

PT9Baja
Dec-27-2011, 6:47pm
Hill country, I am a new player , its comfortable and helps me put my arm in the same place every time.

Paul Busman
Dec-27-2011, 7:50pm
On a solid body electric there's no need to worry about altering the acoustics of the instrument. I'd say make your own. Figure out where it would be most comfortable and how thick you'd like it to be. Cut the rest out of some suitably thick wood (maybe a bit over-thick) and roughly round it with rasps and/or sandpaper. When you think it's close, temporarily hold it in place with tape and try playing with it in place. If it's too thick you can sand it down. When you get it feeling good and comfortable, do your final shaping and sanding and apply your choice of finish. Plain black would probably be safe, appearance wise. Epoxy ought to hold it in place just fine, but you could run a couple of wood screws in through the back too.

Mandobart
Dec-27-2011, 9:19pm
On a solid body electric there's no need to worry about altering the acoustics of the instrument. I'd say make your own....Epoxy ought to hold it in place just fine, but you could run a couple of wood screws in through the back too.

Yikes! I would not choose to permanently affix with epoxy or screw through the body. I would recommend using the same type turnbuckle hardware the pros use:

Chinrest hardware (http://www.decormusic.com/category/402458)

I have made my own arm rests out of oak and maple and used the above hardware for a solid, non-permanent mount. But I still prefer Steve Bell's work over my own.

raulb
Dec-28-2011, 10:37am
Apart from the comfort side of things, I wouldn't have thought you'd benifit from an armrest, as it won't change or help the tone or volume.

I don't understand your point. Whether it effects the sound or not was/is irrelevant to me. Not having the tailpiece dig into my arm is the advantage I was looking for from my McClung over the tailpiece armrest.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6074/6098406482_4f88b3f8fa_s.jpg

raulb
Dec-28-2011, 10:42am

I don't understand your point. Whether it effects the sound or not was/is irrelevant to me. Not having the tailpiece dig into my arm is the advantage I was looking for from my McClung over the tailpiece armrest.

G7MOF
Dec-28-2011, 1:22pm
My apologies, I was answering the first reply to your thread about the Mandobird.

Paul Busman
Dec-28-2011, 5:40pm
Yikes! I would not choose to permanently affix with epoxy or screw through the body. I would recommend using the same type turnbuckle hardware the pros use:

oak and maple and used the above hardware for a solid, non-permanent mount. But I still prefer Steve Bell's work over my own.

I'd normally agree and in fact used that kind of hardware to make my own arm rest for an IV kit mando. However, the somewhat odd shape of the Mandobird might make that impractical-- Google up a picture of one. The turnbuckle hardware would necessitate the rest being at the edge of the instrument, but it looks to me that this would place it pretty far away from where it would do much good. I'll confess I haven't had my hands on a Mandobird, so I might be wrong. Looks like the rest would need to be in the middle of a large area of solid wood to support the arm/wrist, which is why I suggested glue or screws.

Phil Goodson
Dec-29-2011, 8:40am
I did notice that the damage to the finish was only on the side where cork was used to pad the armrest. The other side was padded with a thin strip of leather. I may put mine back on but use leather this time.

I've seen damage on varnish AND on some lacquer instruments too. It's always been where CORK touched the finish. Now I ALWAYS replace the cork with leather and try to minimize the contact area of the armrest just to the binding as much as possible.

murphnmattie
Jan-04-2012, 11:10am
steve bell makes a great one..i have two and the third is on the way..$35.00 shipped great to deal with and he does make an over the tailpiece model for a little more $...quick shipping

'02 Dearstone D-1a
'05 Ratliff R-5
'04 Montgomery Stingray
'10 J Woody Custom

Londy
Jan-04-2012, 9:36pm
Thanks guys for all the feedback regarding the Mandobird. I think because of the odd shape I will opt out of the arm rest. I do not want to damage the beautiful finish in any way. Its such a sweet and solid instrument I would hate to blemish it in any way.

Toycona
Jan-04-2012, 9:47pm
This comes up every couple of months. I'm a Steve Bell fan, for sure!!!

Kip Carter
Jan-04-2012, 10:00pm
Steve has my order as soon as I get my restoration ducks in a row. Working with him thus far has been a pleasure!
Kip...

Rich Michaud
Jan-05-2012, 7:02pm
I wish to add my two cents. I have tried many armrests. The smaller ones are the best. L. Dudenbostel makes a great one. Yes, there is a problem of imprinting the top with the cork-all the more reason for a smaller one. A solution to the imprinting is to have the cork rest only on the binding-not the wood. I have added grommets and/or felt to the vertical metal bars which moves the cork away from the wood onto the binding. That also moves the metal bars away from the wood and avoids scratching the finish. I will post a photo later to make this clearer. Rich Michaud

yankees1
Jan-05-2012, 7:23pm
I bought a Dudenbostel and love it ! Just wish I had a Dude mandolin to go with it! :)

Rich Michaud
Jan-06-2012, 7:58pm

Here is my armrest on my Dude. RIch

gbarnett
Jan-12-2012, 11:03am
I just received/installed/tried out my new McClung OTP Arm rest and I LOVE IT!!!! Thanks to Doug for a fine job. He emailed me a couple of times, with pictures, advising me of the progress and offering me options in terms of wood/finish.
I love the feel of it and the look of it.
Thanks Doug!!! :mandosmiley:
Best,
George