PDA

View Full Version : Video: The Wren Song (mando/tenor 'jo)

Jake Wildwood
Dec-24-2011, 7:24pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB7J-L7QsXo

Mr. Tom and I did my version of this song on Friday as well as some other Celtic-y music for a local mixed show, but we figured we'd pop this one up on the 'tube for the holidays.

And no, I didn't intend to cut my head off, tehe.

Originally I sang this with a mandola which sounded nice, but that sold, and now the tenor that I'm playing it on in this video sold... so I guess I have to go and find myself a another mandola now!

CES
Dec-24-2011, 7:51pm
Me likey...

Merry Christmas, fellas, and thanks for posting!

Jill McAuley
Dec-25-2011, 12:41am
Nice one Jake, enjoyed that!

Cheers, and Happy Christmas to you!
Jill

Randi Gormley
Dec-25-2011, 8:30am
Very nice! thanks for posting.

bruce.b
Dec-25-2011, 8:39am
Excellent! Love the relaxed feel you guys get.

Bernie Daniel
Dec-25-2011, 11:27am
Very nicely performed -- really liked that one. Great to hear this wren song.

Wrens are great birds -- here in North America the House wren (Troglodytes aedon) with its incessant cascading waterfall of a song, and its ready use of human-made nest boxes is probably what most think of when they hear "wren".

But it is here only in the summer months to nest -- a far more interesting bird for those of us in the Eastern part of the USA is, I think, the feisty little Carolina wren (Thryothorus ludovicianus). It sings all year and has literal scores of very different vocalizations (at least 60 recorded)!

But I expect that this song you are singing was really written about the Winter Wren
(Troglodytes troglodytes) a European bird very similar in looks and habits to the House wren. (actually the Winter wren is also in N. America but considerably more rare than he House wren.

Few kinds of birds have stirred more human passion both for and against then the wrens! :)

My grandmother loved the little House wren, and she had boxes all around her farmyards for them. Bluebirders often despise them because they take over the their nest boxes and destroy bluebird eggs -- they are extremely territorial and will often destroy the eggs of any bird in the area including non-cavity nesters like Robins and warblers -- another trait that does not endear the little buggers.

Wonder why the Canadians decided to call their women's division of the military the WRENS! :)

Malcolm G.
Dec-25-2011, 11:55am
Way to go, you guys!

Jake Wildwood
Dec-25-2011, 3:48pm
Thanks everyone!

Also, thanks Bernie for the wren info!

Barry Wilson
Dec-25-2011, 7:30pm
That was very cool. I've learned about so many new instruments from this forum. Thanks for yet another example.

mrmando
Dec-25-2011, 9:19pm
The lyrics refer to an Irish tradition of hunting wrens on St. Stephen's Day (Dec. 26):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wren_Day

Bernie Daniel
Dec-25-2011, 11:04pm
The lyrics refer to an Irish tradition of hunting wrens on St. Stephen's Day (Dec. 26):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wren_Day

I did not know that! And my wife is second generation Irish too!

Jake Wildwood
Dec-25-2011, 11:34pm
Yup, hence the beating it down from the hedges with a stick and what-not.

Marcelyn
Dec-26-2011, 7:37am
That was awesome, Jake. Thanks for sharing this great holiday tune.

Kip Carter
Dec-26-2011, 9:49am
Irish.. bad blood.. I know.. I are one! :))
Kip...

billhay4
Dec-26-2011, 11:19am
Jake and Mr. Tom,
Most excellent!
Bill

BradKlein
Dec-26-2011, 11:49am
Nice job Jake!

I'm visiting family on the Olympic peninsula, and I love seeing the winter wren (the wren of your song) in the temperate rainforest here. Even better to hear them sing when it warms up around here.

Like Bernie, I enjoy the natural history that's present in old and new songs - and the differences in the old world and new world names for critters. Several times I've had visitors from England walk up to me in NYC's Central Park and ask, "what is that bird that looks something like a robin, but larger?" I tell them, "we call it... a robin!" (American robin, to be more precise)

Bernie Daniel
Dec-26-2011, 12:46pm
Nice job Jake!

I'm visiting family on the Olympic peninsula, and I love seeing the winter wren (the wren of your song) in the temperate rainforest here. Even better to hear them sing when it warms up around here.

Like Bernie, I enjoy the natural history that's present in old and new songs - and the differences in the old world and new world names for critters. Several times I've had visitors from England walk up to me in NYC's Central Park and ask, "what is that bird that looks something like a robin, but larger?" I tell them, "we call it... a robin!" (American robin, to be more precise)

Yes Brad! And I for one would pick the Winter wren's song over that of the House wren's any day -- though perhaps it is merely that I hear the latter everyday in the summer months and the former so rarely! Enjoy and see if you can see a link to the song by Jake and Mr. Tom! This should make you feel at home Brad. This habitat is where I most associate the Winter wren's song as well. I just don't get there often!

jo0QVThca3U

Pete Jenner
Dec-27-2011, 11:28am
Haha - the first time I heard that song I was about 9 years old. It was on a Clancy Brothers record the parish priest brought to the house. That was 1967 I believe.

Here are the Clancys doing it in 1969. (gotta love youtube).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOpwRsowgP8

Jake Wildwood
Dec-27-2011, 7:01pm
Yup, they totally do theirs rowdier. :)

Eddie Sheehy
Dec-27-2011, 11:45pm
I gave up on Wren Hunting years ago... not enough meat for a sandwich... and forget about an omelet...